Thread: PIMPLE with unique ROM (NES/SEGA/SNES games) compression

Thanks
    Currently I'm developing a brand new filter for ROM files (NES/SEGA/SNES games). I'm not sure about list of supported ROMs - it depends on my tests but I think at least one of these must be supported:

NES - Nintendo
    BIN - SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive II
    SMC - Super Nintendo
    Z64 - Nintendo 64

This filter will be some kind of Disassembler oriented on compression. Also here you can post your suggestions about supported ROMs, ideas, etc.

I think this feature can make PIMPLE really popular and EMU-gamer's #1 choice. Also note, even without this filter PIMPLE achieves superior compression on ROM files...

I think this feature can make PIMPLE really popular and EMU-gamer's #1 choice. Also note, even without this filter PIMPLE achieves superior compression on ROM files...

I think you are correct in assuming this.

Thanks
    Yes, now the only way to improve PIMPLE's compression is adding special filters. It's sad since my goal is developing a data compression algorithms and in this case all work is done. That's why all my eyes always on algorithm development, compression and all user-friendly stuff doesn't matter. So, again, I have a few ideas about compression algorithms - as the example create new open-source file compressor based on LZW - i.e. something like new version of TC file compressor. But here I'll try to reincarnate this old algorithm with adding arithmetic compression and predictive stuff like in LZW-PM algorithm...

I also would like to see PIMPLE gain popularity through the power of its compression.

Thanks
    At least I think PIMPLE must have image compression. Note a BMP filter already written and tested - it's a filter based on Delta-transform. This filter really works and can gain PIMPLE's image compression in most cases! But one thing - this filter hurts compression on 'rafale.bmp'. That's why I still not add this one. Probably, it is worth to check all BMP files for name/size or even CRC32 to Disable this filter on 'rafale.bmp'. Anyway, I think this trick is some kind of cheating. Another variant is to add a filter based on RGB-transform...

I really hope to see PIMPLE right at the top of the compression charts one day.

as long as it has no sfx i don't think so, people like it easy. that's why nearly all websites have .zip files to download because otherwise people need to download tons of compression programs to extract all files.

can you make something that can extract sprite sheets and tilesets from chrono trigger . smc that is compatible with rpg maker xp?

Thanks
    I can, but currently I'm quite busy with my new archiver. Probably later I'll return to this question...