Thread: Binary interleave for known-similar files greater than sliding window size?

Thanks

Question Binary interleave for known-similar files greater than sliding window size?

Hi!

I have some several files that are quite similar with some minor differences in places.

I want to compress them all together, but, the size of each individual file is greater than i can make 7zip/gzip's sliding window.

So i thought, what if the binary files were interleaved (1MB of A, 1MB of B, ...) so that the sliding window can better find similar chunks.

I began to write an interleave tool but for the sake of future decompression it would be best if there was a pre-existing format that handled this. The interleave would be handled in isolation (zero compression) and then compressed separately by a later tool.

Is it possible to implement this kind of split-file binary interleave in e.g. the RAR, ACE, tar, or 7Zip bytestream formats?

Does anyone have any suggestions about packing multiple large similar files together?

Thanks
    you need deduplication, f.e. zpaq

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulat Ziganshin For This Useful Post:

mappu (19th September 2015)

Thanks
    I tried an experiment with only three of my target files:

A.zip 258MB
    B.zip 258MB
    C.zip 258MB

7z_ultra(precomp(A.zip) + precomp(B.zip) + precomp(C.zip)) = 572MB

7z_ultra(precomp(A.zip) + xdelta(precomp(A.zip), precomp(B.zip)) + xdelta(precomp(B.zip), precomp(C.zip))) = 223MB

srep_best(tar(precomp(A.zip) + precomp(B.zip) + precomp(C.zip))) = 503MB

zpaq(tar(precomp(A.zip) + precomp(B.zip) + precomp(C.zip))) = 339MB

zpaq_method6(tar(precomp(A.zip) + precomp(B.zip) + precomp(C.zip))) = 232MB

The zpaq approach produced the best filesize, but i think 7z+xdelta was faster although I didn't record exact timings.

So, thank you for the suggestion, i will use zpaq for my project.

I'm still interested as to whether or not it's possible for deflate compressors to reach this lower filesize by a kind of interleaving technique. I think it should be possible to reach this lower filesize by using a large enough dictionary, or by massaging the input data so that a large dictionary is not necessary. But even SREP -m3f -a1 was unable to identify the redundancy here.

Thanks
    1. deduplication is pretty like to LZ compression with full-file dictionary but only long matches. f.e. best srep mode should find almost any match longer than 512 bytes (-l option)

2. srep should remove duplicates so srep(precomp(file)*N) == srep(precomp(file)). zpaq performs deduplication+compression, so its result is better. for dedup-only, you can try zpaq method 0 - it should be larger than srep. i suggested zpaq just because it's simpler to use

3. of course you can do interleaving as far as you know how two (or more) files are correspond. dedup engine is something more general - i.e. it finds duplicates even if there are multiple repetitions or data chunks were mixed up

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mappu View Post
    I tried an experiment with only three of my target files:

A.zip 258MB
    B.zip 258MB
    C.zip 258MB

7z_ultra(precomp(A.zip) + precomp(B.zip) + precomp(C.zip)) = 572MB

7z_ultra(precomp(A.zip) + xdelta(precomp(A.zip), precomp(B.zip)) + xdelta(precomp(B.zip), precomp(C.zip))) = 223MB

srep_best(tar(precomp(A.zip) + precomp(B.zip) + precomp(C.zip))) = 503MB

zpaq(tar(precomp(A.zip) + precomp(B.zip) + precomp(C.zip))) = 339MB

zpaq_method6(tar(precomp(A.zip) + precomp(B.zip) + precomp(C.zip))) = 232MB

The zpaq approach produced the best filesize, but i think 7z+xdelta was faster although I didn't record exact timings.
    Didn't 7z+xdelta actually produce the best file size? #2 looks like it's the smallest to me.

So, thank you for the suggestion, i will use zpaq for my project.

I'm still interested as to whether or not it's possible for deflate compressors to reach this lower filesize by a kind of interleaving technique. I think it should be possible to reach this lower filesize by using a large enough dictionary, or by massaging the input data so that a large dictionary is not necessary. But even SREP -m3f -a1 was unable to identify the redundancy here.
    You could interleave different files to help LZ, as long as you did it carefully. I think the right kind of interleaving would depend heavily on the particular dataset, so it would be hard to generalize and make automatic. (I realized that Bulat said essentially the same thing in his #3).

Thanks
    Hi mappu. I have the curiosity to know the steps to compress with 7z xdelta. I know xdelta it's for make patch but i can't understand how this benefits the compression ratio. Can you tell me how to do that.Thank you.

Thanks
    [deleted]
    Last edited by Lucas; 23rd September 2015 at 01:27. Reason: redundant

Thanks
    What about interleaving the files on a byte-by-byte or bit-by-bit basis, if they really are similar?