Thread: what would you do if your shiny new pc doesn't support your favourite OS?

Thanks

Question what would you do if your shiny new pc doesn't support your favourite OS?

Hello,
    you all probably have an operating system that you prefer more than other operating systems - for what reason ever. I also have a prefered operating system.

Recently I bought a new computer and figured out later that my prefered operating system is not beeing supported. So I thought, that maybe it's the best to ask what you folks would do, if you where in my situation and bought a new computer and can't use the prefered operating system.

Thanks
    If you acquire a taste for Linux, you can use it on pretty much any hardware or in a VM. I have a Linux VM for development. Otherwise, I use the OS that runs best on the hardware. It's too much hassle to fight the hardware. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Expert
    Thanks
    Trying to run Android on an iPhone?

Thanks
    @Matt Mahoney: no

It's one of Intel's newest Atom Processors (called E3815). It doesn't run on Linux nor on Windows XP. Windows 7 is supported and Windows 8 is only partially supported.

Linux fails because it either crashes while booting or (other distribution) fails to make use of higher screen resolutions than 1024x768 or something like that.

Windows XP crashes while booting because of a memory violation in the BIOS.

MenuetOS outputs also a memory violation error regarding the BIOS while booting, but you can press "ignore" and it boots up but the screen resolution is lower than the native resolution of my flat screen (which looks somewhat awful).

The customer support of Intel confirmed me, that the processor only really runs on Windows 7. :-/

Well thanks for the answers. I think I will just store it somewhere till I find a use for it.
    Last edited by just a worm; 2nd August 2014 at 19:09.

Thanks
    I would make sure it's running my OS before buying it. If it still failed, I would sell it.
    Anyway, it's interesting that you mention it. I was seriously considering getting a N3510 laptop, also a Bay Trail. I will be doubly careful now, either FreeBSD or OpenBSD has to work well.
    Last edited by m^2; 4th August 2014 at 12:47.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by just a worm View Post
    It's one of Intel's newest Atom Processors (called E3815). It doesn't run on Linux nor on Windows XP. Windows 7 is supported and Windows 8 is only partially supported. Linux fails because it either crashes while booting or (other distribution) fails to make use of higher screen resolutions than 1024x768 or something like that.
    Just wait. Latest intel graphics is being worked on, so it will come. You can probably try to install the latest kernel by yourself.

Thanks
    recently I managed to get openSUSE running. It doesn't crash when it boots and it shows the graphical user interface with the native resolution of my flat screen. Finally some progress, even thou Linux isn't my first choice.

I thought maybe this information helps someone. So Linux is actually able to handle the graphics. So the problem was that quite a lot of distributions just don't work as they should but the kernel seems to be fine.

Thanks
    Wow, seems to be a CPU to stay away from. Thankfully, I went with an apu instead of an atom.

But what's wrong with Windows 7? It looks like you rather wanted to run XP on your machine. Did you try using a VM?

Thanks
    Yes, I prefer Windows XP. I haven't used a virtual machine. When I try to boot Windows XP I get a bluescreen saying that there is an error regarding the acpi.sys. It seems to be something in conjunction with a memory access violation. The acpi.sys is responsible for power management and for plug an play. Even if I deactivate nearly everything which the processor has in the BIOS (also the advanced power management features like speed stepping) the blue screen still comes.

I haven't tryed Windows 7 so I can't tell wether it would work. I don't have a license for it and I don't want to buy one:
    - A license costs nearly as much as the computer (mainboard + processor + memory)
    - I think that Windows 7 is a regression compared to Windows XP.

I also looked at processors from AMD before I bought the Atom. I don't like Intels attitude regarding bug fixing (which is: don't fix them, just hand out a "specification update"). But the Atom is more power efficient than the processors from AMD which I looked at and that was the reason why I have chosen the Atom.