Thread: How To Write Unmaintainable Code

Thanks

How To Write Unmaintainable Code

Thanks
    People use to say when I write even for clarity its umnaintainable look at code for arb255.zip My standard bijective 256 symbol arithmetic coder.

Thanks
    Well, there are plenty of variable names which don't contain valid words in your code, eg: a, b, c, f1, f2, f3, etc. That fact alone makes it hard to follow. But, OTOH, it's pretty standard for codes that deal with lots of arithmetics. It's not good, however.

Thanks
    to be honest its far easier for my to follow the code with short letters. I don't trust long names in code. I feel there are trying to mislead with long names. I use to find and fix lots of mistakes in other peoples code that used long names and people could not fix it or find the problem since the long names confused them. I can't remember the name of the editor I used it was an old one not vi. But I would take the code and search and replace all occurrences of the long names with short 1 or 2 letter names so I could get a big picture of what was going on. People were glad it was fixed but then they wanted long names back. I was able to indefinitely delay that they had to do that themselves.

But I do like programs like indent to arrange the code for seeing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biject.bwts View Post
    to be honest its far easier for my to follow the code with short letters. I don't trust long names in code. I feel there are trying to mislead with long names. I use to find and fix lots of mistakes in other peoples code that used long names and people could not fix it or find the problem since the long names confused them. I can't remember the name of the editor I used it was an old one not vi. But I would take the code and search and replace all occurrences of the long names with short 1 or 2 letter names so I could get a big picture of what was going on. People were glad it was fixed but then they wanted long names back. I was able to indefinitely delay that they had to do that themselves.

But I do like programs like indent to arrange the code for seeing.
    When working on a tight, intricate block of code, I find myself deleting comments and shortening names to see the logic flow better. Once you've been working on and staring at something complicated for long enough, you'll have the variables memorized and the value of long names goes away. The priority then is to see what's happening to the variables, not to be reminded of their original purposes.

I think, though, that it may be worth adding back good names and comments after you've finished working on the logic. Just because you've imported the whole thing into your brain doesn't mean that it is self-evident to everybody, and you may be glad someday if you revisit it.