Thread: enwik9 benchmark nanozip, bliz, m99, dark

Programmer
    Thanks

enwik9 benchmark nanozip, bliz, m99, dark

I compiled a version of nanozip for large text compression benchmark. It is nanozip 0.02 with 1min of worth hacks/tunings for LTCB. It is at http://nanozip.net/nanozipltcb.zip. It requires 1670mb of free memory. I didn't bother to rip off other nanozip code from the executable, so it is bloated. The real size of the executable would probably be about 60kb.

Here is a quick benchmark with enwik9.

Code:
    program               archive size / c.time
    nanozipltcb            166.251.135 / 140 s
    bliz 0.24b c 262144000 175.404.703 / 375 s
    bliz 0.24b f 262144000 177.936.934 / 317 s
    dark v0.51 p-b250mfi2  178.141.689 / 234 s
    m99 v2.2 -m 250m       178.945.536 / 364 s
    m99 v2.2 -f 250m       186.995.547 / 280 s
    (I didn't test decompression, except for nanozipltcb which I verified.)

I run these under winxp64/2gb and killed all background programs (including explorer.exe) from taskmanager. It showed 1.8gb free memory. I wanted to run dark with 334mb block, but I was unable because all it said was out of memory. m99 and bliz are relatively memory inefficient, requiring 6n blocksize, so I run them with 250mb block as well.

Thanks
    Thanks Sami!

Matt has tested nanozipltcb.

http://www.cs.fit.edu/~mmahoney/comp...text.html#1664

Expert
    Thanks
    Yes, and nanozipltcb knocked cmm4, ccmx, dark, and 7zip/ppmd off the pareto frontier, and also rings for decompression.

I think maybe speed and size could both be improved even further using dictionary preprocessing. I believe it already uses a small dictionary internally.

Compression is also very close to BBB, which uses a single 1GB BWT block but a much slower algorithm to allow blocks that almost fill memory.

Programmer
    Thanks
    There are two factors for the decompression speed. The de/compression stage (after bwt) in nanozip is very fast, almost free. Secondly, the dictionary reduces the size, so there are fewer bytes to unbwt. Large x/wrt like dictionary, heavy filtering would speed up decompression even more and increase compression ratio, but it may hurt compression speed a bit. The compression speed is mostly due to a fast sorting algorithm.

If Matt or someone wants to speed up BBB (I mean something like 2x or more) without losing any compression, something like this will help: http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/tpkarkka...07-revised.pdf (paper forwarded to me by Szymon)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Large x/wrt like dictionary, heavy filtering would speed up decompression even more and increase compression ratio, but it may hurt compression speed a bit.
    And that just the way i like it. Better compression ratio. faster decompression. to hell with compression speed.
    Last edited by SvenBent; 26th July 2008 at 19:47.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    I compiled a version of nanozip for large text compression benchmark. It is nanozip 0.02 with 1min of worth hacks/tunings for LTCB. It is at http://nanozip.net/nanozipltcb.zip. It requires 1670mb of free memory. I didn't bother to rip off other nanozip code from the executable, so it is bloated. The real size of the executable would probably be about 60kb.

Here is a quick benchmark with enwik9.

Code:
    program               archive size / c.time
    nanozipltcb            166.251.135 / 140 s
    bliz 0.24b c 262144000 175.404.703 / 375 s
    bliz 0.24b f 262144000 177.936.934 / 317 s
    dark v0.51 p-b250mfi2  178.141.689 / 234 s
    m99 v2.2 -m 250m       178.945.536 / 364 s
    m99 v2.2 -f 250m       186.995.547 / 280 s
    (I didn't test decompression, except for nanozipltcb which I verified.)

I run these under winxp64/2gb and killed all background programs (including explorer.exe) from taskmanager. It showed 1.8gb free memory. I wanted to run dark with 334mb block, but I was unable because all it said was out of memory. m99 and bliz are relatively memory inefficient, requiring 6n blocksize, so I run them with 250mb block as well.
    What conclusions are you trying to reach by comparing a compressor that is both customized for the specific test set and use more memory than the competition?

Write an app that randomly re-assigns the alphabet in the test file. Use the same amount of memory for each app. Then your results will be respectable. Until then, at least for me, the results are meaningless. Anyone can write filters to achieve better results on a known test set. I'm about as impressed with this as I am with an apps inability to compress pic when every 216th symbol is deleted. (^:

I'm not trying to attack your work. But let's be realistic. You're not comparing apples to apples.

- Michael Maniscalco

Programmer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by michael maniscalco View Post
    What conclusions are you trying to reach
    I'm not trying to attack your work.
    A sharp observant of compression psychology will immidiately notice the apparent similarities between Michael's writing and Christian Martelock's. Notice the question "what conclusions are you trying to reach". For the egoist author knows that his work must outperform something else, therefore he aims at or "tries to reach" certain conclusion before making a test. This is the reversed science, a contrast to making a test and then drawing conclusion, but all this must be too obvious for non-author readers of this forum.

Michael's own work m99 is fairly ok, especially his sort is fairly fast, in my tests, it's often only second to nz sort (even though nz needs less memory). But as nz shows, totally superior methods exist that should inspire further work, not bitter and frustrated forum posts and desperate pleas not to compare compressors or to look at the results (or at least manipulate data until we can arrive the predefined conclusion).

My position is the same as that of Matt Mahoney. That is, is we wish to compress english text, then we choose english text file and then compress it with various compressors and look at the results. I think this position is a conservative one, but readers know it's the most extreme radical doctrine in this forum and supported only by very few authors.