Thread: lpaq1 is here

Expert
    Thanks
    I wrote a "lite" version of paq8l called lpaq1, 35 times faster but files are 10% bigger (but still #8 on enwik9). It is a file compressor, not an archiver. http://cs.fit.edu/~mmahoney/compression/lpaq1.zip

I wanted something reasonably fast and simple and open source (GPL). It does not have any filters or specialized models (except 1 for text). It mixes only 7 contexts for speed (orders 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, a unigram word context, and a match model). It uses a neural mixer and 2 SSE stages. Source documentation explains how it works.

Thanks
    now, it's something for real use!!! i think that CCM would be a best competitor

Matt, is it possible to divide PAQ/LPAQ work among several CPU cores?

Thanks
    Bump. I think lpaq needs more hype here.

I agree completely with Bulat's post and also would like to see an answer to his question.
    I think Matt needs a medal or something

Expert
    Thanks
    Yeah, CCM is faster but it's not open source. I don't know how it does it. I put some effort into optimizing lpaq1 for speed. I'm not sure what else I could change that wouldn't hurt compression.

In theory a CM compressor could be spread across multiple cores by running the models in separate threads. This would be easier to do in a compressor with lots of models like paq8l. The models would need separate hash tables (currently they are shared in lpaq1) and need to be synchronized for every bit prediction. The steps of combining the prediction, the SSE stages and arithmetic coding are serial and have to be done in one core. So I don't think there would be a big speedup.

The other approach would be to split the input into separately compressed blocks like parallel bzip2. This would hurt compression because you could not use redundancy between blocks.

It will be interesting if someone comes out with a faster version.

Thanks
    Incredible program Matt. I too am curious as to the secret of CCM's speed. According to Christian, a lot of the speed comes from "cache tricks". Let's hope he decides to go open source

It'd be interesting to see the speed difference if you compiled it on an intel compiler.

Here's some comparison between CCM and lpaq on my AMD Athlon 3000+.

ccm c enwik8 enwik8.ccm
    22,318,446 Bytes (148 MB Memory) 1min 39sec

ccmx c enwik8 enwik8.ccm
    21,601,446 Bytes (148 MB Memory) 2min 16sec

ccmx c 7 enwik8 enwik8.ccm
    20,819,656 Bytes 2min 19sec

lpaq 5 enwik8 enwik8.lpaq
    20,389,506 Byes (99 MB Memory) 5min 7sec

lpaq 6 enwik8 enwik8.lpaq
    20,078,550 Bytes (195 MB Memory) 5min 22sec

lpaq 9 enwik8 enwik8.lpaq
    19,755,948 Bytes (1539 MB Memory) 6min 10sec

Tester
    Thanks
    The Return of the
    Matt Mahoney! Fantastic Job !

Thanks
    actually, in my test lpaq shows itself as a close competitor to ppmonstr rather than ccm. just a few numbers:

3.800 kb - ppmd
    3.500 kb - ccm
    3.200 kb - ppmonstr and lpaq

lpaq is also a bit slower than ppmonstr, but it is the only *open-source* program for the moment falling into this speed/compression niche

Matt Mahoney
    yes, we all know that input may be divided into independent blocks

about dividing models between cores - is it possible to run several models simultaneously so that each model converts input stream into streams of bits predicted by this particular model and then one more thread combine their predictions? this should allow asynchronous execution of models

are you know how much time is spent in each part of lpaq?

Thanks
    Thanks Matt!

Expert
    Thanks
    Yes, models can be divided among threads. Most of the time is spent in the higher order models due to cache misses. This problem does not go away using multiple cores. They still are limited by slow memory. You can see the effect by timing with different memory options.

I designed the lpaq1 hash table to minimize cache misses. There are 2 misses per byte per model (5 models if order-1 fits in cache). One trick I used in paq8l but not lpaq1 is when a context is seen for the first time, just to store the next byte and defer the bit history updates until the next occurrence. This saves one cache miss if the context is not seen again.

Some other optimizations: I could probably reduce the number of hash computations. (Note that g++ optimizes a<<b|a>>32-b to a single rotate instruction). Also, c0 and bcount are computed twice (in Predictor and MatchModel). I could fix this by combining the code or using global variables. But global/static variables take longer to compute (longer instruction addresses) e.g. in paq8l mix2() I copied globals into local variables to improve speed. I could also unroll loops in Mixer.

Speed is similar to ppmonstr or durilca, but compression is not quite as good, so I think there is room for improvement.

Thanks
    For kicks I compiled lpaq1 with the intel compiler and saw about an 8% speed increase on average (and my CPU's an AMD). It might be interesting to compare the assembly produced by gcc and icc, and see what causes the speed gain.

Thanks
    That's a very interesting implementation!