Thread: MaximumCompression.com Benchmarks

Thanks

MaximumCompression.com Benchmarks

Quote Originally Posted by maximumcompression.com
    28-September-2008 : Added PAQ8P, 7-Zip 4.60b, FreeARC 0.50a (June 23 200, Tornado 0.4a, M1 0.1a, BZP 0.3, NanoZIP 0.04a, Blizzard 0.24b and WinRAR 3.80b5 (MFC to do for WinRAR and 7-Zip). PAQ8P manages to squeeze out an additional 12 KB from the BMP file, further increasing the gap to the number 2 in the SFC benchmark; newcomer NanoZIP takes 6th place in SFC!. In the MFC benchmark PAQ8 now takes a huge lead over WinRK 3.0.3, but WinRK 3.1.2 is on the todo list to be tested. To be continued...

27-September-2008 : Added CMM4 0.2b, BALZ 1.13, BMA 1.35b, Packet 0.90b, FlashZip 0.91b, BIT 0.3, Tornado 0.4a and M99 2.2.1. CMM4 takes 10th place in the SFC benchmark. More to come soon...
    Link: www.maximumcompression.com

Thanks
    28-September-2008 : Added PAQ8P, 7-Zip 4.60b, FreeARC 0.50a (June 23 200, Tornado 0.4a, M1 0.1a, BZP 0.3, NanoZIP 0.04a, Blizzard 0.24b and WinRAR 3.80b5 (MFC to do for WinRAR and 7-Zip). PAQ8P manages to squeeze out an additional 12 KB from the BMP file, further increasing the gap to the number 2 in the SFC benchmark; newcomer NanoZIP takes 6th place in SFC!
    Thanks for the update !
    It seems that only Nanozip "-cc" (CM) option was tested.
    Could you also include the other options from NZ in the tests ?
    In MOC, NZ -cd/cD appears to be the "most efficient" compressor.
    Further -co/-cO might compress even better than -cc on some files..
    Thanks a lot and keep on the good work !

Thanks
    21-Februari-2009 : Hi all, I'm back There will be a change to the MFC test, as the aging AMD 2800xp had some technical problems, I thought if was about time to upgrade the MFC testing to a new faster PC. I will use my Quadcore Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz for MFC testing from now on. As the timings of the new Q6600 will of course be a lot faster then the 2800xp ones I need to do some conversions. As it will take ages to rerun all MFC tests, I will convert the current times to an approximate new time e.g. (time_new = 3 + (Time_old/3.2) and add a note it's an approximation. Then I will benchmark all current top programs in speed/compression/efficiency on the new PC to get the correct timings. I think this is the way to go.
    BIT Archiver homepage: www.osmanturan.com

Thanks
    28-September-2008 : After some testing the speedup of single threaded programs seems to be around 2.6 for the newer programs, the older programs gain a little less from the move to the Q6600 because at the time they got compiled the compiler didn't know about the nice functions the current processors have. PKzip seems to suffer the most with a speedup of only 1.5(!), and a increased decompression time compared to the xp2800. In case of programs like PKzip I think they are extremely optimised for the processors and disk buffer sizes which where mainstream 10 years ago. Because of this PKzip will hardly take advantage of the new architecture of the current processors but only in the increased clock frequency.

So the formula used for the initial time values is: Time_new = 3 + (Time_old/2.6). One other update is the MFC efficiency rating. This is now based on combined compression + decompression time instead of just compression time.
    Oppss...The date should be 28 February 2009. But, in original source, it's as above
    Last edited by osmanturan; 28th February 2009 at 22:55.

Thanks
    08-March-2009 : Added NanoZIP 0.06a, ZPAQ 0.07, BCM 0.05, BIT 0.7, BALZ 1.15, LZPM 0.16, PPMX 0.05, ARJ 2.85, ARJ32 3.15 and retested some old programs on the Q6600 for MFC benchmarking. ZPAQ is the latest project of Matt Mahoney. The idea is to develop an open standard for highly compressed data, sort of like deflate, but with a flexible paq-like algorithm. Once the standard is finalized, developers can continue to discover new compression algorithms without breaking archive compatibility with existing decompressors.

Thanks
    can someone calculate ratings? it seems that nz ratings are ~2x larger than it should be ))

Thanks
    Werner fixed ratings, now nz takes 4th place. -cd/-cD are still untested

Thanks
    14-March-2009 : Added WinRAR 3.80, ZPAQ 0.09, BWMonstr 0.00, ASH 0.6a and FlashZip 0.93a.

Thanks
    20-March-2009 : Added ZPAQ 1.00, BWMonstr 0.01, FlashZip 0.93b, BCM 0.07 and Ultra 7z Optimizer 0.05.

Thanks
    21-March-2009: Added 7-Zip 4.65, QPress 0.35b and retested more old programs on the Q6600.

Thanks
    28-March-2009 : Added WinZIP 12, PIM 2.90, FlashZip 0.94 and retested more old programs. WinZIP 12.0 now follows the steps of PAQ8 and STUFFIT and includes a lossless JPG (re)compressing algorithm. The compression ratio of WinZIP 12, using 'Optimize for best compression' switch, made a huge jump and is now on par with WinRAR and 7-Zip!
    Funny, even WinZip nowadays has an LZMA implementation included inside.

Expert
    Thanks
    It looks like winzip (like stuffit) doesn't detect the embedded JPEG in ohs.doc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    It looks like winzip (like stuffit) doesn't detect the embedded JPEG in ohs.doc.
    This is expected from WinZip. Because, it's stuck in legacy ZIP format. Okay. There are some improvements. But, they are only kinda patching over ZIP 2.0 format. So, they are still bounded by old things. Anyway, ZIP format doesn't give any support for fragmentation and every file should be compressed with single codec (it can support a codec which has PAQ8 like embedded detection though).

BTW, does anyone know that there is a new format specification by someone about ZIP2 format?

Thanks

Talking

WinRK still not 3.1.2

Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by osmanturan View Post
    This is expected from WinZip. Because, it's stuck in legacy ZIP format. Okay. There are some improvements.
    WavPack compression of WAV is nowhere near compatibility with ZIP format! Maybe they made choice between backwards-compatibility or effective compression instead of up-to-recent "we break compatibility AND we compress weakly".
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Thanks
    Btw, winzip jpeg uses LZMA for metadata.
    So technically it would be able to at least decode a file with a
    single embedded jpeg, where file data are compressed with LZMA,
    and jpeg with jpeg codec.
    Also, it might be even possible with multiple embedded jpegs, in the
    cases where they can be speculatively processed as a single image.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelwien View Post
    Btw, winzip jpeg uses LZMA for metadata.
    So technically it would be able to at least decode a file with a
    single embedded jpeg, where file data are compressed with LZMA,
    and jpeg with jpeg codec.
    Also, it might be even possible with multiple embedded jpegs, in the
    cases where they can be speculatively processed as a single image.
    The Problem with stuffit (even v12) and winzip is they have a limited JPEG support. I have plenty of CMYK Jpeg images and none support it except "packJPG" which is great. and the combination of packjpg with "precomp" is much much great. Stuffit alread has jpg,png,gif,jp2,psd,tiff precompressors (for the gif,png,jpeg2000,psd,tiff are based on PWC work refer to http://archives.devshed.com/forums/c...gy-312411.html) and YPC (which i mentioned many times before outforms it but it has not been improved yet as its a 1998 development and it falls into GPL liscence and author is not answering any more and i think there is much to improve). Further to that Stuufit added MP3 which is great but as JPEG-codec does not handle embedded streams in data (like SWF,AVI,..).

Precomp now can decode "base-64" which is found in "eml, mht" files and stuffit & winzip does not..

I think Precomp is evolving very well but it needs more codecs to support (tiff, psd, jp2, MP3,..) then sources need to be issued to public..

Thanks
    I think MC.com lost its authority after such long break in updating... at least for me, completely... Even just text-based LTCB is more valuable! SqueezeChart is OK, however, as far as it became online - it may have live updating - compressor tested, the results are going online immediately. Not just as with PDF version... SqueezeChart should not be an online PDF...

Thanks
    30-March-2009 : Added WinRK 3.1.2 and Slug X. WinRK 3.1.2 has a new Audio codec and better SMP handling, it takes 2nd place in both the MFC and SFC benchmark behind PAQ8P. Unfortunately WinRK uses more memory then specified (caused by multi-threading?), when compressing in High and Maximum mode it even uses (much) more memory then the 800MB allowed for the MFC test. I decided to list the results anyway as both WinRK and PAQ8 show the worlds best possible compression. To make it a fair comparison I will rerun PAQ8P in -8 mode. The two mentioned program are so far ahead of the competition that both single and multiple file ranking will not change.

Thanks
    The two mentioned program are so far ahead of the competition that both single and multiple file ranking will not change.
    Mhm...really? With their efficiency measure programs far ahead do change ranking pushing best results towards stronger but slower programs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maadjordan View Post
    The Problem with stuffit (even v12) and winzip is they have a limited JPEG support. I have plenty of CMYK Jpeg images and none support it except "packJPG" which is great.
    Hi, I'm a developer for WinZip. WinZip JPG compression has support for CMYK images as well as 12-bit images. If you tried compressing your CMYK images and did not see much compression, it is likely they were compressed using the default compression method of Legacy which creates Zip 2.0 compatible files and therefore does not have JPG compression available. Try again and choose best method compression so that you enable JPG compression.

Steve

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sjp123 View Post
    Hi, I'm a developer for WinZip. WinZip JPG compression has support for CMYK images as well as 12-bit images. If you tried compressing your CMYK images and did not see much compression, it is likely they were compressed using the default compression method of Legacy which creates Zip 2.0 compatible files and therefore does not have JPG compression available. Try again and choose best method compression so that you enable JPG compression.

Steve
    Sorry. I confirmed winzip v12 is supporting CMYK but still not the embedded.

one question i have now. when you are going to issue the specification of the JPEG-filter ( for me to let 7-zip support decompressing) ?

Thanks
    01-April-2009 : Added Squeez 5.61 and retested more old programs on the Q6600 (inluding PAQ8P, WinACE 2.69).

Thanks
    >I'm a developer for WinZip

afaik jpg is the first compression method developed specifically for WZ. are your team plan to add more methods of your own development?

Thanks
    one question i have now. when you are going to issue the specification of the JPEG-filter
    The JPEG specification is available for download from the WinZip website.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulat Ziganshin View Post
    >afaik jpg is the first compression method developed specifically for WZ. are your team plan to add more methods of your own development?
    We are looking into a few things (suggestions are always welcomed) but nothing I can comment on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sjp123 View Post
    The JPEG specification is available for download from the WinZip website.
    is winzip going to support mjpeg movie files produced by digital camera.?
    i've tested winzip on a sample file:

orig: 10,623,608
    stuffit12: 10,375,468
    winzip12: 10,466,054
    winrar3.80: 10,479,175
    precomp0.38: 7,949,018

i've read the winzip JPEG tech data it only handle images one by one it will not combine data. This combination will result into more effecient compression ratio if used on MJPEG movies as it hold frames with high matching and similarities.

The tested file has 227 frame and with "xjpg" i could extract them completly so its like a zip file with 227 images and an audio stream. First improvement all images has typical image size, DHT and if lets say four images data are combined it will improve compression similar what is called intra-frame.

* another question is MP3 recompression is the future for winzip.. or whats winzip future plans?

Thanks
    18-April-2009 : Added FreeArc 0.50a (April 15 2009), ASH 07, LZTurbo 0.94, LZP2 and M1 0.3b-1.

Thanks
    is winzip going to support mjpeg movie files produced by digital camera.?
    * another question is MP3 recompression is the future for winzip.. or whats winzip future plans?
    These are some great ideas. I can't comment on our future product plans but we are always looking at new compression methods and technologies to see how they might benefit our customers.

Thanks
    01-May-2009 : Added PAQ8px, FreeArc 0.51, Hook 1.4, BMF 2.0 and LZBW1 0.8.

PAQ8px has slightly improved compression ratio compared to PAQ8P, and takes first place in both MFC and SFC benchmark!. This latest PAQ8 is based on PAQ8P and includes changes to the used models (new PBM, 1-bit BMP, nestModel and modified word, WAV and JPG model). It is about 30% slower then it predecessor. FreeArc 0.51 is (still) performance king and takes place 1 through 4 in the efficiency ranking!.