Thread: ASM help?

Thanks

ASM help?

In the old days (80386) i could make small programs (.COM) like "read file, xor buffer with something, write to another file" but today I am totaly lost. I miss DEBUG.
    Can someone correct and make a executable Windows x64 of this code:

mov rax,0
    loop:
    dec rax
    jne loop
    ret

Just a simple loop!

Thanks
    This is what you asked for, but may not be what you want.

Code:
    main()
    {
      asm("movq $0, %rax");
      asm(".loop: subq $1, %rax");
      asm("cmpq $0, %rax");
      asm("jne .loop");
    }
    I used mingw-w64 version 4.9.1 to compile the code. It would take a very long time to complete since rax is 64 bits. Changing the subq $1 to subq $0x10000000 allows the program to run in about 40 seconds on my slower PC.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kennon Conrad; 14th February 2015 at 21:19.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennon Conrad For This Useful Post:

a902cd23 (14th February 2015)

Thanks
    Similar code, but using only the 32 LSBs of RAX via EAX. I realized the cmp was not necessary.

Code:
    main()
    {
      asm("movl $0, %eax");
      asm(".loop: subl $1, %eax");
      asm("jne .loop");
    }
    This one runs in about 2.5 seconds vs. 340 years for the RAX version.
    Last edited by Kennon Conrad; 14th February 2015 at 22:55.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennon Conrad For This Useful Post:

a902cd23 (15th February 2015)

Thanks
    If you are able to speak german then you could check the documentation archive of a german low level programming community. They show how to write an *.exe file (or an executable for linux) with a hex editor. They show it for a "hello world!"-programm but you can replace the instructions with what you need. But they only cover the 32 bit operation mode (protected mode).

ftp://ontheserver.de
    Last edited by just a worm; 5th March 2015 at 10:18.

Thanks
    here is a programm that does the following:
    Code:
    eax =xor eax
    ecx =xor ecx

start:
    eax =- 1
    ecx =- cf

jnz start

return
    It will be bussy for 4 cycles * 2^64 on the most computers

By the way: Compare the sizes of the exe files (1 kilobyte vs 45.4 kilobytes) :-D From this point it's understandable that some people keep the old days in mind.
    Last edited by just a worm; 5th March 2015 at 03:58.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by just a worm View Post
    here is a programm that does the following:
    Code:
    eax =xor eax
    ecx =xor ecx

start:
    eax =- 1
    ecx =- cf

jnz start

return
    It will be bussy for 4 cycles * 2^64 on the most computers

By the way: Compare the sizes of the exe files (1 kilobyte vs 45.4 kilobytes) :-D From this point it's understandable that some people keep the old days in mind.
    Your executable is not a 64-bit executable, which is what the a902cd23 requested. It will be slower since you are using two register and have three instructions in the loop instead of one register and two instructions. I did not strip out debugging information and did put the code in main for convenience, which causes a larger executable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennon Conrad
    Your executable is not a 64-bit executable, which is what the a902cd23 requested.
    Yes. Well, a902cd23 wasn't too precise wether the file should just run in Windows x64 or wether it should be according to the pe32+ file format (that is the 64 bit version of the file format). My version is according to the pe32 file format (that is the normal 32 bit version) but should run in Windows x64 even though only by the compatibility for 32 bit programms.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennon Conrad
    I did not strip out debugging information and did put the code in main for convenience, which causes a larger executable.
    Since the question of the topic starter has basicly beeing answered I hope that noone considers my request to be "topic hi-jacking". Would you mind ... if you know ... to tell a little more about what makes the executable big? I can see that your compiler has inserted a lot of imports even though your code doesn't require any of them. Does a c-compiler automatically add something like a run-time environment? Your code is 7440 bytes long.
    Last edited by just a worm; 5th March 2015 at 10:34.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by just a worm View Post
    Yes. Well, a902cd23 wasn't too precise wether the file should just run in Windows x64 or wether it should be according to the pe32+ file format (that is the 64 bit version of the file format). My version is according to the pe32 file format (that is the normal 32 bit version) but should run in Windows x64 even though only by the compatibility for 32 bit programms.

Since the question of the topic starter has basicly beeing answered I hope that noone considers my request to be "topic hi-jacking". Would you mind ... if you know ... to tell a little more about what makes the executable big? I can see that your compiler has inserted a lot of imports even though your code doesn't require any of them. Does a c-compiler automatically add something like a run-time environment? Your code is 7440 bytes long.
    I assumed he wanted 64-bit code because he had rax in his code, but you are right and were not off-topic.

For this code compiled with gcc, it puts debug code in and also starting code that calls main. If I set flags to take those out and do an exit instead of main, it's 2K but crashes on completion. Usually I am not very concerned about executable size but it is surprising how much bloat gets added by default for a program with three lines of assembly code.