Thread: Is Zstandard eventually going to take the place of zlib?

Thanks

Is Zstandard eventually going to take the place of zlib?

Reading up on FSE/ANS I've discovered Zstandard. It seems to compare very well from the benchmarks against zlib. It also appears that it's being packaged into GNU distributions as "zstd" and "libzstd".
    So I was genuinely wondering if we can assume that, in the future, this library is going to be the default go-to choice for most compression needs (a place that is currently occupied by zlib).

Thanks
    I hope so! Zlib is a dinosaur that lasted very well. It was great for the era, but I'm hoping Zstd heralds the new era of rock solid ubiquitous compression library.

Expert
    Thanks
    No, because compatibility with existing software is more important than speed or compression ratio. The deflate format will be around for a long time.

Thanks
    What's more peculiar is why zlib-ng, intel igzip and cloudflare's zlib haven't taken the place of the original zlib.

All 3 of them are faster (maybe double the speed at compression) while being binary compatible. It looks simply like lack of decent packaging is maybe stopping the distributions from using them, or simply fear of change.

Thanks
    Because zlib is everywhere, everyone knows it, because it has lots of desirable secondary characteristics such as "decades of extensive use make it pretty safe to assume there's no rare data-corruption bugs or nasty exploitable security vulnerabilities", and in a fair number of use cases, the answer to "would you rather have more speed or compression ratio?" is "honestly, I'm fine with both as they are, and what I'd really rather not have is breakage from updating a component that's completely incidental to what my app is trying to do".

If compression is a significant part of what you do, or a significant bottleneck, then you might be motivated to use a better zlib, or Zstd, or whatever. Yes, zlib is boring. But boring is exactly what you want in many cases..

For most of the world, DEFLATE is just part of some protocols and file formats they deal with, but completely incidental to what they're doing. They have no reason to upgrade, and really they shouldn't. The last thing these apps need is to complicate their dependencies and deployment with random "exotic" (which at least igzip and Cloudflare's zlib certainly are, and so is zstd right now) dependencies that don't contribute much value to the app and have an increased likelihood of causing trouble and extra maintenance work later on.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fgiesen For This Useful Post:

jibz (28th September 2016),jman (13th April 2017),stbrumme (28th September 2016)

Thanks
    I expect zlib to have well more than a decade of significant use ahead. Possibly much more. But whether it will stay dominant after that time? It's hard to tell. I think that ZSTD is the first codec that has a chance of challenging zlib's dominance.

Thanks
    Matt and Fabian raise interesting points and I agree with current uses. However new tools and new file formats will gradually help the take up of Zstd instead. This is already happening. Deflate will be around for as long as those old file formats / protocols are in use, which could be decades, but percentage wise it's bound to drop off.