Thread: Best Compressor software to compress pure C source codes?

Thanks

Best Compressor software to compress pure C source codes?

Hi! I have a dilemma/problem at my workspace, and I would like to ask some help to solve it!

Before some month, we had and we used a syncronisation cloud server and we could upload the codes on the fly, without any extra work : at the moment, when we saved the modification/new version, the folder started to be syncronisated and later we could take the current codes wherever we ha a PC and Net. This was very good for me too, because e.g. if my code had some very irritative bug, but I had to finish the code for a close deadline, I could download the code after work at home, and peruse and correct the code thru the night.
    We build our technical product's software on Atmel AT-Mega2560 mikroprocessors (Arduino), so we code everything in C. (yet, we don't have any assembly coder)

But now, we moved to a distant land in the country, to continue our developments in bigger workshops. (we are an agri-technical company in hungary, mainly building huge grain storage and drying systems, but we also try to develop a comprehensive digital automatization for these.)
    While we moved to the countryside, we got somewhere very far from the urban places. This means, that we could only get a very-very slow internet connection by our ISP. It is 2Mbit in all, and it is divided between more than 300 worker. Therefore my colleagues are reluctant to syncronise their work, to save bandwidth for other office workers.

We talked a bit about, that we would try our syncronisation routine, if we could minimize our project files drastically by some offline method - e.g. fifth of the size. But, it would be really good, if there would be a ready software, what compress C source codes the best - BUT in a LOSSLESSLY form (to hold the structure/wrapping). (We write our comments in english in the code, and usually it is don't so much)

So, are there any effective pure C code compressor exist?

Thanks in advanced!

Thanks
    Use a revision control system. I'm partial to git, so if I were you I would set up a local server for a git repository (it probably won't take many resources; you can likely put it on a shared server, or something really cheap like a Raspberry Pi). Have everyone use that repo when they're at the office. Then just set up a hook on the server to mirror the repo off site; GitLab.com even offers free private repositories. When people are out of the office, they can clone from the off-site mirror.

The only somewhat tricky part would be making the off-site mirror read/write. Probably the easiest way to solve this would be to just have everyone push to both repositories (they could still pull from either, depending on whether or not they're at the office).

Another option would be to make the on-site repository read-only, have everyone push to the off-site repository, and use a hook on the off-site repo to push changes back to your on-site repo (e.g., use a gitlab web hook to make an HTTP request back to a trivial little server on the same machine as your on-site git server, and anytime a request is made just poll the remote repo for changes).

Git will actually use compression behind the scenes (zlib, I think), but the real benefit would be that you don't have to make a trip out to the remote server every time you do something, and only the bits which change need to be sent over the network.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nemequ For This Useful Post:

paqfan (10th August 2016)

Thanks
    If you are looking for something that takes less resources (and is a little more basic) than Gitlab, I can additinally recommend "Go Git Service" https://gogs.io

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tobijdc For This Useful Post:

paqfan (10th August 2016)

Thanks
    To be clear, I wasn't suggesting he run a copy of GitLab; that's probably overkill. I was suggesting that he could use GitLab.com, a service offering free hosting of the open-source GitLab software, which allows private repositories with unlimited contributors.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nemequ For This Useful Post:

Bulat Ziganshin (15th August 2016),paqfan (10th August 2016),tobijdc (10th August 2016)