Thread: Filling a large Zobrist hash table

Thanks

Filling a large Zobrist hash table

Hello all,
    For one program I am developing I need a large Zobrist hashing table (2^20 elements).

The problem I face is all the examples I can find assume smaller tables:
    Chess 13 values * 64 positions = 832 elements.
    Go = 3 values * 361 positions = 1083 elements.

But my program is not a game and needs to use 256 values * 4096 array = 1048576 elements.

The problem in filling the table is that most schemes just pick random values for the elements. Using 32 bit values there is very little chance of bad elements being chosen in the above examples. But I will be generating 2^20 elements and I have my doubts about conflicting values being used.

So far I have two rules to follow when I fill the table.

1) No element in the hash table can have the value of zero.

2) No element value can exist in more than one entry in the hash table.

Can anyone tell me if there is any other rules I need to follow?

Expert
    Thanks
    What application is this for? The only reason for using a Zobrist hash is when you have a lot of similar inputs where you can quickly compute a list of hashes from a list of edits.

All hashes have collisions. You can't do much better than just picking random values for your tables unless your data has some special structure.

Thanks

Data Dep

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    What application is this for? The main reason for using a Zobrist hash is when you have a lot of similar inputs where you can quickly compute a list of hashes from a list of edits.

All hashes have collisions. You can't do much better than just picking random values for your tables unless your data has some special structure.
    I am writing a block-device driver for Haiku-OS that includes data deduplication for each 4K block of data.

For this I want a fast hashing routine with minimal code.

This is a work in progress, so I will consider and test other hashing methods but this looks like a good one to use at present.

Note 1: I have my own reasons for using 32 bit hashes. This is not an enterprise product and does not need 64-256 bit hashes to be useful.

Note 2: If this sound like something I was talking about 2 years ago, you are right. My mother was very sick since January 2012 and passed on in March 2013. I was too busy with taking care of her to work on the code at that time. I am now starting from the beginning again in-order to review all the old work first.

Note 3: Yes, I know some hashing methods read the data 32/64 bits at a time and will hash faster, but since I do not want any machine code I will need to test/time the 'C' versions to see if they are a better choice. But at the moment I want to learn more about Zobrist hashing as it looks very useful for a number of purposes.

Thanks for any help given.

Thanks
    to answer your question one need to know better how you plan to use it. overall, Matt is right - you have small chances of duplicate hashes so you should be ready to deal with it. It's nature of ANY hashing

Thanks
    I am not sure what else you need to know. I thought I made it clear in my last message.

I wrote some software to test results of different ways of filling the table. Just using random numbers is not good enough once you start using large tables.

First there is the chance that more than one element in the table will have the same value, this of-course increases the probability of collisions. Thus the code to fill the table must avoid that condition.

Second, a element with a value of zero does nothing to change the hashing value, so no element can have that value.

Since I last posted, found the values entered into the table by either using just random values or a simple linear filler do not have equal probabilities in the number of bits flipped. So I am rewritting my hash filler code to even out the probabilities.

Okay, maybe I am not being so clear. I think I need to write it up and post my goals a little later.

Thanks
    well, that's our code space and what's the hash size? if code space is larger then you will have some duplicates anyway. by ensuring that there are no zeroes among basis hashes you just move duplicates to another positions. f.e. it will increase probability that hash(bit1+bit2) is zero