Thread: Your Favorite Compressor

Thanks

Your Favorite Compressor

Greetings Encode.ru Forum! I am writing something related to data compressors. I'm here to survey you guys about your favorite compressor and why.

I've been testing them out lately, so far.. I have tried. KGB Archiver, Nanozip 0.09, FreeArc, WinUha/UHARC, FrontPAQ/PAQ, and WinRK.

So what's your favorite compressor and why? What specific functionality did you like about it? Are you more into Compression Ratio or Compression and Decompression Speed?

From the tests I made, I personally liked Nanozip. For me, it has the Com Ratio vs Com Speed vs Decom Speed balance. UHARC is a great contender for me, it has an excellent CR but is not that efficient with everyday use because of the slow Com Speed and Slow Decom Speed. It would be the same for PAQs and KGB Archiver, they may contend as having the best compression rate, but you really can't find the efficiency for everyday use.

I'm really looking forward to your answers!

-Hero
    \

Thanks
    7zip for everyday use, because it has great speed and ratio, and is much better than rar/zip/bz2/gz. FreeArc for often used backups and Archiving. Paq ( zpaq, paq8qx, fp8 ) when extreme ratio is required.
    If you like nanozip, you'll love FreeArc. It's great for everyday use, if you can allow yourself to use an uncommon format. The Gui, is a bit messy for the moment, but there's always improvements to expect.
    Compression ratio is my preference, as computer speeds improves faster than compression technology.

Expert
    Thanks
    zpaq, of course, because I wrote it

But in practice, I use zip because everyone has it, and it's fast and the compression is good enough. Disk space is cheap.

Nanozip is fast and has good compression, but it is closed source and you never know when the program will be updated and won't read your archives any more. There was an older version that had a timer so even if you kept a copy of it, you had to set back your clock to extract. I mean, it warned you to use for testing only. The current version doesn't have this warning but it is still alpha code.

zpaq is open source, has a documented, precisely defined format, a public domain API, and has good compression. It accepts custom models which sometimes beat PAQ, and also some very fast LZ77 models. I am currently working on a deduplicating, journaling archiver for incremental backups. Journaling means it is append-only and saves both the old and new versions of your files so you don't need to save multiple full backups. When you extract you can roll back the date to retrieve the old versions. zip, 7zip, and freearc also are all free and open source.

I prefer command line interface. An ideal GUI would be where an archive looks like a folder and you can drag files in and out, open them, etc. just like any other folder. You don't need to know the files are compressed. So far nobody has written one of these.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0011110100101001 View Post
    7zip for everyday use, because it has great speed and ratio, and is much better than rar/zip/bz2/gz. FreeArc for often used backups and Archiving. Paq ( zpaq, paq8qx, fp8 ) when extreme ratio is required.
    If you like nanozip, you'll love FreeArc. It's great for everyday use, if you can allow yourself to use an uncommon format. The Gui, is a bit messy for the moment, but there's always improvements to expect.
    Compression ratio is my preference, as computer speeds improves faster than compression technology.
    OH right! Thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot to do a comparison test with FreeArc lol! Doing it right now. BTW about FreeArc, there are certain functions that I don't understand like the Solid Blocks, Please enlighten me

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    zpaq, of course, because I wrote it

But in practice, I use zip because everyone has it, and it's fast and the compression is good enough. Disk space is cheap.

Nanozip is fast and has good compression, but it is closed source and you never know when the program will be updated and won't read your archives any more. There was an older version that had a timer so even if you kept a copy of it, you had to set back your clock to extract. I mean, it warned you to use for testing only. The current version doesn't have this warning but it is still alpha code.

zpaq is open source, has a documented, precisely defined format, a public domain API, and has good compression. It accepts custom models which sometimes beat PAQ, and also some very fast LZ77 models. I am currently working on a deduplicating, journaling archiver for incremental backups. Journaling means it is append-only and saves both the old and new versions of your files so you don't need to save multiple full backups. When you extract you can roll back the date to retrieve the old versions. zip, 7zip, and freearc also are all free and open source.

I prefer command line interface. An ideal GUI would be where an archive looks like a folder and you can drag files in and out, open them, etc. just like any other folder. You don't need to know the files are compressed. So far nobody has written one of these.
    Thanks for the reply good sir. I'll try and add zpaq to my review.

Yeah, I guess one issue with Nanozip is its stability.
    Last edited by HeRo; 22nd September 2012 at 03:32.

Thanks
    WinRAR for everyday use, simple and it just works. Freearc if i'm fiddling around and experimenting.

Thanks
    7zip, and when compressing large sets, like roms, srep64 and then 7zip.

Did fiddle around with FA and others, but I like my archiver stable and with 64 bit support.

Thanks
    Rar.exe for everyday usage, together with totalcommander and a selfwritten wrapper.
    - So I can use archives like folders
    - can use different archive extensions for different compression profiles (wrapper)
    - can use advantage from the strong container format
    - recovery record
    - and can store already compressed data together with compressable data in one go.
    - can easily check file integrity of all my data in one go, because there is no single file on my hdd, that is not in a rar archive

Rar + srep for data deduplication

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HeRo View Post
    Greetings Encode.ru Forum! I am writing something related to data compressors. I'm here to survey you guys about your favorite compressor and why.

I've been testing them out lately, so far.. I have tried. KGB Archiver, Nanozip 0.09, FreeArc, WinUha/UHARC, FrontPAQ/PAQ, and WinRK.

So what's your favorite compressor and why? What specific functionality did you like about it? Are you more into Compression Ratio or Compression and Decompression Speed?

From the tests I made, I personally liked Nanozip. For me, it has the Com Ratio vs Com Speed vs Decom Speed balance. UHARC is a great contender for me, it has an excellent CR but is not that efficient with everyday use because of the slow Com Speed and Slow Decom Speed. It would be the same for PAQs and KGB Archiver, they may contend as having the best compression rate, but you really can't find the efficiency for everyday use.

I'm really looking forward to your answers!

-Hero
    \
    For me there are only 3 main archivers in the world (not compressors, I mean complete "archive suites"):

- FreeArc: beacause it is so damn fast and efficient in -m1 to -m4 modes
    - 7zip: because it is the "heart of FreeArc" and sometimes beats FreeArc in compression ratio (depends on the file set) and it was my favorite before I discovered FreeArc
    - WinRAR: because of its unbeatable extremely reliable file recovery features (recovery volumes in combination with archive splitting!), its compatibility with other archivers and it was my favorite before I discovered 7zip
    Last edited by JangoFatXL; 23rd September 2012 at 16:05.

Tester
    Thanks
    Definitely for me is ZCM ...
    ... joke for now!

I mainly use 7ZIP and NanoZip which is the most powerful x 86 version!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JangoFatXL View Post
    - WinRAR: because of its unbeatable extremely reliable file recovery features
    That don't work.
    Seriously. I've seen failures in the real world and some time ago when I mentioned it, Shelwein asked for a proof. Took me a while to brute-force multiple different failure scenarios. It's described somewhere in here.
    If you want error recovery, use parchive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    That don't work.
    Seriously. I've seen failures in the real world and some time ago when I mentioned it, Shelwein asked for a proof. Took me a while to brute-force multiple different failure scenarios. It's described somewhere in here.
    If you want error recovery, use parchive.
    Seriously?! Hmm, I remember to able restoring a multivoume archive with WinRAR (with some recovery volumes). I know that there is PAR(2) for recovery, but the clue is, that with WinRAR you don't need an external program...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JangoFatXL View Post
    Seriously?! Hmm, I remember to able restoring a multivoume archive with WinRAR (with some recovery volumes). I know that there is PAR(2) for recovery, but the clue is, that with WinRAR you don't need an external program...
    I should have said:
    Sometimes it works and I've seen it working more than once too, but it can't be relied on.
    Search and you'll see the evidence.

I too dislike having to use an external program but that's the most reliable solution...there are other archivers that I haven't seen failing to repair like SQX or FreeArc, but this feature of them is yet to be proved (in case of SQX it won't, with FreeArc - it may) and myself I don't trust they implemented it right.

Thanks
    freearc uses the the same XOR scheme, it's even worse than RAR because it can't find archive headers in a broken archive

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    I should have said:
    Sometimes it works and I've seen it working more than once too, but it can't be relied on.
    Search and you'll see the evidence.

I too dislike having to use an external program but that's the most reliable solution...there are other archivers that I haven't seen failing to repair like SQX or FreeArc, but this feature of them is yet to be proved (in case of SQX it won't, with FreeArc - it may) and myself I don't trust they implemented it right.
    Tested today PAR2 and WinRar. It seems that winrar has an implementation of PAR1 itself (the recovery volumes). But I guess that PAR2 is more reliable than WinRar's recovery records (not the recovery volumes, these work fine), although I was able to recover all test files and missing parts with WinRAR.

Thanks
    Possibly.