Thread: CM on GPU - I need ideas for parallelization

Thanks

Lightbulb CM on GPU - I need ideas for parallelization

I want to try creating a CM compressor and decompressor running on GPU's via Nvidia CUDA. Therefore I need some Ideas how I can realize the parallelism required. (Each instruction need to be executed in >1000 Threads in parallel. And no branching, because the instruction scheduler in each package of threads can only exexcute one common Instruction at a time.
    So just using the code we currently have (for example ZPAQ: one block for each of the ~1000 threads) on the GPU doesn't work.
    I can not guarantee to coplete the project, but I will try to.

Thanks
    I have thought about that but I haven't come up with anything reasonable.

However I think that GPGPUs still could be very useful in developing an efficient CM. Very often it is needed to tune constants in algorithm to obtain optimal performance on various kinds of data. Constants could be tuned using eg genetic algorithm or brute force algorithm. Usually, when tuning, the flow remains completely the same - the same branches are taken for each optimization pass. Therefore it should be suitable for running on GPGPUs.

There's an additional catch here though - compression algorithms are bottlenecked to some extent by memory latencies, which aren't exactly better on GPGPUs than the latencies of usual DDR3 system memory (GDDR5 were designed for high bandwidth at the expense of latency - but as GPGPUs are highly parallel, the latencies can be masked by rapidly switching between many sets of threads). To reduce the amount of random memory accesses you could precompute the values that doesn't change when you tune constants. So eg you could serialize the inputs from models and use that when optimizing.

Thanks
    btw, the bsc compressor runs on gpu using cuda, and i've found that it produces erroneous output rather frequently. it's ok for games but not for data compression

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    btw, the bsc compressor runs on gpu using cuda, and i've found that it produces erroneous output rather frequently. it's ok for games but not for data compression
    Some GPUs are overclocked (ok, most GPUs are overclocked) and overclocking reduces stability. With that high performance redundant computations could be possible. Imagine: in the past, you had to wait 10h to compress the photos (raw format, converted to uncompressed DNG to allow a good compression). Now you can use the GPU. You could compress it in only half an hour, but with the risk of data errors. The redundent implementation for your GPU takes 2 hours with the same error risk as your CPU.

Thanks
    yes, my gpu was fab-overcloked. so you take this into consideration, the rest is your work

Thanks
    Whether you get errors or not depends on the class of GPUs. The typical consumer class of GPUs of the GT*** series are optimized for speed at the cost of correctness. In a game a few pixels here and there do not matter.
    On the other hand the Quadro class of GPUs (FireGL for ATI) are designed for correctness as they are targeted at the CAD space. The Tesla and Kepler GPUs from Nvidia take this one step further and those are targeted at data crunching rather than graphics. Correctness is a paramount factor there including ECC GDDR5 RAM. I have been working with three generations of Nvidia GPUs starting with Tesla S2050 to M2090 and now the Kepler K20m. The workloads involve large amount of data crunching both floating point and integer. No stray errors till date.