Thread: lzp question

Thanks

lzp question

hi everyone
    I'm new in this area and have been reading some paper but i have some problem that i hope you solve it.
    i 'm reading lzp paper (by Charles Bloom) ...in implementation section of lzp1 and lzp2 it says
    H=((C>>11)^C)&0xFFF
    to calculate hash.
    1.using 3 bytes as context (fixed context for lzp1 as paper said) we have pow(2,24) states but H has only pow(2,12) states
    so we have collision here. is'nt it a problem to have collision?
    2.do we achieve better compression ratio if just define a 16MB( pow(2,24) ) linear array(assume that there is
    no problem in allocating 16 MB of memory.)?
    3.where did this H formula come from? why shift right by 11 and then xor by C (why not shift by 12 for example)?
    thx in advance

(BTW today is my birthday )

Thanks
    Happy Birthday!

People are hashing things with intention to handle collision later or they doesn't care about collisions. Hashing allows to map sparse key space into a denser space, so it's useful tool for gathering high order statistics.

The hash function you posted looks very bad, collision-wise, but it's probably heavily optimized for speed.

Good hashes achieve avalanche effect - changing one bit in input changes many bits in output (on average of course). Hash posted above doesn't have that property.

Sanmayce posted some time ago his own hash benchmark suite, you can explore it: http://encode.ru/threads/1160-Fastes...-hash-function

Thanks
    Happy Birthday!

Thanks
    thx piotr for your reply
    Hash collision are not avoided.this was found to hurt compression by less than 0.05bpb,and greatly improved speed and memory usage.....from original LZP paper by Charles Bloom
    so it reduces the compression ratio but improve speed and memory usage.but the question is how he calculate that 0.05 and isnt that symbol ranking algorithm?

Thanks
    I don't know which variation of LZP it is. There's at least one thing than can go different: match lengths. For example in my TarsaLZP matches have length at most 1, while usually match lengths are unbounded.

How he computed that 0.05 bpb difference? Probably he tested it against a data structure that either doesn't use hashing (or any other technique that could lead to collision) or resolve collisions within his hash table.