Thread: Identify compression (pre 1996)

Thanks

Identify compression (pre 1996)

Hi again,

Looking to figure out what compression this file is using. Compressed txt file is 976 bytes, uncompressed should be 1931 bytes.

File is from 1996, so obviously using an older compression algorithm.

File has the number '3' (0x03) associated with it (unsure if this is related to compression).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLOBESCN.TXT.png 
Views:	262 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	4176

If nobody knows the compression, can someone tell me about it? Is it RLE based?

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    This looks like a LZSS variant. The file is divided into blocks, each blocks begins with a byte with 8 flags that signal if there is uncompressed (bit == 1) or compressed (bit == 0) data. The most simple case can be seen in the first 9 bytes:

Code:
    FF 0D 0A 72 61 77 20 54 48
    Here, the "flag bit" is 0xFF = 11111111b, so every of the following 8 bytes is uncompressed and can just be copied in the decompression stage. Another uncompressed block follows right after that.

But then, there is:

Code:
    FC 01 00 01 00 73 70 72 20 47 4C
    The flag bit is 0xFC = 0x11111100, so there are 6 uncompressed bytes (the last ones) and two compressed data entities (the "01 00" pairs). Compressed entities usually take 2 bytes in most LZSS variants and usually encode a run length/offset pair that points to a previously decompressed string in the sliding window (usually 4K in size, most certainly doesn't matter here as it's only 2K of decompressed data).

So once you find out how the compressed 2 byte pairs are encoded (could be 4 bit run length, 12 bit offset), you'll be able to decompress this.

Some pointers on algorithm variants and implementations that could help here: Bohemia Interactive Wiki: Compressed LZSS File Format.

EDIT: An even better description including pseudo code is here: LZSS - XentaxWiki
    http://schnaader.info
    Damn kids. They're all alike.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to schnaader For This Useful Post:

McGee (18th March 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    It could be LZRW1 or LZRW1-A, which were written in 1991. They both use a 12 bit offset and 4 bit length, but A uses lengths 3..18 instead of 1..16. http://www.ross.net/compression/lzrw1a.html

NTFS compression uses a variant where the fewer bits are used for the offset at the beginning of the block, allowing more bits to be used to encode the match length. I can only find the technical details in Russian in an obsolete character set. http://mattmahoney.net/dc/text.html#6368

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by schnaader View Post
    So once you find out how the compressed 2 byte pairs are encoded (could be 4 bit run length, 12 bit offset), you'll be able to decompress this.
    It looks like match lengths are encoded in top 5 bits of the second byte of 2-byte-pair, and min. match length equals 2.
    If you extract top 5 bits of each pair, increment them by 2 and sum all match lengths with literal count, you will get expected 1931 bytes of output.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zombie28 For This Useful Post:

McGee (29th March 2016)

Thanks
    Massive thanks everyone!

It seems the file is using a variant of LZSS. With your detailed explanation and references I have wrote a simple decompresser but couldn’t get the correct values for the run length/offset. zombie28's suggestion sounds very promising and I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I always find it hard to identify a compression method, do you have any tips? I use some tools such as file and binstalk but both usually don't return anything useful. I guess it's a case of reading up on compression methods and gaining plenty experience.

Thanks
    Quickbms (http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm) has a script to brute force lots of compression algorithms.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pzo For This Useful Post:

schnaader (18th March 2016)