Thread: Multi-way QuickSort

Thanks

Multi-way QuickSort

I'm currently developing a Dual-Pivot 5-way QuickSort (to be used in my QSufSort reimplementation).

While sorting it will maintain following structure:

lower than lower pivot | equal to lower pivot | between pivots | unsorted data | between pivots | equal to higher pivot | higher than higher pivot

There are 7 sections, but as you see two sections have same meaning and one section is unsorted data, so those three should be counted as one. Finally, the structure will be:

lower than lower pivot | equal to lower pivot | between pivots | equal to higher pivot | higher than higher pivot

So there are 5 sections actually after finishing partitioning (so it's 5-way partitioning).

In MSufSort sources, more precisely in changelog, I've seen a remark that Michael switched to 7-way QuickSort (AFAIK from 3-way one) and that gave him an immediate 20 % (or so) performance boost. How could he make 7-way in-place QuickSort? Or did he in fact made 5-way one?

Thanks
    3 pivots?

Thanks
    Well, one could extend the idea to use as many pivots as he wants, but the real problem is to actually improve sorting performance. The more pivots you have, the higher is the code complexity and more amount of work is needed to place one value in correct partition. I'm almost certain that adding pivots will degrade performance at some point - ie. there is an optimal number of pivots, yielding best average real performance. So I'm curious if he did use three pivots, how he partition data and if he takes unsorted values from both sides of unsorted section or just from one side (usually beginning). Anyway, I continue experimenting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Piotr Tarsa View Post
    In MSufSort sources, more precisely in changelog, I've seen a remark that Michael switched to 7-way QuickSort (AFAIK from 3-way one) and that gave him an immediate 20 % (or so) performance boost. How could he make 7-way in-place QuickSort? Or did he in fact made 5-way one?
    The quicksort in MSufSort is a 7-way. That is, there are three pivots. After the sort the array looks like as follows (A = pivot 1, B = pivot 2, C = pivot 3):

less than A | equal to A | greater than A, less than B | equal to B | greater than B, less than C | equal to C | greater than C

Consider the traditional three way sort which has three parts: less than pivot | equal to pivot | greater than pivot.
    All I did was to divide the partially sorted 'less than' and 'greater than' into three partitions containing a less than, equal to and greater than parts. The result is seven partitions with three of them equal to one of three pivots and four of them as partially sorted partitions relative to the pivots. This is really no different than a recursive 3-way which would be something like:

void ThreeWayPartition(int * pData, int szData, int & szLessThan, int & szEqualTo, int & szGreaterThan)
    {
    // do traditional three way partition with one pivot. return size of three partitions.
    }

int myData[N];
    int szLessThan, szGreaterThan;
    int szPartition[7];

ThreeWayPartition(myData, N, szLessThan, szPartition[3], szGreaterThan);
    ThreeWayPartition(myData, szLessThan, szPartition[0], szPartition[1], szPartition[2]);
    ThreeWayPartition(myData + szLessThan + szEqualTo, szGreaterThan, szPartition[4], szPartition[5], szPartition[6]);

I believe that the 7 way feature in MSufSort can be compiled in or out with the macro 'USE_SEVEN_WAY_QUICKSORT' if you want to see what the effect on performance is.

Hope this helps.

- Michael

Thanks
    So you're just doing a 3-way Partition, and then doing another 3-way Partitions on first and last partitions. Then why there are any improvements? I think it means the same amount of work. Maybe there's something nontrivial in MSufSort that this method helps, but in general, eg. when sorting array of integers I don't see the reason to improve.

I am now experimenting heavily with dual-pivot QuickSorts. Generally, the results so far tells that there's no substantial improvement (if any) from 5-Way QuickSort over 3-Way QuickSort. But some code is still buggy, so I need to sort out some things before final judgement.

BTW:
    Your site is down. When will it function again?

Thanks
    So you're just doing a 3-way Partition, and then doing another 3-way Partitions on first and last partitions. Then why there are any improvements? I think it means the same amount of work. Maybe there's something nontrivial in MSufSort that this method helps, but in general, eg. when sorting array of integers I don't see the reason to improve.
    Basically, I think it was cache improvements. The machine I did that work on was quite old. Modern machines still show that the feature is an improvement over 3-way but not by much.

quick tests:
    enwik8 3-way:26.237 7-way:25.491
    w3c2 3-way: 22.050 7-way:21.466

Also, this is multikey quicksort. The speed up might not materialize for a simple quicksort. I'm not sure.

BTW:
    Your site is down. When will it function again?
    I switched hosts a short while back and have not had time to post the site contents there. Never enough time.

- Michael

Thanks
    Thanks for tests. It seems that your optimization is not really as good as I thought.

From my tests, 3-way Lomuto partition is the fastest in general when it comes to sort array of ints. But when doing suffix sorting (or rotations sorting as I want) we compare not only indexes but also follow the indexes. 5-way Lomuto partition (I call it that, it's a variation that keeps stucture: lower than pivot1 | equal to pivot1 | between pivots | unsorted data | equal to pivot2 | higher than pivot2) lags only slightly in general (especially on Oracle Solaris Studio compiler suite; GCC has very non-determinant optimizations, sometime adding more computations to algorithm, that are even unrelated, speeds it up, and that's very illogical). But such 5-way partitioning greatly reduces number of memory accesses (at the cost of additional complexity), and that could be a win when it comes to suffix/ rotations sorting. As I'm making my own QSufSort variation, I'll test it up.
    Last edited by Piotr Tarsa; 3rd May 2011 at 02:42.

Thanks
    By the way:
    Dual pivot QuickSort turned out to be faster than old one in Java, when sorting arrays of primitives. In QSufSort things are different as there are arrays of array indexes, so more factors are important for speed, but that dual pivot Java QuickSort looks pretty well optimized.

If anyone is interested, here is the link to discussion:
    http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.com...ibs.devel/2628