Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pngout vs pngwolf-zopfli

Thanks

pngout vs pngwolf-zopfli

just giving some test results on my little comparison between pngout and pngwolf-zopfli

PNGout files was created with trying all filters combinations and block treshold of the following sizes:
    0,64,96,128,192,384,512,768,1024,1536,2048,3072,40 96,8192
    and keeping the smallest file, if it was smaller than source

PNGout /f6 only used the /f6 option but with the same block threshold as above,
    still keeping smallest file if it was smaller than source.
    This was to try using the pngwolf optimal found filters with the compression engine of pngout. For a more direct comparison between pngout and zopfli compression rate

Code:
    KODAK TEST SET (http://r0k.us/graphics/kodak/)
    Original 24 files    - 14,6 MB (15.394.305 bytes)
    PNGout               - 14,0 MB (14.736.829 bytes)
    PNGwolf              - 13,9 MB (14.579.212 bytes)
    PNGwolf > PNGout     - 13,8 MB (14.572.778 bytes)
    PNGwolf > PNGout /f6 - 13,9 MB (14.579.212 bytes)
    PNGout > PNGwolf     - 13,8 MB (14.571.497 bytes)
    pngwolf-zopfli beats out pngout on the general data set.
    pngwolf-zopfli seams faster than the brute force approach of filters and blocks threshold with pngout (not measured. just by feelings. will be measure later)

looking closer into files i found out this
    pngwolf does not remove all auxiliary infomation (like gama) pngout does.

ALL files from PNGwolf >PNGout /f6 are identical to the pngwolf only files (verified with md5 checksum)
    which could leade to the following conclussion
    * PNGwolf as a filter preproccesor for pngout is uselss
    * Zopfli compressions better then pngout compression

howeverwith pngwolf > pngout 3 files was smaller (7,20,24)
    those 3 files was identical to the ones in PNGout only.
    we can hereby conclude
    *pngout will sometimes outpeform pngwolf zopfli
    * optimal filter found with pngwolf is not necessary optimal for the pngout compression engine (maybe never optimal)

the pngout > pngwolf is bigger then pngwolf > pngout
    this is probably because pngwolf creates smalles files than pngout
    but contains aux data
    so pngout never gets to remove aux data on the pngwolf > pngout files
    however on pngout > pngwolf pngout has had it chance to remove aux data before pngwolf made the files to small for pngout to compete
    * so always use pngout before pngwolf if you want the best of those two compressors
    Last edited by SvenBent; 1st April 2013 at 19:03.

Thanks
    just removed aux data manually with tweakpng on the PNGwolf > PNGout files and they are now identical (md5 verified) to the PNGout > PNGwolf
    which leads me to believe that the order of the compressors is only important due to the aux data and not the compression itself

using delfopt remove AUX data ( i didnt know that it would do that)

PNGwolf > deflopt give the same results as PNGout > pngwolf> deflopt Except for the 3 files where pngout gives smaller size
    so deflopt is just a good as pngout to remove aux data ( seems logical but now its tested)
    Last edited by SvenBent; 1st April 2013 at 19:16.

Thanks
    @SventBent: Thanks for your time and analysis.

It reinforces my idea of not using pngout at all, excepted for catching the clipboard.

I'm using a really simple batch file since a few years now to produce screenshots files in order to include them in my Word documents. The steps are :
    1. pngout /s4 /i to transform clipboard into a png file,
    2. If there's a second argument after the first one (destination png file), then use it as a number of colors for color reduction with pngquant,
    3. pngwolf, and today I'm using 'pngwolf-zopfli' with the default iterations number,
    4. deflopt, because it takes no time.

With this process, I get 'near smallest png files' in a 'not so long time' and it helps me to maintain properly sized Word documents.
    Last edited by AiZ; 1st April 2013 at 21:52. Reason: Typo and missing switch

Thanks
    btw im looking for a good image test suits for palette or at least non true-color contents
    but i can find anything.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    more testing
    this time im using 123 gifs that are maps over Wolfenstien 3D (640x480 16 colors palette?
    i turned them into png with pngout /s2 (to not make "original" png source with to high compressions)

For actual pngout testing PNGout was ran trying all filters combination with the minimum paltte size
    then again with all filters and 8bit (256colors) palette size (some files got smaller this way, probably due to pixes being bytewise so they fit the filters)
    then block threshold optimizing. i skipped some of the higher block threshold this time though

this are the bat file used

for %%i in (0,1,2,3,4,5) do pngout %1 /f%%i /d0
    for %%i in (0,1,2,3,4,5) do pngout %1 /f%%i /d8
    for %%i in (0,64,96,128,192,384,512,768,1024,) do pngout %1 /b%%i

Code:
    Original GIF's              - 3,44 MB (3.611.593 bytes)
    Original PNG's              - 1,28 MB (1.346.670 bytes)

PNGwolf                     - 1,26 MB (1.325.083 bytes)
    PNGout                      - 1,25 MB (1.321.801 bytes)

PNGwolf > PNGout            - 1,25 MB (1.321.500 bytes)
    PNGout > PNGwolf            - 1,25 MB (1.321.501 bytes)

PNGwolf >PNGout > DeflOpt   - 1,25 MB (1.320.832 bytes)
    PNGout > PNGwolf > DeflOpt  - 1,25 MB (1.321.029 bytes)
    not all files was rewritten with deflopt

the funny part is ther is only 1 byte diffrent btween doing the one before the other
    but after delf opt stage the difference increases to 198 bytes

i have not done individuel file checking yet but here is something to consider

my batch files for png relies on the fact that pngout make smaller files already during the filter optimizing stage. if not the source png is passed onto the block threshold optimizing stage
    so even if pngout would make a smaller file in a specific filter/block threshold combination it might ever come out if the starting file is to small

e.g.
    source png (unfilterede) is 1000bytes
    png filter3 is 1001bytes
    png filter3 /block tresshold 128 = 989bytes

the last file will never be created..
    Last edited by SvenBent; 3rd April 2013 at 00:30.

Thanks
    looking closer this is what i discover looking at individual files

between "PNGout > PNGwolf" and "PNGwolf > PNGout" there are 9 different files (checked by md5)
    8out of those 9 files all have 8bits/pixel (but only 16bit color pallete) if pngout was ran first
    if PNGwolf was ran first they all had 4bits/pixels
    these are probably files where pngout with 8bits/pixles and specific block treshold would be the smallest but never get to change filter size when pngwolf was ran first

PNGout made 101 (out of 123) files smaller on the filrs already processed by PNGwolf
    PNGwolf made 22 (out of 123) files smaller on the files already processed by PNGout
    the 101 & 22 files are the same just vice versa

i have no idea/conclusion yet but will look deeper into these files later and perhaps make some force 4bits/pixels & 8 bits/pixels set for pngwolf to se if it helps explain the behavior a bit

but for now im off for dinner with the gf.
    Last edited by SvenBent; 3rd April 2013 at 00:32.

Thanks
    If you hunt down my old scripts(at the time they were the best available, had to stop due to hand injuries) it has lots of comments in their with my findings. Palette order matters a lot! converting paletted images to true colour can help a lot in rare circumstances. "A lot" is relative of course i was re-writing them back in 2010/2011 and had worked out a way to multi-thread my tests so they were even faster. I had like 8-16 gigs of trials and tests making my scripts so a nice large dataset.

Thanks
    I only recall this one, and yeah it was good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenBent View Post
    PNGout files was created with trying all filters combinations and block treshold of the following sizes:
    0,64,96,128,192,384,512,768,1024,1536,2048,3072,40 96,8192
    and keeping the smallest file, if it was smaller than source
    You could try to build a new PNG with all these files using Huffmix it may result in a new block combination leading to a smaller file (but huffmix has still some caveats).
    I no longer use the threshold parameter and directly set a block number (-n or /n) range [1-1024], two different thresholds can lead to the same file especially when dealing with small files.
    Files produced by Zopfli and PNGOUT benefit from DeflOpt/Defluff.
    Last edited by caveman; 4th April 2013 at 00:44.

Thanks
    btw im looking for a good image test suits for palette or at least non true-color contents
    but i can find anything.
    Have you tried those used by Cedric Louvrier (ScriptPNG) here: palette order tests and from his own corpus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    Have you tried those used by Cedric Louvrier (ScriptPNG) here: palette order tests and from his own corpus.
    I see he updated some images finally, his program was good and fast but only on the 4/5 example images he had on his site at the time, whereas my test set was across a few thousand. His program was also pretty destructive in my books, it would just wipe your original image with no warning at any point, i would hope it's better now. His tool and I think Image Catalyst from some other .ru site caught onto this eventually although they both were like 1-2 years behind mine wrt organising the palette.

I found no "best" way of organising a palette using traditional sorting methods, it was always on a per image basis, i even had some test images with like 3/4 colours which like to be converted to true colour.
    I think i was using http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/Analyzer/ when experimenting with palette sort order, but really wanted to write my own tool which would do this for me and was convinced there was some magic trick(math!) to always give the most optimal sort order but never got around to it. In general you could get just as much luck/gain from randomising the palette order from what i remember, PNGOUT /r can do this if i recall right.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrinsic View Post
    only on the 4/5 example images he had on his site
    My script was not only built from my corpus; i've also tested thousands of files from websites, icons packs, etc.

His program was also pretty destructive in my books
    That's why it's reported as "Lossy" when you choose one of those options.

they both were like 1-2 years behind mine wrt organising the palette.
    My script exists since 2005. At start, it used at least three way to sort palette entries: PNGOptimizer, pngrewrite and PNGOUT ways. I also include OptiPNG shortly later, that can also use palette rewriting. It's a common reduction, not a big discovery

it has lots of comments in their with my findings (...) PNGOUT /r can do this if i recall right
    Actually, 4 PNGOUT options can affect the palette order: -c3 that rewrite it, -kp that keep it intact, -ks that can change some entries (specially with tRNS, when "mixed filtering" is used) and -b, yes, as you said in comments. The "-r" option does not affect the ordering. It's a part of "Kflate" compression algorithm (KZIP, PNGOUT).

My corpus inspired x128 to update its tool (TruePNG, that i strongly recommand, and not only for this reduction), and even more recently with its -a1 option; this can try to choose the optimal RGB value to an entry which is transparent with its trials. Current combinations of my script can try more than 10 differents way to sort the palette, without probably finding the "best" way...

Cheers.
    Last edited by cssignet; 10th April 2013 at 20:08.

Thanks
    ^ ahh yeah x128's stuff was interesting haven't tried it in years though, the -a1 option sounds very nice though! TruePNG did have some bugs with PNGs with transparency which trashed pixels but believe those were fixed.

Thanks
    I'm back on this comparison but due to current results im getting curious about what filters are in the png files. anyone know an easy free utility to see what filters have been used ? windows 7 x64 platform

another weird behavior from pngout
    it seams like there is some unknown/random pallet entry optimizing that not always done the same way

i did my pngout test first

for %%i in (0,1,2,3,4,5) do pngout %1 /f%%i
    for %%i in (0,64,96,128,192,384,512,768,1024,1536,2048,4096,8 192) do pngout %1 /b%%i

which pretty much goes true all filter kombinations keeping the files that is smalles
    and then goes trough all the block thresholded with said filter

then i noticed that with all files i saw. my batch alway took filter 0 and a block tress hold from either 512,768 or 1024
    to verify it i made a new run of this

for %%i in (384,512,768,1024,) do pngout %1 /b%%i /f0

which pretty much just does the filter 0 with the the fewer block threshold
    this should pretty much gives me the same files if my above notice was correct

i got the byte exact same files of those 28 files together
    however most of them was not identical (md5 checksum)
    and at least one is different size its smaller. (which tell us there has to be one that is larger as well)

how come i get a smaller file when doing fewer but same tries as before ?
    i looked closer an saw that the palette entry's crc was different
    so somehow the palette entry was made differently even though i use the same source files and ran the same (but fewer) tries.

i'm i missing something or is the palette entry optimizing including some randomness ?
    Last edited by SvenBent; 9th May 2013 at 21:22.

Thanks
    I'm back on this comparison but due to current results im getting curious about what filters are in the png files. anyone know an easy free utility to see what filters have been used ? windows 7 x64 platform
    pngcheck -vv file.png
    http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/apps/pngcheck.html

or

pngout /l file.png

i did my pngout test first

for %%i in (0,1,2,3,4,5) do pngout %1 /f%%i
    for %%i in (0,64,96,128,192,384,512,768,1024,1536,2048,4096,8 192) do pngout %1 /b%%i

which pretty much goes true all filter kombinations keeping the files that is smalles
    and then goes trough all the block thresholded with said filter
    Nope, why do you expect pngout to keep the filter from the previous pass? If you don't set /f it will guess the one to use by itself (usually f0 for images with a palette) if you want to keep the filters already in the file use /f6 (filter reuse)
    http://www.advsys.net/ken/util/pngout.htm

so somehow the palette entry was made differently even though i use the same source files and ran the same (but fewer) tries.

i'm i missing something or is the palette entry optimizing including some randomness ?
    /f5 could lead to the same result as /f0 (using only filter 0) but (not sure about that) it may also modify palette entries ordering that's why there's another parameter /kp to keep exactly the same palette, also calling /c3 or not will impact the palette.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201012301...p?topic=1940.0
    Last edited by caveman; 10th May 2013 at 02:21.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    pngcheck -vv file.png
    http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/apps/pngcheck.html

or

pngout /l file.png

Nope, why do you expect pngout to keep the filter from the previous pass? If you don't set /f it will guess the one to use by itself (usually f0 for images with a palette) if you want to keep the filters already in the file use /f6 (filter reuse)
    http://www.advsys.net/ken/util/pngout.htm

Thank you for the link i will look at it

regarding pngout somehow know what filters i used the last time on a file
    so if you run pngout /f3 on a file and it get save all next run with no specified filter will be f3
    sames goes for block tress hold.
    i cant find where its documented today thought but i believe it was written in the documentations years ago.
    i will recheck as soon as i get some spare cpu cycles.

right now im running 2x mmorpg games +x264 video + net broswsing on core 1 while png testingt is done on core 0.

oh i found it
    http://advsys.net/ken/util/pngout.htm

/ks Keep the settings (/c, /d, /f, /n) that were originally used to save the input file. This is set by default for files that were previously compressed by PNGOUT, but in either case the settings can be overridden with other command line parameters.

so by default it will keep the same /c /d /f /n (so also /b) if the file have been previously saved by pngout
    Last edited by SvenBent; 10th May 2013 at 08:22.

Thanks
    /ks Keep the settings (/c, /d, /f, /n) that were originally used to save the input file. This is set by default for files that were previously compressed by PNGOUT, but in either case the settings can be overridden with other command line parameters.
    Completely forgot /ks was the default behaviour since post-processing the file with deflopt and huffmix can change the number of blocks I do not rely on it.

For your tests I would rather use:
    for %%i in (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13) do pngout %1 /n%%i

Since it will actually produce more files that are really different (different block thresholds can actually lead to the same number of blocks -you noticed this side effect- directly setting the number of blocks gets around this but does not work well on bigger files unless you try larger values of n, n can range between 1 and 1024).

Eventually keeping all the resulting files (using /force to actually get the computed file even if it's bigger and calling them out-nvalue-of-n.png) to further optimize them with deflopt -b and defluff (this can also be done on pngwolf-zopfli output) and afterwards recombining the blocks with huffmix (mixing biggest number of blocks first: huffmix out-n13.png out-n12.png tempwork.png, huffmix tempwork.png out-n11.png tempwork.png, huffmix tempwork.png out-n10.png tempwork.png... huffmix tempwork.png out-n01.png final.png) this will eventually produce an even smaller file.

I think that the overall result you should get is that bare pngwolf-zopfli beats pngout (by 1 or 2%) unless you resort to heavy scripting (dozens of pngout -r and huffmix runs, eventually trying pngwolf first, different palette sorting... well more or less what ScriptPNG and pngslim have done for years), but I'm still curious to see the results of a large scale (thousands of files) head to head between these two... and then add webp lossless or a more advanced image compressor to the mix.

Thanks
    double posting
    Last edited by SvenBent; 19th May 2013 at 23:09.

Thanks
    been running some more test on the webcomic Lookin for group
    they are gif on the website and then converted to png with paint shop pro 7.04 as source files.

same png batch files as above (best and fast) and i put in a new version that only does filter 0 with the most used block threshold to reduce pngout time to absolute minimum to get some results as the full set of trials. it was to give pngout a kind of best case time wise when comparing against pngwolf.
    384 512 768 was the 3 most used and i added in 1024 just in case, and as the filter trial is always done with the default 256 blocks tressholds the entire F0 run is only 5 tpngout trials (3 optimal +the default 256 and the extra 1024).
    i also in the double encoding tried to run a with the -f6 filter options with the same tress hold as mentioned above

so to recap

PNGout best = 5 runs of filters options 0-5, then running through all the thresholds.
    PNGout fast = 5 runs of filters options 0-5, then ruining through a reduced set of thresholds.
    PNGout /f0 = 1 run of filter /f0, then 4 specific optimal chosen thresholds.
    pngout /f6 = 1 run of filter /f6, then 4 specific optimal chosen thresholds.

Code:
    Album1 32 files    10,8 MB (11.415.637 bytes) 
    PNGwolf            10,3 MB (10.855.255 bytes)  Global Time  =   477.410 = 00:07:57.410 = 100%
    Pngout Best        10,3 MB (10.813.178 bytes)  Global Time  =  3324.194 = 00:55:24.194 = 100%
    PNGout fast        10,3 MB (10.814.909 bytes)  Global Time  =  1249.896 = 00:20:49.896 = 100%  31 files differ from best

PNGwolf > PNGout   10,3 MB (10.813.117 bytes)  Global Time  =  3307.377 = 00:55:07.377 = 100%  All files improved over pngwolf
    PNGout  > PNGwolf  10,3 MB (10.813.178 bytes)  Global Time  =   450.032 = 00:07:30.032 = 100%  No files improved over PNGout

PNGwolf > DeflOpt  10,3 MB (10.852.117 bytes)  32 files rewritten
    PNGout  > DeflOpt  10,3 MB (10.811.387 bytes)  32 files rewritten

Album2 28 files  9,28 MB (9.732.563 bytes)
    PNGwolf          8,82 MB (9.255.398 bytes)  Global Time  =   431.608 = 00:07:11.608 = 100%
    PNGout Best      8,78 MB (9.215.928 bytes)  Global Time  =  3179.893 = 00:52:59.893 = 100%
    PNGout /f0       8,78 MB (9.215.928 bytes)  Global Time  =   552.353 = 00:09:12.353 = 100%

PNGwolf > PNGout /f0  8,78 MB (9.215.919 bytes)  Global Time  =   716.497 = 00:11:56.497 = 100%
    PNGwolf > PNGout /f6  8,79 MB (9.218.784 bytes)  Global Time  =   685.125 = 00:11:25.125 = 100%
    PNGout  > PNGwolf     8,78 MB (9.215.928 bytes)  Global Time  =   409.503 = 00:06:49.503 = 100%  No files changes compared to pngout (md5 verified ok)

PNGwolf > DeflOpt     8,82 MB (9.252.635 bytes)  28/28 files rewritten
    PNGout  > Deflopt     8,78 MB (9.214.357 bytes)  28/28 files rewritten

Album 3 28 files   9,20 MB (9.655.236 bytes)
    PNGwolf            8,76 MB (9.188.725 bytes)  Global Time  =   537.330 = 00:08:57.330 = 100% 
    PNGout             8,73 MB (9.155.424 bytes)  Global Time  =  4530.332 = 01:15:30.332 = 100%
    PNGout f0          8,73 MB (9.155.424 bytes)  Global Time  =   937.020 = 00:15:37.020 = 100%  all files identical to full run (md5 verified)

PNGwolf > PNGout   8,73 MB (9.155.444 bytes)  Global Time  =  3815.613 = 01:03:35.613 = 100% 
    PNGout  > PNGwolf  8,73 MB (9.155.424 bytes)  Global Time  =   467.504 = 00:07:47.504 = 100%  no files improved (md5 identical to first pass) 

PNGwolf > DeflOpt  8,75 MB (9.185.977 bytes)
    PNGout  > DeflOpt  8,72 MB (9.154.049 bytes)

Album4 28 files    8,56 MB (8.978.108 bytes)
    PNGwolf            8,13 MB (8.528.131 bytes)  Global Time  =   424.448 = 00:07:04.448 = 100%
    PNGout             8,10 MB (8.496.164 bytes)  Global Time  =  3450.384 = 00:57:30.384 = 100% 
    PNGout F0          8,10 MB (8.496.164 bytes)  Global Time  =   792.610 = 00:13:12.610 = 100%  all files identical to full pngout (md5 verified)

PNGwolf > PNGout   8,10 MB (8.496.158 bytes)
    PNGout  > PNGwolf  8,10 MB (8.496.164 bytes)  No files improved in second pass (md5 verified)

PNGwolf > DeflOpt  8,12 MB (8.525.440 bytes)  all files rewritten
    PNGout  > DeflOpt  8,10 MB (8.494.869 bytes)  all files rewritten

Album5 28 files    9,06 MB (9.504.134 bytes)

PNGwolf            8,61 MB (9.036.326 bytes)  Global Time  =   472.839 = 00:07:52.839 = 100%
    PNGout             8,58 MB (9.002.837 bytes)  Global Time  =  3423.520 = 00:57:03.520 = 100%
    PNGout F0          8,58 MB (9.002.837 bytes)  Global Time  =  1044.037 = 00:17:24.037 = 100% all files identical to full pngout run (md5 verified)

PNGwolf > PNGout   8,58 MB (9.002.899 bytes)  Global Time  =  3796.019 = 01:03:16.019 = 100%
    PNGout  > PNGwolf  8,58 MB (9.002.837 bytes)  Global Time  =   462.481 = 00:07:42.481 = 100%  No files improved over pngtout (md5 verified)

PNGwolf > DeflOpt  8,61 MB (9.033.552 bytes)  all files rewritten
    Pngout  > DeflOpt  8,58 MB (9.001.571 bytes)  all files rewritten
    it looks like pngwolf just does not like to work with palleted images and pngout does a great job here.
    pngout might not be alot better than pngwolf buts its constantly better on this kind of images (255 colors none dither cartoon images)

i dig'ed into some weird behavior and i found out that pngout seems to choses different pallets depending on thresholded and the coding of a picture.
    rerunning pngout on the same file over and over with the same threshold got the same new palette. hover Channing the threshold gave another palette.
    doing the same input picture but with a different encoding the palette would once again change.
    so to recap both encoding block treshold and how the input pictures is encoded has a affect on how pngout choses the pallet to be used (even thought its the same pictures

also it seams that linear run through different block thresholds makes a u shaped graph of the finish size which opens up the possibility for making a smart choice on block threshold instead of relying on brute force. basically with just 2 different but "close" block thresholds we can know what way to go until the final size increase again and the previous encoding would be optimal.
    this way we can cut out at least half the encoding compare to brute forcing.

well i got tired of doing one album at a time since the results always came out more or less identical so i just got the entire comic series and did em all in one run

Code:
    Full series 664 files 209 MB (219.175.993 bytes)
    PNGwolf               198 MB (208.351.442 bytes)
    PNGout best           198 MB (207.622.449 bytes)
    both results includes DeflOpt optimizing

since pngout did so well constantly, im redoing a test with true color pictures as well as a palette pictures but with dithering

Thanks
    With paletted images, "no filter" is usually the best PNG filter. The trick that PNGwolf has is that it finds a very good filter combination..
    Which is useless for paletted images a big majority of the time. And so unless it's the zopfli edition of pngwolf, there's really not much here that we shouldn't know about. (KFlate is superior to 7-Zip's DEFLATE, yes.)

The truecolor tests oughta be a bit more interesting. :x

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloax View Post
    With paletted images, "no filter" is usually the best PNG filter. The trick that PNGwolf has is that it finds a very good filter combination..
    Which is useless for paletted images a big majority of the time. And so unless it's the zopfli edition of pngwolf, there's really not much here that we shouldn't know about. (KFlate is superior to 7-Zip's DEFLATE, yes.)

The truecolor tests oughta be a bit more interesting. :x
    As noted in title its pngwolf with zopfli which kinda surprises me.
    in my kodak test suits pngwolf won even when i let pngwolf decide the filters and encode the file with pngout /f6 afterwards.
    however in the palette instance it looks like that not only does pngwolf advanced filter finder not help. it seems like kflate is also a better compressor or the pngwolf filter finder actually worsen compression.
    it seams like pngwolf "test" filters with ordinary deflate algoritme to find the optimal but it might not be optimal for the zopfli compression.

anyway her are some results with dithered images from the game Sentimental Shooting

Code:
    23 files       9,87 MB (10.351.895 bytes)

PNGwolf        9,07 MB (9.517.716 bytes)  Global Time  =   792.766 = 00:13:12.766 = 100%
    PNGout         9,09 MB (9.539.500 bytes)  Global Time  =   317.837 = 00:05:17.837 = 100%  
    PNGout best    9,07 MB (9.514.744 bytes)  Global Time  =  7262.782 = 02:01:02.782 = 100%

+Deflopt
    PNGwolf        9,07 MB (9.515.838 bytes)
    PNGout	       9,09 MB (9.536.384 bytes)
    PNGout best    9,07 MB (9.514.019 bytes)

in this test i looked into the actually filters to dig into the behavior

first png from pngwolf had almost only filter 0 "rows" so pretty close to same filters as in the pngout that had only 0 filtered rows
    second png had all 9 filtered rosw in both the output from pngwolf and pngout which indeticates that the kfalte might be more tuned/better for palette based images than zopfli.
    but looking into the palette they did not have identical palette so it might be due to pngout's palette optimizing as well.
    however it something i will look more into later so far i'm just doing a lot if testing to see where the general patterens is and thne try to narrow down where the differences comes from
    Last edited by SvenBent; 20th May 2013 at 05:12.

Thanks
    Gray8bits test suits form here http://www.imagecompre2garbagession.info/test_images/
    all these are originally with mixed filtering and contains garbage data.
    this time im no wiritng preset name like best fast etc etc it will just be pngout the filters used and the bocks tressholds used from the prevous list
    e.g. pngout f0 meant it used f0 filtering with no extra thresholds run. f1-f5 all means it does filters 1 to 5 with all block thresholds from the above list

Code:
    Gray8bit 15files 78,6 MB (82.483.439 bytes)

PNGout           74,8 MB (78.527.014 bytes)  Global Time  =  1535.752 = 00:25:35.752 = 100%
    PNGout F0        78,6 MB (82.432.393 bytes)  Global Time  =   742.144 = 00:12:22.144 = 100% (only one files got optimized the rest was bigger than source, optimized files was bigger than the version above
    PNGout F0-5 all  74,1 MB (77.721.726 bytes)  Global Time  = 23800.402 = 06:36:40.402 = 100%
    PNGWolf          72,1 MB (75.608.560 bytes)  Global Time  =  3159.972 = 00:52:39.972 = 100%
    PNGwolf 50       71,6 MB (75.139.078 bytes)  Global Time  =  5293.083 = 01:28:13.083 = 100%
    ZopFliPNG        73,7 MB (77.380.908 bytes)  Global Time  =  3113.873 = 00:51:53.873 = 100%
    ZopFliPNG -M     71,6 MB (75.147.836 bytes)  Global Time  =  7693.252 = 02:08:13.252 = 100%

DeflOpt'ed
    PNGout           74,8 MB (78.522.625 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten
    PNGout F0        76,2 MB (80.004.468 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten
    PNGout F0-5 all  74,1 MB (77.713.031 bytes)  14/15 files rewritten
    PNGWolf          71,9 MB (75.464.518 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten
    PNGwolf 50       71,6 MB (75.134.738 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten
    ZopFliPNG        73,3 MB (76.914.164 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten
    ZopFliPNG M      71,6 MB (75.122.583 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten
    its clear that pngwolf does the best job here either it does a better compression at the approx same time or it does a faster compression with aprox the same compression gain as zopflipng.
    PNgout seams beating and just can keep up the compression rate.
    PNGwolf + deflopt gets very close to the best compression gains and keeping it decently fast in my opinion

however poking into some files individually lead me to some weird behavioer im looking into at the moments.
    artificial.png was beast with plain filter 4 in the pngout trials
    leaves iso 1600 seams to be best compressed with pngout vs pngwolf

i tried looking into filters and it seams pngwolf many times chosse a wrong filter.
    the simple test with just compression with basic deflate does not reveal the optimal filter with better compressor engines

many times pngwolf will disagree with the png out trials of what filter is best
    and it seams so far that using pngout trials through all basic filter and thne use pngwolf for comrepssion and using the allready found filter, gives smaller files than using pngwolf to decide filters.
    but im doing some reencoding to see if this is best

but sofar here is some pre data

Code:
    PNGout f1-5 all > PNGwolf no filter search   72,0 MB (75.599.041 bytes)  
    PNGwolf > Junk removal      72,1 MB (75.607.720 bytes)

i will recompile all the test ones i'm dong on all the test suits into one post.

sidenote OMG i miss my big computer. this lappy is just to slow with massive testing
    Last edited by SvenBent; 21st May 2013 at 08:55.

Thanks
    the full set of the above testing

Code:
    Gray8bit 15files 78,6 MB (82.483.439 bytes)

PNGout           74,8 MB (78.527.014 bytes)  Global Time  =  1535.752 = 00:25:35.752 = 100%
    PNGout F0        78,6 MB (82.432.393 bytes)  Global Time  =   742.144 = 00:12:22.144 = 100% (only one files got optimized the rest was bigger than source, optimized files was bigger than the version above
    PNGout F1-5 all  74,1 MB (77.721.726 bytes)  Global Time  = 23800.402 = 06:36:40.402 = 100%
    PNGWolf          72,1 MB (75.608.560 bytes)  Global Time  =  3159.972 = 00:52:39.972 = 100%
    PNGwolf 50       71,6 MB (75.139.078 bytes)  Global Time  =  5293.083 = 01:28:13.083 = 100%
    ZopFliPNG        73,7 MB (77.380.908 bytes)  Global Time  =  3113.873 = 00:51:53.873 = 100%
    ZopFliPNG -M     71,6 MB (75.147.836 bytes)  Global Time  =  7693.252 = 02:08:13.252 = 100%

DeflOpt'ed
    PNGout           74,8 MB (78.522.625 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten
    PNGout F0        76,2 MB (80.004.468 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten
    PNGout F0-5 all  74,1 MB (77.713.031 bytes)  14/15 files rewritten
    PNGWolf          71,9 MB (75.464.518 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten
    PNGwolf 50       71,6 MB (75.134.738 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten
    ZopFliPNG        73,3 MB (76.914.164 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten
    ZopFliPNG M      71,6 MB (75.122.583 bytes)  15/15 files rewritten

keeping previous filters (i could not make zopflipng work on pngwolf files so zopfli  end encoding is absent)
    PNGout f1-5 all > PNGwolf   72,0 MB (75.599.041 bytes)  Global Time  =  3101.799 = 00:51:41.799 = 100% (all files improved except one)
    PNGwolf > Junk removal      72,1 MB (75.607.720 bytes)
    PNGwolf > PNGout F6 all     72,0 MB (75.584.132 bytes)  Global Time  = 14497.063 = 04:01:37.063 = 100% (only 2 files optimized in final stage)
    ZopfliPNG > PNGout F6 all   73,6 MB (77.247.859 bytes)  Global Time  = 15590.474 = 04:19:50.474 = 100% (5 images optimized in final stage)
    ZopfliPNG > PNGwolf         71,9 MB (75.437.681 bytes)  Global Time  =  4156.241 = 01:09:16.241 = 100% (all files improved)
    from this we conclude the following
    * using pngout as a filter finder instead of pngwolf results in better filters even though its a reduced set of filters. this undermines using ordinate deflate to measure the effect of the filters in pngwolf. ( this is however disproven further down this test)
    * PNGwolf zopfli comrpession/compression tricks is better than zopfli. using zopfli filters and recompressing with pngwolf gave all improvements on the files.
    * using filters from pngwolf and zopfli png and then encoding with pngout show that pngout did better compression than pngwolf on 2 files. both of which are NOT photographic and the only non photographic in the set.
    however on zopli png 5 files improved again showing that the compression in pngwolf seams stronger than on zopflipng.
    *using zopflipng to find filters and re-encoding with pngwolf gave again slightly better files than pngwolf alone. again showing that tweaks in the filter selector might be needed. however its a bit surprising since zopflipng just as pngwolf use testing with deflate. however i'm not wise enough to dig into the differences, sine i have no programming experience
    Last edited by SvenBent; 22nd May 2013 at 06:12.

Thanks
    lets look more into the filters

Artifical.png
    PNGout F0-5 all 613 KB (628.607 bytes)

PNGwolf 623 KB (638.436 bytes)
    00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000
    00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444414111111111111111
    11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 1111111111111111111111

PNGout F0-f5 all > PNGwolf 613 KB (628.607 bytes)

PNGwolf's conclussion on filters
    none: 780652
    sub: 769789
    up: 805648
    avg: 823529
    paeth: 760958
    deflate scanline: 763117
    distinct bytes: 785125
    distinct bigrams: 762687
    incremental: 757620
    basic heuristic: 767309

pngwolf using ordinare deflate estimates that of the basic filters paeth (76095 would be best and of them all incremental (757620).
    however using pngout to teste the basic filters it shows that filter sub is best
    however due to this picture getting better compressed by kflate than zopfli. this is still the pngout produced file so it does not rally prove anything. i should have forced the output put from pngwolf but didn't.

big_building.png
    PNGout F0-5 all 18,8 MB (19.717.634 bytes)

PNGwolf 18,7 MB (19.639.983 bytes)
    14344444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444344444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444434 4444444444444444444444
    44344444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444443434433344444444443444444334444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444344444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444443444
    43444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4443344443444444443444
    44444444444444334444444434444444444444444444444444 4444444434444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444344 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444334444 4444444444444444433333
    44444444443444444444444333333333333333433333333333 3333333333333343433333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333344444444444444444444433333333333344343333333 3333333333333333333443
    44333333433333333333333344444444444444443343444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4344444444334334444444
    44444444444444444444444433333333444444444334443444 4443333333333343333333
    33333333444444434333333333333333334443444444444444 4444444444444343333333
    33333334344444444444433444434344444444444444443333 3443333343333333333333
    33334444433333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333344
    44444444433333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333444444444444444444444 4333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333433333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333344444444
    44433333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333433333

PNGout F0-F5 all > PNGwolf 18,5 MB (19.440.954 bytes)
    14444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444443444344443444444
    43444444444433444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444

original filter: 21347360
    none: 28868984
    sub: 23277598
    up: 22392646
    avg: 21570212
    paeth: 21426032
    deflate scanline: 21364212
    distinct bytes: 21498072
    distinct bigrams: 21420936
    incremental: 21347360
    basic heuristic: 21425770

again we see that PNGwolf choice of simple filters would be basic heuristic and of all the filters it would be incremental (21347360).
    PNGout testing of filters show that basic heuristic is best.
    Using basic heuristic as sugested by pngout trials rather than by pngwolf, results in saving bytes.

big_tree
    PNGout F0-F5 all 13,9 MB (14.673.115 bytes)

PNGwolf 13,2 MB (13.875.636 bytes)
    14333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333334
    34433343333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333433333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3334333334343333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 4333333333333333334333
    33334333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333433333333333333
    33333333333333333334333333333333333333334343433433 3333333333333333343344
    44444444433333333333333333333333333333334444444444 4444433443333333333333
    33333333343334333333334333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444344 4444444444444333333333
    44444444443333333333333333343434334444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444443444344433444444 4444444444444443433334

PNGout F0-f5 all > PNGwolf 13,2 MB (13.899.983 bytes)
    13333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333

original filter: 15372719
    none: 21708020
    sub: 16613507
    up: 16087832
    avg: 15380584
    paeth: 15625454
    deflate scanline: 15379190
    distinct bytes: 15545737
    distinct bigrams: 15404923
    incremental: 15372719
    basic heuristic: 15436310

PNGwolf concludes that average (15380584) is the best basic filter and that incremental (15372719) is best of them all.
    PNGout trials shows that average is the best filter method
    in this case pngwolf actually found the best filter as using the filter for pngout increased size.

bridge.png
    PNGout F0-F5 6,21 MB (6.518.598 bytes)

PNGwolf 5,82 MB (6.109.727 bytes)
    14444434344443333434344444444443344444444444444344 4434434344444434344344
    44444444433333333433433333433434444344344434444434 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444443444444444444 4444444444444444434444
    44443444444444443444444444444444344444434444444434 4344344444444444443444
    44444444444444444444444444444344444444344444444443 3343344434344343443344
    44343433344333333344333333333333333333333333333334 4334333333333333433433
    43343343343343333343343343343343443333333344444433 3334434444444443443333
    33333333433333343333333333343344344433343333333333 3343433343333333333333
    33333333333333343333333333333344334443444433444444 4344444444344344444344
    33444433433433433433333444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444344444
    44444444444444444433333343433334343444444444443444 3434444433333433434444
    44444333334434334334334334434334334334334344344334 3443343333343343333333
    33333333333334333333333334333334333333333333344334 3334344444443444344333
    33334334434433333334333333333333333333333433333333 3333334433433433433433
    33343333333343444434343444444444444443343443444334 4444444444444434444434
    44444444444344444443444344444443334333344444444444 4444444444433444344444
    44344444444444444444444444444444444444434433434433 4334434334444344334344
    44444333433333433333433433333333333333333333333433 3333333334433334433333
    33433333434444444443433333433333333333333343333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333344444333333343333 3333333333333344333333
    33333333333333444434443333344443434444334333334334 3434443444333333343434
    44444333333334434434444444444444344434434443343343 3433433433444433444444
    44444444443344444444344444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444434444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444443444444
    44444444444444443433334433333444434443444444444444 4444444444444444433444
    44444443444444444443433333343333333343333343344444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444443444444444444444444443444444444444444 3444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444434444434333 3344444334334344444444
    44444433343444444433333344444444444444444444443433 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444443444444443444444444444444 4444444443344444443443
    44344334333334334433333333343333333344343343444444 4333344444444443333334
    43433333333333334333333333333334334344434434344444 4444333333344444444443
    34444333334344444343343343434333333333444433331431 4443333333333333333333
    33343333443334443443433333333343343333333333333333 3333333333333433333333
    34443334444443333333333333333333333333343333333343 3433433333334333333333
    33333333333334334333333344333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333433333444433333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333334443333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333344333344333
    33334334333333333333333333333333333333333444133333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333344333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333331433333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333334
    43433343333333333333333333433443333333333333333333 3443444433333433433433
    34434443333433333333344444444444444443444444444444 4444444444333444444444
    44444444444444444444444344444344444444444444444444 4444444444434444444444
    44444444444444444444444443444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444434 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444434441433333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333

PNGout F0-F5 all > PNGwolf 5,82 MB (6.108.887 bytes)

PNGwolf's filter conclusion
    original filter: 6720572
    none: 8976352
    sub: 7156414
    up: 7124788
    avg: 6764800
    paeth: 6760304
    deflate scanline: 6732000
    distinct bytes: 6750101
    distinct bigrams: 6723810
    incremental: 6720572
    basic heuristic: 6732864

PNGwolf estimates that basic heuristics is the best choice of the basic filters and once again incremental comes out best off all the filters.
    PNGout shows that paeth should be the best filter.
    Using pngout as filter selector, save bytes again.

cathedral.png
    PNGout F0-F5 all 2,94 MB (3.087.708 bytes)

PNGwolf 2,78 MB (2.920.001 bytes)
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333334333
    33333333333333333333433333333333443343333333433333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333334433333333333433333333333333333433333 3333333333333334333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333443333333
    43233333333333333333333334343344344444444444444444 4333343444444444444434
    33444333344334443333433334343444444333343444444444 4334444444444444444334
    44444444443434444433444444444443444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444443434343444443344444 3333443333333333333333
    33343333333344444434444444443444444444444444444224 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444434434443444444444443444444444443344 4333343333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333433333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333343333333333333333333333333333333433 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333433334333444444444
    43444444444444444444444444444444444443444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444344444344 3443443434444444444444
    44444444444444444344444443444444433434343334444434 4444444434343343333344
    43333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333433443433333333333 3333333333333334333333
    33333343333343333333333433333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333443333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333433334333333333
    33333433333333333333333333333333333434343333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33334333333333333333333333333333334434334343333343 4344443344433434434444
    43444444433334333334333343333333333333334333333333 4433444344333333334333
    43433333444344433444333344443443343434333343333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333444343444333433333333333333333333333333334 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333334 3333333433333333333333
    33333333343333333333333333333333344443333344333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333433331343131333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33343333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 333333

PNGout F0-F5 all > PNGwolf 2,76 MB (2.904.125 bytes)
    14334333333433333333333343333333333334343333333343 4333343333433444343333
    33333434333344343434444334444443333333333333333333 3333333333334333333333
    33333333333434333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333433333333443444444
    34444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4433344433334333333444
    44444444444444444444343444444444444444444444444444 4444444344444444444444
    44444444444434443434333334334443433444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444443344444343444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444433333333443333
    33333333333333333333333333333433333334443444443333 3334444334333444444444
    44444433344444443444443444333443444443444444443444 4333444443443444444444
    44443444443434444434333333333344444444444444343444 4444444344444444444444
    33333333333343333334333333333333344444444344344444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444443444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444344 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444443444444443443444444444444444 3443443444444444444443
    44444334444444443343433433444444333444333344444443 3433434333333443333344
    33333433434334333343333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333434334333333333333333333433433433334333 3333333334333334333333
    33333334333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333433
    34433333333333433333333344333333333343344333333343 3433433444334443433443
    43433433444434344333333333433434443434443343444344 4444343333433333434343
    33334433333333443333333333334443434434444444344443 4444444344443444444444
    44444444443334333334434443434344444333444433444344 4443344444333433334343
    44443344444444433344443444444443333434344444444344 3434434333333334333334
    33333333444444444433444333333333333333333343334333 4333333334343443333433
    44444433433334333333433333333333333333333333333344 4443434333443333333333
    34344333344433433343434343333333344444333444443333 3333333333333333333333
    34333343333333433333333444444444444334334333433343 3333444334433333333333
    44333343333333333333333333343333333333333433333343 3333333333333433334333
    34444333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 333333

PNGwolf conclusion on filters
    original filter: 3265573
    none: 4180929
    sub: 3539421
    up: 3380322
    avg: 3276016
    paeth: 3300100
    deflate scanline: 3272566
    distinct bytes: 3279173
    distinct bigrams: 3269868
    incremental: 3265573
    basic heuristic: 3275994

PNGwolf shows that basic heuristic of the basic filters works the best and the incremental works the best of all the filters.
    PNGout trials show that basic heuristic is best as well.
    using basic heuristics as proposed by pngout gives a byte saving again.

deer.png
    PNGout F0-F5 all 6,16 MB (6.465.682 bytes)

PNGwolf 5,90 MB (6.192.075 bytes)
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333331

PNGout F0-F5 all > pngwolf 6,16 MB (6.461.581 bytes)
    22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 2222222222222222222222

original filter: 6803866
    none: 7999546
    sub: 7060437
    up: 7026804
    avg: 6804800
    paeth: 7039457
    deflate scanline: 6803998
    distinct bytes: 6850283
    distinct bigrams: 6803888
    incremental: 6803866
    basic heuristic: 6803888

PNGwolf show that of the basic filter method basic heuristic works best. off them all incremental works the best.
    pngout trials show that UP filter worsk the best.
    in this case pngwolf select works the best and give a huge compression gain.

fireworks.png
    PNGout F0-F5 all 1,56 MB (1.644.984 bytes)

PNGwolf 1,56 MB (1.639.101 bytes)
    00000000000000000000000000333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333343333333333334434333333333333333333333 3333433433333333333333
    33333333333333334333333333333443333333333333333333 3333333334334333333343
    33333443333333344333433333333333343333333333333444 4443334444444433333344
    33333333333343333333333333333334333333333333334333 4334444343333343334333
    33333333333333333333333333333433333333333333433333 3333334333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333334433443333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333343333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3343333333333333333333
    43334344434333333444444444444333333443444344444444 4444434344444344344444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444434444443 4334444443433444444444
    44444444444444444444444443433434444433344444334444 4444443444444444434444
    33333333444443333333333333333343333333333333333333 3333433333444333333333
    33334334433333433333333333333333333433333333333343 3333333333333333333334
    33334333333333333333333333333333333343333333333333 3333333333334433333333
    33333333334333333333333333333343444444444443333333 3334333344444333333334
    33333433434443344334444444444444444444344333433131 1114111444114441141111
    11111111111111111111111333333311111333333111311111 1133133333333300000000
    00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000020000000
    00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000333333333
    33333333333333333333333113333333333311111111333111 3131333133333333333313
    11113131300333333333333331333133333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333133333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333330000000

PNGout F0-F5 all > PNGwolf 1,54 MB (1.619.282 bytes)
    00000000000000300000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000
    00000000000000000000000000000000303000033333303333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3443333433444334444444
    33444444444443444444444444444444444444444444333444 4444444444444444444434
    43343444434444444444444443444444444444344443333333 3334444444444444444444
    44443434444444444444444444444444444444443444344444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444333444444444444444443344444443343 4443434434444443343434
    33434444444444444444444444343434444444444434444433 3443334333444333444444
    44444444444444443444434444444444444443444344444444 4344444444443444444444
    44434444444444344444334334444444444444444444444444 4434444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444344444444443444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444344444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444344444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4414444444444444441111
    11111111111111111111411143413111111111413431333113 3333133331333331333131
    33333333333333103100000210030000000030000003303300 3300030003300323300330
    33300033333330333333333003330330300333134333033333 3333333333333131333333
    33333333333333033333333311333333333313313333333331 1333311111411114111333
    33133133333311313431111143433333333331311111333111 3333433133333333331333
    33333133333333333333333311333333333333333313333333 3333333333333333343333
    33433333433331333331113333333333333333333133333331 3111113333333143131333
    33313333333334334333333333331413334114443331133333 3333433333333333333000

original filter: 1889172
    none: 2189343
    sub: 2027535
    up: 2025738
    avg: 1903595
    paeth: 1957331
    deflate scanline: 1892164
    distinct bytes: 1909888
    distinct bigrams: 1904132
    incremental: 1889172
    basic heuristic: 1912125

PNGwolf shows basic heuristic as best basic filter finder and incremental as the best of them all
    PNGout tirals show Basic heuristic as best
    using pngouts chossen filter method results in saving bytes again

flower_foveon.png
    PNGout F0-F5 all 0,98 MB (1.035.600 bytes)

PNGwolf 995 KB (1.018.941 bytes)

PNGbest F0-F5 all > PNGwolf 995 KB (1.018.941 bytes)

original filter: 1171801
    none: 1610451
    sub: 1276683
    up: 1246324
    avg: 1172863
    paeth: 1228850
    deflate scanline: 1172147
    distinct bytes: 1213813
    distinct bigrams: 1203397
    incremental: 1171801
    basic heuristic: 1184642

PNGwolf determines most efficient basic filter method is average. and of all the filters its incremental that show an almost average filter as well
    PNGout show an average filter as well but just like the incremental first line is just sub filtered. however this file was generated with /f3 (double checked)
    these files are identical md5 verified

Thanks
    hdr.png
    PNGoutBest 1,97 MB (2.068.224 bytes)

PNGwolf 1,93 MB (2.026.269 bytes)
    11111111111111111111111111111111111111131111111111 1111111111111111111111
    11111111111111111111111111113333333333333333333311 1111111111111111111111
    11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 1111111111111111111333
    33333333333333311111311111111111111113111111111111 1111111111111111111111
    31133133333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333334444444444444444
    44333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3343333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333444444444444 4433333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333334433333333333333333333 3343333333333333333333
    33333333333333333444333344444444444444444444444444 4444434333333444433444
    44444444444444444433333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333334333333
    33333333333333333433444444444434444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444443 4444444444444444444444
    44444443334443444434333333333333444444434433333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333443333334333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333

PNGout F0-F5 all > PNGwolf 1,94 MB (2.039.093 bytes)

original filter: 2304970
    none: 3127515
    sub: 2460240
    up: 2439979
    avg: 2314972
    paeth: 2367189
    deflate scanline: 2310142
    distinct bytes: 2360027
    distinct bigrams: 2344285
    incremental: 2304970
    basic heuristic: 2348573

PNGwolf shows that average is best basic filter, and best filter of them all should be incremental.
    PNGout shows that average is right .
    in this case pngwolf is right as using average filtering results in bigger files

leaves_iso_200.png
    PNGout F0-F5 all 3,19 MB (3.351.048 bytes)

PNGwolf 3,19 MB (3.347.526 bytes)
    14343444444333333334333444443433333333333333333333 3333433333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333334333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333433333333333333333333333333333333333343 4333343444344333333333
    34333333343443333333333334443333333343333334333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333343444444443334333334343333334333344433333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333343333333333333333333333333344444444 3333433334333443344433
    33333333444444444433333444444434343333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    34433333333333333333334444333333333333333333333334 4333343344443333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333344334333333 3433343444443333333443
    33333444434444444434434344444444444444444444444444 4444434444444344444444
    44444433433443333333333333333333333333333444433444 4444444433333343334344
    44444444444444444444444433444334444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444334444444444444443444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444443444444444344444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444344333344444444444
    44444444443444444444334444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444433444333333444444444344444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444443444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4343333444444434433344
    33333333333333333343344433433444443334334443444444 4444443444443333333333
    33444433444344344444444444444444444333433333433444 4333433334344443333333
    34444433334343344444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444443443344
    44444443444444443434434334444443333333333343333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333334443444433333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333343333333333333333333333333333334333 333444

PNGout F0-F5 all > PNGwolf 3,14 MB (3.299.607 bytes)
    14444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 444444

original filter: 3566395
    none: 4703844
    sub: 3764172
    up: 3798913
    avg: 3568090
    paeth: 3586166
    deflate scanline: 3575400
    distinct bytes: 3583046
    distinct bigrams: 3572952
    incremental: 3566395
    basic heuristic: 3586163

PNGwolf states that average is best of the basic filters, and incremental is best of them all
    PNGout trials show that paeth is best
    paeth filter ftom pngout gives small gains in compression

leaves_iso_1600.png
    PNGout F0-F5 all 3,48 MB (3.657.245 bytes)

PNGwolf 3,49 MB (3.664.894 bytes)
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333444
    34333344434334343333344443344444444444444444344444 4444444444444444444444
    44444344444444444434434333343334344333333333444444 4444444434443344444343
    33334333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333433334333333
    33333344333333333333343333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333344444444444433
    44344444434433334343333334344433344444333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333344444433433343343333343333343333 3333333334444344344444
    43344433343444444434444444443444444444444434444444 4444444444444443443334
    34344333344333333333334334443344433434443444433434 4443333334333433343433
    34334333343333343433333344443433444444444444444444 4444444444344434443444
    33444344444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444344444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444344444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444443434443444444444344444444444444444444444 4444444444444444443444
    44444444444444444444444444444444333333333443333334 4343443444344444444444
    44443444444444444444344444434434443444444444444444 4444444444444444333433

PNGout F0-F5 all > all 3,48 MB (3.654.471 bytes)
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 444444

original filter: 4242413
    none: 5143443
    sub: 4448908
    up: 4452898
    avg: 4246239
    paeth: 4304930
    deflate scanline: 4245364
    distinct bytes: 4253409
    distinct bigrams: 4243740
    incremental: 4242413
    basic heuristic: 4246100

PNGwolf states that basic heuristic should work best of the basic filter methods. and the incremental should be best of them all
    PNGout trials shows paeth to be best.
    using paeth form pngout trials give a slight compression gain over pngwolf's filter choice

nightshot_iso_100.png
    PNGout F0-F5 All 2,25 MB (2.361.913 bytes)

PNGwolf 2,21 MB (2.320.769 bytes)
    33333333333333333333333333333334333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333433333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333343333333433333333
    33333333333333334333333333333333333334444433333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333434333333333333333334333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333334443333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333433333333333333
    33333333333433333333343333333333333433444444444444 4344443444444333333333
    33334443333333333333333334333433333333333343444444 4444444444443444444444
    44443444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444333444443334333333
    33333333333333344444344344444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444344444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444

PNGout F0-F5 All > pngwolf 2,21 MB (2.318.727 bytes)
    33333333333333333333333334343333343433333333333333 3333333343333334333434
    34333333333333333333333333443333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333343333
    33333333333334333333333333333333333334433333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333334433333333333433333344343444444444444444 4344433344344333433343
    33344443444434434434443444434434434444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    43444444443444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444

original filter: 2666600
    none: 3566769
    sub: 2887190
    up: 2806069
    avg: 2709812
    paeth: 2683160
    deflate scanline: 2669461
    distinct bytes: 2700103
    distinct bigrams: 2693452
    incremental: 2666600
    basic heuristic: 2679886

PNGwolf estimate that basic heuristic is the best of the basic filter methods, and that that incrental or original filter settings works the best of them all
    PNGout trials estimate that basic heuristics is the best
    using pngouts basic heuristic as filter gives small compression gains

nightshot_iso_1600.png
    PNGout F0-F5 all 3,85 MB (4.041.403 bytes)

PNGwolf 3,61 MB (3.790.510 bytes)
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333444
    34333344434334343333344443344444444444444444344444 4444444444444444444444
    44444344444444444434434333343334344333333333444444 4444444434443344444343
    33334333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333433334333333
    33333344333333333333343333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333344444444444433
    44344444434433334343333334344433344444333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333344444433433343343333343333343333 3333333334444344344444
    43344433343444444434444444443444444444444434444444 4444444444444443443334
    34344333344333333333334334443344433434443444433434 4443333334333433343433
    34334333343333343433333344443433444444444444444444 4444444444344434443444
    33444344444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444344444444444
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444344444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444443434443444444444344444444444444444444444 4444444444444444443444
    44444444444444444444444444444444333333333443333334 4343443444344444444444
    44443444444444444444344444434434443444444444444444 4444444444444444333433

PNGout F0-F5 All 3,60 MB (3.783.627 bytes)
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333334
    34333333333343333333333333333334443344443333433333 3333434334433444444444
    44443444434444444344444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444
    44444444444444444444444444443444444444444444444444 4444444444444444434344
    44344444433344333333343333333334334333343433333433 3333334433443344334434
    43333344433333333334444343433343333433333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333444444444444444
    44444444444444344444334444344443444444433333333333 3333333333333334333334
    33333333343333333334333434434434434444334344434444 4444344444444444444444
    44444444434444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444444444

original filter: 4242413
    none: 5143443
    sub: 4448908
    up: 4452898
    avg: 4246239
    paeth: 4304930
    deflate scanline: 4245364
    distinct bytes: 4253409
    distinct bigrams: 4243740
    incremental: 4242413
    basic heuristic: 4246100

PNGwolf estimates that asic heuristic is the best of the basic filter methods, and that original or incremental is the best overall
    PNGout trials shows that basic heuristic was best
    using pngout's heuristic filter with pngwolf compression gave

spider_web.png
    PNGout F0-F5 all 3,02 MB (3.167.904 bytes)

PNGwolf 3,01 MB (3.157.980 bytes)
    43333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333334333
    33333333333333333334333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333333344433
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3433443333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333233 3222333333333333223333
    33333333333333323333333233333333332233333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333322322223333333333333333333333333333 3333333333322333222333
    32333332222222222332222222223222222333322233333333 3333333333333333332332
    33333233323333333233223333333333332222333332333333 3333333323333333333333
    33333333333333333333333332332333333333333333333333 3323333333333333333333
    33333333233333333222333333333332322223333333333333 3333333333333333333333
    33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333334333333

PNGout F0-F5 All > PNGwolf 3,00 MB (3.155.228 bytes)

original filter: 3643580
    none: 5630213
    sub: 4144845
    up: 3738537
    avg: 3645878
    paeth: 3784716
    deflate scanline: 3646514
    distinct bytes: 3773929
    distinct bigrams: 3709218
    incremental: 3643580
    basic heuristic: 3783684

PNGwolf states that average is the best basic filter method and that the best of them all is incremental or the original filter
    PNGout trials shows that average is best.
    using average filter from pngout improves compression slightly

zone_plate.png
    PNGout F0-F5 All 5,05 MB (5.302.061 bytes)

PNGwolf 5,02 MB (5.265.872 bytes)
    00000000000000000000000022222222222222222222222222 2222222222222222222222
    22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 2222222222222222242222
    22222222222222222222222222222222222200000000000000 0000000000000000000000
    00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000

PNGout F0-F5 All > PNGwolf 5,02 MB (5.265.928 bytes)
    00000000000000000000000022222222222222222222222222 2222222222222222222222
    22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 2222222222222222242222
    22222222222222222222222222222222222200000000000000 0000000000000000000000
    00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000

original filter: 5302272
    none: 5567086
    sub: 5798368
    up: 5435830
    avg: 5910897
    paeth: 5610196
    deflate scanline: 5409131
    distinct bytes: 5436047
    distinct bigrams: 5419596
    incremental: 5322491
    basic heuristic: 5302272

both pngwolf and pngout tells that basic heuristicis the bets filter
    the files comes out slightly different thought this is because the garbege dat form the orignal file is still present
    since pngout could not make the file smaller gabarge dta is still present in the file and pngwolf does not remove garbage.
    removing garbage manually on this last file makes them identical (md5 verified)

Thanks
    ignoring artificial and zone_Plate due to the facts that they either already hadoptimal compression or pngout being the best
    this is also those 2 files that got smaller by running pngout AFTER pngwolfl
    and also the two files that are not photographic in nature
    We end with 13 files of photographic grayscale.

Code:
    big_building.png       -199.029
    big_tree                -24.347
    bridge.png                  840
    cathedral.png            15.876
    deer.png               -269.506
    fireworks.png            19.819
    flower_foveon.png             0
    hdr.png                 -12.824
    leaves_iso_200.png       47.919
    leaves_iso_1600.png      10.423
    nightshot_iso_100.png     2.042
    nightshot_iso_1600.png    6.883
    spider_web.png            2.752
    4/13 files pngwolf found the best filter to use (505.706bytes benefit)
    8/13 files pngout trials found the best filter to use (106.554bytes benefit)
    1/13 files was unaffected

what started to apperas ad pngtrials benefit pngwolf compression know shows it does not
    it gaineds 106.554 bytes but losses 505.706 bytes on other files.
    the reasone we it looked to pngout trials as filtering choice was simpyl because artifacts benefited form the pngout compression vs pngwolf compression.

from this teste pngtrilas to find fitler was best in most case but the gains was small. but when pngtrials was bad it lost big time.

Thanks
    PNGout show an average filter as well but just like the incremental first line is just sub filtered. however this file was generated with /f3 (double checked) these files are identical md5 verified
    Looks logical since for the first scanline there's no prior scanline, the specs state: "For filters that refer to the prior scanline, the entire prior scanline and bytes "to the left of" the first pixel in the prior scanline shall be treated as being zeroes for the first scanline of a reduced image." but the zeroes introduced this way may actually hurt compression and you are better off using another filter for the first scanline.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/PNG/#9Filters

Have you noticed that /f5 in PNGOUT is not the basic heuristic as described in the PNG specs "smallest sum of absolute values"?
    Since PNGOUT has its own heuristic if you want it to perform the "real" basic heuristic you could try this "optipng /force /f5" followed by "pngout /f6".
    Last edited by caveman; 23rd May 2013 at 09:51.

Thanks
    Tell me, please, where you can find sources PNGWolf Zopfli?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast