Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: JPG,GIF,MP3 to BMP, WAV

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    JPG,GIF,MP3 to BMP, WAV

    am i right that converting to these formats means it`s lossless? (from compressed opened jpg to say just saving it with MSpaint into BMP)?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    856
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 104 Times in 82 Posts
    yes but you still inherit the flaws from the previous lossy encoding, so you dont get any quality benefits.
    One small exception would be transparency info in .gif as I don't think bmp supports it.

    What is the purpose of this ?

    example when you do an abx of mp3 vs original the mp3 is very often decompresse back to .wav(PCM) format so you are ABX between two .wav files. this .wave file outputs the exact same data as the .mp3 files ( save for faulty players)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to SvenBent For This Useful Post:

    necros (19th March 2016)

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    ?l?nsk, PL
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenBent View Post
    yes but you still inherit the flaws from the previous lossy encoding, so you dont get any quality benefits.
    One small exception would be transparency info in .gif as I don't think bmp supports it.

    What is the purpose of this ?

    example when you do an abx of mp3 vs original the mp3 is very often decompresse back to .wav(PCM) format so you are ABX between two .wav files. this .wave file outputs the exact same data as the .mp3 files ( save for faulty players)
    Do you know MP3 bitstream enough to tell with full certainity? I ask because I suspect there might be some accuracy loss when convertion frequency-domain floats to time-domain ints. Even though players do the conversion too, there may be information in the file that gets lost in the process and thus conversion would introduce further loss.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    thought maybe it`s a way to convert jpgs to like fliff, webp - with lossless options? not every compressor supports jpgs as input so question arose

  6. #5
    Member Jaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dracula's country
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
    Any decompressed (optimised) JPG will always give a bigger output size when recompressed in any lossless way. Same thing applies to MP3's too.
    What's the benefit in decompressing 1MB JPEG to 25MB and compress it lossless to 20MB?

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaff For This Useful Post:

    necros (19th March 2016)

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Ok i get it, no possible jpgs file size reduction converting losslessly to other formats.

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    856
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 104 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m^3 View Post
    Do you know MP3 bitstream enough to tell with full certainity? I ask because I suspect there might be some accuracy loss when convertion frequency-domain floats to time-domain ints. Even though players do the conversion too, there may be information in the file that gets lost in the process and thus conversion would introduce further loss.
    Ofcause i DO...absolutely not
    Not saying what you are saying a wrong I'm just having a hard time picturing any info beeing there in any audible matter that would be different since we basically have to convert it back to pcm to hear it. off cause there can always be decoder choices and flaws in the decoding step.
    but a lot wiser men than me would know that.

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Minsk
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by necros View Post
    Ok i get it, no possible jpgs file size reduction converting losslessly to other formats.
    Well, some high quality JPEGs of vector images and texts can be losslessly converted to PNG with possible size redictuion.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to nemoW For This Useful Post:

    necros (19th March 2016)

  12. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stuttgart
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 96 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nemoW View Post
    Well, some high quality JPEGs of vector images and texts can be losslessly converted to PNG with possible size redictuion.
    And they can be converted to even smaller JPEGs without loosing visual quality as well... (-;

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •