Thread: 60% of disk storage is used for copies

Expert
    Thanks

60% of disk storage is used for copies

According to http://www.storagenewsletter.com/new...y-data-problem

Out of 100 EB of disk storage systems expected to be shipped worldwide in 2013, 61 EB will be used to store copies of data, based on current rates.
    This backup storage will cost $34 billion, or $560 per TB.

In addition, almost all of 90 EB of tape storage will be used to store backups at a cost of $1.9 billion, or $21 per TB.

Thanks
    i'm pretty sure that 100% of my video archive are copies, the same is true for any home user today. anyway, i can type more that a few bytes per second, the rest are either copies or derivatives

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    i'm pretty sure that 100% of my video archive are copies, the same is true for any home user today. anyway, i can type more that a few bytes per second, the rest are either copies or derivatives
    I can type a program that would generate some gigabytes/second.

Thanks
    Of course, we compression nuts know that data repeats itself more often than not, at any scale you care to look at. Like a fractal.

Check out "long memory stochastic process," "long range correlations," "1/f noise"... it's mysterious.

Expert
    Thanks
    Of course, copying isn't waste, like the article seems to imply. Having 2.5 copies of your data (on average) is a good strategy to prevent loss. And the rate is actually much higher if you include data that you can re-create or re-install. I can only type about 1 MB of text per year. Back when computers had floppy disks, I would back up only what I created myself and it would take a year to fill up a disk.

I suppose the trend is going to be toward more replication as storage gets cheaper. It is not unusual for a cluster of a million CPUs to each have a copy of the operating system. Your body has a trillion identical copies of your DNA.

Expert
    Thanks
    Of course, copying isn't waste, like the article seems to imply. Having 2.5 copies of your data (on average) is a good strategy to prevent loss. And the rate is actually much higher if you include data that you can re-create or re-install. I can only type about 1 MB of text per year. Back when computers had floppy disks, I would back up only what I created myself and it would take a year to fill up a disk.

I suppose the trend is going to be toward more replication as storage gets cheaper. It is not unusual for a cluster of a million CPUs to each have a copy of the operating system. Your body has a trillion identical copies of your DNA.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    Creating copies for backup is one thing, but duplicates also exist in storage and computing centers because similar installations exist on multiple instances of virtual or real machines. However, this is a known issue, and most modern storage solutions provide data de-duplication algorithms to address this, i.e. the data is only stored once, but looks like multiple copies to the user. As soon as one copy is modified, the data is replicated again.

Of course, this is not a backup strategy - if you need backups, you need something else. That's typically also part of professional storage solutions.

Expert
    Thanks
    How ironic. 2 copies of my post saying copying is not a waste.
    (I got a server error when I posted and I tried again)

But yes, I agree that copying rate is much higher than 60%. Their results were based on a survey, but most people don't know what is on their computers. At least I don't.

Thanks
    But yes, I agree that copying rate is much higher than 60%. Their results were based on a survey, but most people don't know what is on their computers. At least I don't.
    Yeah... there are probably a lot of unintentional copies that people don't know about.

The problem of too many copies sounds pretty easy to solve, since computers can deduplicate automatically.

I think it's arguing that backup should be handled in a methodical way, rather than through haphazard copies.

If you were making videos or audio recording, you'd probably be generating more data.

Thanks
    60% of disk storage is used for copies
    60% of my disk space are free, because of Bulat 's srep