Thread: Fundraising BulkZip File Compressor - Help me achieve it :) !

Thanks

Post Fundraising BulkZip File Compressor - Help me achieve it :) !

Hi Encode Forum,

I just set up a Indiegogo Campaign to help raise funds for the extension of my file compressor, "BulkZip".

I'm glad for every support i can get, also reviews/comments/improvement ideas on the tool itself and the fund raising campaign.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/extend-a-file-compression-software/x/6601972#/story

Thanks and Best,
    Phil

Thanks
    To be honest, I do not believe very much in commercial solutions that use open source tools (Arc, zpaq, ...). Even if perfectly legal due to the free for commercial and non commercial usage of FreeArc, and the public domain for zPaq, it is not ethical for me. Sorry to say.

In fact, I myself, have a similar project, FileOptimizer (http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/st...=FileOptimizer) which is taking advantage of several open source and free tools. As the result to that, I decided to make mine, open source, and free too. Of course I am accepting donations, but they are not mandatory.

To me, that is the proper approach.
    Last edited by nikkho; 18th September 2015 at 10:16.

Thanks
    Hi,
    thanks for your reply! Yes, but open source is not a viable option for me. It would take ages, and without any money involved things tend to become a grind without return. Also the ability to get paid engineers and developers on the project is only open via proper funding.

But thanks for your input

Best,
    Phil

Thanks
    >"Building a worthy 7Zip and WinRAR competitor"
    As far as I can tell it's reusing compression algorithms that have been around for maybe 5 years? Nothing new here that hasn't been tested before, I guess you're trying to bring command-line compressors to consumers with a nice interface. But I don't think I can get behind a project like this. I'm pretty sure sami wouldn't be too happy with nz bring reskinned and sold. :/

Thanks
    Its not only about compressors, but the UI, setup, tools and general buildup of the program.

Expert
    Thanks
    Just my opinion, but software isn't something you sell any more in an economy where information has negative value. You sell services, which you implement in software. I really don't see how you can make a living spending years on an app where you might sell 50 copies for $10 to people who don't know there are free alternatives.

A better way to make money is to give away your software to sell yourself. Just my opinion, as someone who has retired without ever charging anything for my software.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mahoney View Post
    Just my opinion, but software isn't something you sell any more in an economy where information has negative value. You sell services, which you implement in software. I really don't see how you can make a living spending years on an app where you might sell 50 copies for $10 to people who don't know there are free alternatives.

A better way to make money is to give away your software to sell yourself. Just my opinion, as someone who has retired without ever charging anything for my software.
    What do you mean with "...where information has a negative value." ; i didnt get that argument.

Expert
    Thanks
    You don't sell information anymore. You buy attention. The obvious example is advertising, but it is true everywhere. For example, scientists have to pay journals to publish their papers open access (like $3000). Musicians who want to be successful have to publish their music on Youtube for free. It is like that with software too. I never buy software because everything I need is free. If you want to be a successful software developer, you have to make a name for yourself just like a scientist or musician.

Thanks
    I agree with Matt Mahoney, if you plan to create software for living, this software needs to be unique. But you are gathering other tools, and encapsulating it over an UI, so you are only creating an UI, where there are lots of competition, even free, and open source. Take into consideration FreeArc, PeaZip and so on.

Of course, creating software nowadays is a big task, and that is what is to be paid.

Creating only UI does not require a big staff of engineers. As said before, take a look at FileOptimizer, a project I created for free on my spare time, with no external resources.

Thanks
    What happened with Sami as you mentioned this?

Thanks
    I might not quite understand this. But why do you need money to create this project. ? as far as i see there is no real physical cost of it so what does the money actually cover ? You Don't consume anything beside you time and maybe some electricity when you program.
    All of the parts you are using have been made by people never needed outside money (Afaik) to developt their programs. Why does yours ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenBent View Post
    I might not quite understand this. But why do you need money to create this project. ? as far as i see there is no real physical cost of it so what does the money actually cover ? You Don't consume anything beside you time and maybe some electricity when you program.
    According to a previous post, he should cover salaries for the engineers. Not a good ones to be honest, since they reuse code from others, and the own part is coded in .NET. They should be cheap

Thanks
    I've found a bug

"BulkZip allows you to create compresssed archives that can be smaller in size than with comparable technology."

Thanks
    yeah nothing new that people complain and insult around, but honestly does anyone know what happened with Sami from NanoZip as this was mentioned earlier?

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wyk1ng View Post
    yeah nothing new that people complain and insult around, but honestly does anyone know what happened with Sami from NanoZip as this was mentioned earlier?
    Where do you see insults?
    As i see it : You bring open a request for money, to make a product based on other peoples work, On a forum where those people reside and give away same kind of service for absolutely free ? Did yo expect they would just hand you over money without asking into stuff ?
    Questioning what you are doing and how you are going to use peoples money, that you are asking for, is not insults. Do you yourself have the having of just handing over money when asked for, without any critical thinking ?

Now playing the victim card in this case seem shady to me. It seems like you just want people to feel bad that they are digging into your request.

You goal is not bad. I just personally have a hard time seeing what you need the money for with this small size of a project ( compared to full flunge OS'es etc)
    Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly, but so far you have done nothing to address that at all... instead you play the victim card.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenBent View Post
    Where do you see insults?
    As i see it : You bring open a request for money, to make a product based on other peoples work, On a forum where those people reside and give away same kind of service for absolutely free ? Did yo expect they would just hand you over money without asking into stuff ?
    Questioning what you are doing and how you are going to use peoples money, that you are asking for, is not insults. Do you yourself have the having of just handing over money when asked for, without any critical thinking ?

Now playing the victim card in this case seem shady to me. It seems like you just want people to feel bad that they are digging into your request.

You goal is not bad. I just personally have a hard time seeing what you need the money for with this small size of a project ( compared to full flunge OS'es etc)
    Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly, but so far you have done nothing to address that at all... instead you play the victim card.
    im not playing any victim card here i was just intrested about SAMI as someone brought this up and its hard to contact him. i wrote around 20 emails but his public available contact addresses as well as the one on the forum seem to be a dead end.

I can also clarify that it's infact not easy to "just code this" and "put some pieces together". If been on this for 2 years now and the technical challenges are enormous.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wyk1ng View Post
    I can also clarify that it's infact not easy to "just code this" and "put some pieces together". If been on this for 2 years now and the technical challenges are enormous.
    I should disagree on this. FileOptimizer has been there for almost 4 years, and is not asking for fundraising. It is of course facing technical challenges, but no more than 7-Zip from Igor, being used in Bulkzip, and not asking for fundraising neither.

Anyone is free to ask for what they want to ask, the same as anyone is free to give their opinions about that asks.