Thread: packJPG v2.5C3

Thanks

Thumbs up packJPG v2.5C3

Hi!

I'm Matthias Stirner, the developer of packJPG. I'm going to open-source packJPG within the next few weeks, and I figured it couldn't hurt to post the release candidate here for those who want to try it. The final version will be released along the source code.

I already fixed a few bugs, but maybe there are still some other files that can lead to a crash (with the old v2.4, too). If so, please post here or contact me.

Before I open-source, I still need to do some code cleanup, renew the docs, and, most importantly, to settle for a license. I'd go for the GPL, but then I also want to give freeware closed source developers a no-hassles chance to use the library. If someone makes money from my work, however, I want a share of it or at least be asked for permission.

My ideas so far involve dual licensing (GPL+???) or GPL + special permissions for closed source developers. Any ideas via PN or email would be very welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    QuickLZ is dual licensed, you can contact the author.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Minor issue but it didn't like me using /v2 as a switch, had to use -v2.

And hurrah -dev is working, i see -c is now -t. Although the program crashed on every file(large or small) i tried when using -s50 to -s51 & -t1 to -t10, ie packjpg -dev -s50 -t1 {file}
    It just stops at:
    Processing file 1 of 1 [ ]
    with exe has encountered a problem and needs to close, on small files the size sits at 0 bytes but on larger ones it was 8192 bytes. This is on XP SP3.
    Oddly -t0 worked though.

So far it looks like some nice gains on files, it's still not so good with optimised or progressive optimised jpegs compared to stuffit though.

Thanks
    Thanks for pointing this out! Well, I didn't pay attention . The actual maximum for the segmentation setting (s segments) is 49. The setting is clamped internally now, so if you choose, say -s50, it would just use -s49 instead. Same goes for -s0 which would use -s1 instead.

-t? controls the noise threshold, that is, for each coefficient, the upper t bitplanes are considered non-noise, everything below is considered noise and coded differently with a simpler approach. If you choose -t0, everything is considered noise, and everything is coded the same. Similarily, if you choose -t10, nothing is considered noise, and everything is coded the same, too (but differently). The optimum for a given file lies in between. Note that, due to quantization, coefficients in the 64 spectral bands are typically made up of something between 6 and 8 bitplanes, so you might not see any difference between -t10 and -t9.

Btw, the default for segmentation (-s?) is 10. The default for the noise threshold (-t?) is dependant on the size of the input file. Higher sizes mean higher t - theres more data for the statistical model to learn in bigger files, so less has to be considered noise.

The inclusion of the developer options is controlled by a simple define in the code. If someone had asked me I would have been happy to make a developer-enabled v2.4, too .
    Last edited by packDEV; 22nd October 2011 at 17:43.