Thread: Kardashev scale

Thanks

Kardashev scale

You can measure the level of a civilization by the simplicity of its compression algorithms

Keith

Thanks
    Well, I did suspect that we're regressing recently...

Expert
    Thanks
    Complicated algorithms compress better. A galactic scale molecular computer also helps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    You can measure the level of a civilization by the simplicity of its compression algorithms

Keith
    Well you could measure the level of a civilization by the by the ratio of scientists and engineers to lawyers and activists.
    When a civilizations has a high ratio of scientists and engineers it grows and blossoms. However when its past its peak
    the numbers of lawyers and activists which goes up causes the civilizations to quickly decline and head to the dust bin of history.
    In the US that peak was most likely when we made it to the moon or a few years after that. I worked at a place for many years where the scientists had the run of things and we did a hell of a lot. The interesting thing is that as the great advances are made in science there is a rush to get more high quality engineers. This is what is going on in China right now. They have many smart and good engineers and scientists in large numbers.
    But China will suffer the same fate as the US. In the rush to get more engineers they will lower the quality at some point to increase the number. Those that float to the top will no longer be the best or brightest. But the most politically skilled. In fact many will be become lawyers which will do there part to produce lower quality engineers at this point in a nations history the lawyers and such will increase in numbers and the engineers will start to decrease. This is where the US is now.

I actually cut this down. I think I could write a book on the decline and fall of the US but who cares.

Thanks
    What do you mean by "activists"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Piotr Tarsa View Post
    What do you mean by "activists"?
    I guess people who think they know something and feel the need to force there views on everybody else. For example those that think that CO2 is a danger and we most minimize it at all cost. We are even pumping CO2 gas into the ground. Or when I lived in California which has crazy rules that change every few years. One year you much have paper bags since plastic bad next year its the opposite. Look at the crazy rules for our new light bulbs. The dam things take several minutes to actually put out light at a level I can see when its cold outside. They are expensive and the dam things keep failing I guess they don't know they are suppose to last 5 or 10 times longer than a normal bulb and who complies with how you get rid of the bad ones. Look at the nonsense of global warming. In west texas half our palm trees died due to the record cold. If any thing an ice age is coming yet if you don't spouse what the current activists define as political correct your hated. I suspect this is what it was like in the soviet system when you all had to think the same or were declared mentally defective. Well the US is headed for far worse than what was the worse aspects of the soviet system.

Thanks
    I think it's just normal for left-wing activists - they are inventing newer and newer ways to spend someone's else money and at the same time get a "fair share" of it. That trend is worldwide, but I think that's the Europeans who are most experienced in such things.

We should probably stop discussing politics here - other forum members and encode in particular, won't be happy.

Expert
    Thanks
    Aw, this is an off topic forum. You can discuss whatever you want.

Anyway, Kardashev level 2 is a Dyson sphere around the sun to capture all of its energy. To maximize computing power (which is the whole reason for doing this), you want to build it as big as possible so that the outer surface is as cold as possible. This is because of the thermodynamic limit of kT ln 2 energy cost of writing a bit of memory. Whatever the radius, you need a thickness of 0.77 grams per square meter to balance radiation pressure against gravity for a non-rotating sphere. Using all of the Earth's mass to build it (the sun puts out enough energy to lift the Earth's mass to escape velocity in about a week), the sphere would have a radius of 166 AU. Using Jupiter's mass instead, the radius would be 2961 AU. (See http://bit.ly/JwcB8d ). Temperature decreases with the inverse square root of the radius, which would be about 5.5 K. The best you can do is 3 K, the temperature of the microwave background left over from the big bang.

As for global warming, this would be a problem because for ideal efficiency, the inner surface and everything inside would have to be in thermal equilibrium with the sun's surface at 6000 K. But with this level of technology, I'm sure it won't be a problem to move the Earth, or just its population, outside the sphere and regulate the climate with a small fraction of the collected energy. I'm not sure what the lawyers and activists would say about this. I'm only looking at the science and engineering.