Thread: fastest open source integer compression algorithms

Thanks

fastest open source integer compression algorithms

I am in need of fastest integer (de)compression implementation. Suggest any of that kind with liberal licensing schemes like Apache or BSD. I am looking forward to adopt that into my codes.

Thanks

Thanks

Fast integer compression with brotli

Quote Originally Posted by mitra View Post
    I am in need of fastest integer (de)compression implementation. Suggest any of that kind with liberal licensing schemes like Apache or BSD. I am looking forward to adopt that into my codes.
    If you have relatively dense filling of the range of integers and no correlations, like in storing a bloom filter, just use a binary arithmetic coder for them. If you have something more complex, then you can benefit from a more advanced compressor.

Given that you have monotonically rising unique integers, you should consider codifying their deltas, and possibly store values of delta - X in your stream, where X is the smallest diff between two consequent integers. It is possibly a good idea to transpose the four bytes (or two 16-bit values, eight nibbles, ...) of the deltas, too, before compressing. Transposing the bytes means that you store all most significant bytes first for all values, then next most significant, etc. Transposing is more likely to be helpful when used with a fast decompressor such as deflate or brotli and less helpful or even possibly harmful with more advanced (but slower) statistical modeling.

If you try out brotli, you can get roughly the same decoding speed as you see with deflate, but with a greatly improved compression ratio. When configuring brotli to store such data you may get slightly denser compression ratio using the configuration WOFF 2.0 uses (MODE_FONT in BrotliParams).