I've discovered repacks a few months ago, and i didn't really give them much importance, as they are always in english and i'm italian. Now, with the wisdom of hindsight, i want to learn how to compress my games in order to backup them, just like those repacks (i'm only talking about compression, not ripping languages/mp etc.)
I've tried every high compression software that i found, UHARC, FreeArc, 7zip, KGB, always at maximum settings, obtaining at max a miserable 98% compression ratio.
When I was browsing into the dark depths of the web, searching for a lighthouse, i shipwrecked in this forum, and i knew that my quest was finally over...or this is what i'd like to say, because, as you might have understood, i'm a noob in this "professional compression" sector.
From this thread (http://encode.ru/threads/1190-Precom...highlight=game) i understood this:
1. combine files together using "arc -m0 -dm0"
2. process archive with precomp
3. process output with srep
4. compress output with "arc -mx" " kindly explained by Bulat Ziganshin
I will put here all the questions that i have in mind, brace yourselves:
- In order to use the first command in cmd what files do i need to have? just arc.exe? (found it in the freearc folder)
- Does the command function on folders?
- I will skip the precomp part because even a total noob like me understands it
- what's the command line for processing files with srep?I found only how to set freearc to use srep in the arc.ini file
- For the last section i will compress everything with ultra settings on freearc
- How THE HELL will i decompress all this s**t with a .bat? Do i have to decompress everything in reverse order?
That's all for now. I know nobody wants to help little noobs that don't understand anything and just want to *click* and have everything done,
for this reason i will try my best to limit my questions and understand your instructions.
Thank you for your attention.