Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105
Results 3,121 to 3,130 of 3130

Thread: FreeArc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    about free version - i will definitely make a free version that can unpack any freearc archives. the rest is questionable, may be it should support only default freearc compression mode as appetizer? remember, my goal is to get paid by people who need sophisticated compression/backup/... tools. if you request to make sophisticated compression modes free, the question remains - who will pay for their development?
    If you make the price of the paid software low enough, it is no longer an issue for someone interested in buying your software. If it costs (for example, in my currency) $2, everyone I know of would immediately buy it if it is good. If you raise that price over $5, you will lose significant sales. If the price approaches $25, you will lose most sales as the perceived value of a compressor isn't that high. Overall, the lower the price, the more sales you will get. The more sales you get, the more word-of-mouth spreads about your software, driving sales up even more.

If it were my decision, I would offer three editions:

1) A free decompressor, that can also do a *few* compression algorithms (like zip).
    2) A Regular version, that has most features in the package (all algorithms) but no support. Sells for maybe $1-$3. Average users would use this.
    3) A Pro version, that has every feature possible (like batch capability, etc) and includes support. Sells for around $20. High-end users would use this.

I have said for a long time that sales are inversely proportionate to cost, if interest already exists. There is obviously a market for specialized compression software, and it is large enough to support continued development. But if you price your software too high, you drive people to the free software and away from yours.

1,000 copies at $20 is $20,000. But 50,000 copies at $2 is $100,000. Plus you have 49,000 MORE users talking about your software, recommending it to others.

Thanks
    I'm using cls-precompmt.dll (for precomp.exe) on Innosetup (unarc.dll) but an Error occured when unpacking:

Unarc.dll returned an error code: -1
    ERROR: archive data corrupted (decompression fails)

But I use the same files with unarc.exe or arc.exe no decompressing problem.

What is problem ? maybe problem is unarc.dll.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_08_18_19_01_46.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	4752

ps: unarc.dll

(size: 341.504 bytes date: 15.03.2014)

Thanks.

Thanks
    Hi Bulat, you can keep entered on the command line "-hp -p" without creating the archive with the password ??? thankss.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    well, yes and no. i don't plan to continue active development of freearc 0.x core. instead, i want to publish existing version as 1.0, and make it commercial (i.e start to sell it).

OTOH, i develop next-gen freearc with the following features:
    - 64-bit version, handling lzma dictionaries up to 4GB
    - deduplication support a-la zpaq and srep
    - Lua-extensible (f.e. half of options are already defined by Lua code)
    - very fast on big archives, thanks to C++ (rather than Haskell) implementation and smart disk access
    - data protection with LDPC codes, superior to any existing programs like rar/par2

It will support existing freearc format as well as provide new one, and will be integrated with existing freearc gui. My future plans include GPU compression and new GUI, but both these topics require a lot of time for development, so i can't promise.

i have the same question to you and everyone waiting for 0.70: what are the features you are missing in freearc?
    hi Bulat - we are actually missing a new version - in any shape - which may include not all of the features from above. More specifically - missing / would like to have:
    - 64 bit support. Right now - Alpha version is using 2.1G out of 20G of RAM
    - Better CPU utilization (e.g. like ZPAQ - ramp up to 99% right away). Right now - compressing with Alpha ~130G of data (from RAID to SSD), CPU utilization ~23% (i7-2600K)
    - For the new version - backwards compatibility
    - Dynamic selection of the best compression algorithm based file extension / data / etc.

Optional requirements (low on the priority list):
    - Multipart support
    - Recovery
    - Integration with other extensions or extension capabilities

Thanks
    there is also a first alpha of FreeArc'Next in the case you don't know. it has 64-bit version & full cpu utilization in faster modes. and its -dup mode in my tests was ~10x faster than zpaq for the same comression ratio. next release will use the same .arc format as existing freearc. if you have questions on freearc'next, better to ask me in that topic

about existing freearc:
    - it can use up to 4GB RAM with -lc- -ld- switches and manual method tuning. But more populat alternative is using external packers instead of builtin algos, in particular 64-bit fazip that can replace built-in lzma/rep and break memory barrier. since it can compress from stdin to stdout, it doesn't need hdd space for temofiles and as fast (even faster) as built-in algos
    - higher compression modes involving lzma:max compression can't utilize more than 2 cores due to algorithm restrictions. default compression mode utilizes all cores. you have a choice. i agree that algorithm utilizing all cores even in highest compression modes is a big plus, but it will require ~half-year for development. so i have it in my list, but with rather low priority
    - freearc and freearc'next already select compression algo by extension according to arc.groups specification. just look into the docs
    - freearc also looks into file contents to detect whether file/extension is text or binary. it will be implemented in freearc'next, priority depends on user demand

- Integration with other extensions or extension capabilities
    what you mean?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Hi Bulat, you can keep entered on the command line "-hp -p" without creating the archive with the password ??? thankss.
    Hey Bulat you can have it an answer... yes or no, or is there something you do not understand.

Thanks
    yes, i can't understand your question

Thanks
    The possibility of holding the inserted "-hp -p" option without creating an archive with password...

Example..

(Arc a -ma9 -ds -lc1024 -ld1024 -ep1 -di -i2 -ed -r -hp -p"MyPassword") OK here we create an archive with password, to open it we insert the word "MyPassword".

(Arc a -ma9 -ds -lc1024 -ld1024 -ep1 -di -i2 -ed -r -hp -p"") Or (Arc a -ma9 -ds -lc1024 -ld1024 -ep1 -di -i2 -ed -r -hp -p)

Here I would like to create a free archive without entering the password, but leaving the "-hp -p" option on the command line, in a few words to create a normal archive without password, the option "-hp -p" from command line it must be removed necessarily ?

Thanks
    hmmm, if you don't need encryption, you shouldn't use -p/-hp options. it's obvious

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulat Ziganshin For This Useful Post:

Samantha (14th January 2017)

Thanks
    I thought that you could disable leaving entered on the command line, type ..."-hp -p$" o "-hp -p*" o "-hp -p\;" o "-hp -p"empty" thank anyway.