Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DiskZIP

Thanks

Lightbulb DiskZIP

As the developer of DiskZIP, I would like to personally present the product in this forum, and ask for product feedback.

The product is commercial, I hope this is not a problem.

It has two components.

File Compression: Plug-in based. Currently ships with two plug-ins. One is based on the 7-Zip stack (version 16.04) with custom handling of RAR archives for improved UNRAR handling compared to stock 7-Zip. Another is based on the Bricolsoft ZIP stack for WinZip compatible ZIPX (de)compression, including JPEG (de)compression. Ticket to fame is the shell namespace extension, which to my knowledge is the only stable implementation for Windows. Actions such as copy/paste, drag/drop, double-click seamlessly compress, extract, view, and even optionally update archives. Advanced actions such as Check-Out are available directly from the shell namespace extension as well. Of course, full right-click integration in File Explorer is also provided. Tasks are started in parallel when underlying SSDs are detected for peak performance. Outlook Add-Ins and Preview Handlers are also available in the base package. Stand-alone archive apps are also present, but these would not stand out in any way.

Disk Compression: Patent-pending. Online and offline modes available. Offline mode includes built in dedup, malware protection (system state as it was last compressed is impregnable to malware, reducing attack surface to changes made since the last compression pass only), and is shown to increase disk read speeds, even on already very fast SSD hardware. An additional benefit discovered after product went to market is disk lifespan increase - in a customer test on identical hardware/software setup, the DiskZIP compressed disk was used 20 times less over a 30 day testing period, according to S.M.A.R.T. results. Offline disk compression can compress and recompress disks on-the-fly, without requiring any external storage. For 100% data protection in the event of unexpected power loss or hardware errors, a Backup Disk may be used. Compressed disks may also be uncompressed as long as space is sufficient. The offline mode can also be used as a generic disk imaging solution, including applications for cloning PC's from one set of hardware to another.

While the software is commercial, gamification offers discount coupons up to 70% - reducing the software cost very substantially. When all benefits are included, the software is a terrific bargain, even without any gamification discounts.

A free trial is available at www.diskzip.com. The trial never expires, is completely unlimited for file compression, but has some limitations for disk compression (one-time offline compression only, and for online compression, ends processing after 1 GB free space is created - although repeatable indefinitely).

I would appreciate feedback on the product, most particularly with the shell namespace extension based file compressor, and the offline disk compressor.

Looking forward to it!

Thank you.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diskzip For This Useful Post:

Bulat Ziganshin (30th May 2017),encode (30th May 2017),kassane (7th December 2017),necros (5th June 2017)

Thanks
    Looks like this is a reincarnation of MagicRAR.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jibz For This Useful Post:

diskzip (30th May 2017),nikkho (30th May 2017)

Thanks
    Damn,

Blurred memories... It made me remember this.

AiZ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AiZ For This Useful Post:

diskzip (31st May 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AiZ View Post
    Damn,

AiZ
    That's exactly the idea, thank you.

We have not had disk compression with the ratios Stacker offered for MS-DOS and Windows 3.1x (and even OS/2) for two decades on Windows NT based operating systems.

When Microsoft released Windows NT, it was of course incompatible with Stacker, and featured its own built-in NTFS file compression. NTFS compression was file-based (per-file and not per-volume), and it did not even come close to the compression ratios offered by Stacker. This was the situation for 20 years, where we could not compress a disk like we could back in the days of DOS, in a sad regression of technology.

NTFS compression also did terrible things for speed. Because compression was dynamic, every file write would be delayed as the operating system would compress data being written in the background.

Now DiskZIP has compressed volume file based disk compression, just like Stacker; and offers adjustable compression ratios much stronger than NTFS file compression, again just like Stacker. Also, just like Stacker, it includes tools to check the health of your disk, report on your compression savings, re-compress or uncompress your disk, and adjust the free disk space projected on your disk at a multiplier ratio that you can change and control.

DiskZIP does have a few features that are missing in Stacker too:

A full file compression stack, including nearly $100 worth file compression features included in competitors such as WinZip.

The ability to use Backup Disks while compressing your disk, to ensure unexpected power loss or hardware errors with disks you are compressing will not result in any data loss.

The ability to use your compressed volume file to backup/restore/clone your PC (its simply a one file copy operation to backup your disk; and to clone, you copy this file to your new PC, and run DiskZIP in System Restore mode).

Your compressed volume file is also 100% impregnable to malware. In fact, DiskZIP would protect you from all malware that encrypt your disk - they would *think* they are encrypting your data, where it would remain safe inside your compressed volume file. Only the changes made to disk since your last (re)compression operation would be at risk, thus dramatically reducing the attack surface on your PC.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diskzip For This Useful Post:

Bulat Ziganshin (31st May 2017),comp1 (31st May 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AiZ View Post
    Damn,
    Sure.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkho For This Useful Post:

diskzip (1st June 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkho View Post
    The FDFORMAT tool with its Turbo Pascal sources was nothing short of amazing!

Not only did it format higher capacity disks, it also performed sector sliding, which was an incredible performance boost back in the day.

I also remember trying the full 2MB format for 3 1/2" floppies. It worked, but it was impractically slow.

Thanks
    To me it looks like the heavylifting in DiskZip for disk compression is performed by the opensource wimlib [https://wimlib.net] libraries.
    Online price of $59 (non-discounted rate) IMHO is too expensive for the value-added.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emailuser2009 For This Useful Post:

Bulat Ziganshin (3rd June 2017),dado023 (3rd June 2017),diskzip (3rd June 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emailuser2009 View Post
    To me it looks like the heavylifting in DiskZip for disk compression is performed by the opensource wimlib [https://wimlib.net] libraries.
    Online price of $59 (non-discounted rate) IMHO is too expensive for the value-added.
    The open source wimlib is missing some vital functionality. For example, you cannot delete files as soon as they're compressed. Without this vital function, your disk will run out of space every time you (re)compress it.

Everything else that's not compressed volume file related is also completely out of scope for wimlib. For example, DiskZIP Online's disk compression is based on NTFS and the new Windows 10 compression methods, which are per-file compression methods some people prefer over per-disk compression implementations (even though they lose deduplication benefits, they offer the flexibility of running without restarting Windows).

In theory, you *could* approximate DiskZIP Offline's disk compression features if you had:

1) An external Backup Disk, equal in size to the disk you are compressing.
    2) A bootable USB thumb drive with Windows PE (and any custom RAID/storage drivers embedded).
    3) wimlib (or Microsoft) compressed volume file related binaries.

But this would be a much slower workflow than DiskZIP Offline if the drive you are compressing is full, due to redundant compression/recompression operations you would have to do on the Backup Disk, instead of directly on the target disk.

On disks with terabytes of data, this would get order(s) of magnitude slower than DiskZIP. That's to say nothing of the fact that if you had a Backup Disk of equivalent size, you probably wouldn't want to compress your disk anyways (although the acceleration and malware protection are still tangible benefits).

Of course this would also lack all of the tooling DiskZIP Offline provides for compressed volume files, such as compressed disk health checks, instant access to DiskZIP Offline from the boot menu (without needing Windows PE on a USB stick, or any Backup Disk), the free disk space projection driver, etc.
    Last edited by diskzip; 4th June 2017 at 00:53.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to diskzip For This Useful Post:

Bulat Ziganshin (4th June 2017)

Thanks
    I would also like to thank Zyzzyva, who added many features to wimlib in order to help realize the DiskZIP Offline vision for disk compression. Initial DiskZIP Offline versions used Microsoft's own WIMGAPI, but wimlib offered better compression methods and greater performance/stability/scalability after Zyzzyva's enhancements. wimlib soon eclipsed WIMGAPI, and DiskZIP has since then deprecated the use of WIMGAPI, although it is still available as an option in the Options dialog; a remnant of the very first versions of the software.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	330 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	4920

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, so there will always be some people for whom $17 (after the gamification discounts) is still going to be too expensive for the above benefits/convenience. At least, they can still enjoy the enhancements made to wimlib thanks to DiskZIP, which are of course fully open source.
    Last edited by diskzip; 4th June 2017 at 14:11.

Thanks
    As the author of wimlib I'd like to clarify that the actual compression algorithms used in the "offline mode disk compression" feature of this product are actually XPRESS and LZX, specifically the LGPL'ed compressor implementations in wimlib, which you can read about more at https://wimlib.net/compression.html. This is combined with the built-in Windows support for "WIM-backed" files, sometimes called "WIMBoot". Essentially, wimlib is used to create a large WIM archive containing almost all the files deduplicated and compressed (similar to running 'wimcapture' on the command line using the wimlib command-line tools), and then wimlib is used again to extract the WIM image on top of the original files, replacing them with "WIM-backed" stubs (similar to running 'wimapply --wimboot' on the command line; this was first supported in wimlib v1.7.0, released in June 2014).

Also, none of the developers of any of the several commercial products that use wimlib have ever contributed even a single patch back to wimlib --- though naturally I receive questions, bug reports, and feature requests (with widely varying levels of vagueness and sanity) from time to time. I also do not use or endorse any such product and cannot, in general, independently verify the claims made in any advertisements.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zyzzyva For This Useful Post:

Bekk (22nd September 2017),Bulat Ziganshin (4th June 2017),diskzip (4th June 2017),jibz (4th June 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    As the author of wimlib I'd like to clarify that the actual compression algorithms used in the "offline mode disk compression" feature of this product are actually XPRESS and LZX, specifically the LGPL'ed compressor implementations in wimlib, which you can read about more at https://wimlib.net/compression.html. This is combined with the built-in Windows support for "WIM-backed" files, sometimes called "WIMBoot". Essentially, wimlib is used to create a large WIM archive containing almost all the files deduplicated and compressed (similar to running 'wimcapture' on the command line using the wimlib command-line tools), and then wimlib is used again to extract the WIM image on top of the original files, replacing them with "WIM-backed" stubs (similar to running 'wimapply --wimboot' on the command line; this was first supported in wimlib v1.7.0, released in June 2014).

Also, none of the developers of any of the several commercial products that use wimlib have ever contributed even a single patch back to wimlib --- though naturally I receive questions, bug reports, and feature requests (with widely varying levels of vagueness and sanity) from time to time. I also do not use or endorse any such product and cannot, in general, independently verify the claims made in any advertisements.
    Thank you again, Zyzzyva.

Would you and others also care to publicly comment on the sanity level of my persistent request to allow a compression grade change with the --unsafe-compact option? I had suggested this may be allowed when choosing a stronger compression algorithm, and maybe, even for insane users, in the opposite direction as well. It would be the ultimate icing on the cake (although the cake is already very, very good).

I would also like to clarify that I did contribute a Delphi/Pascal header for wimlib back to the project. In case you forgot or lost the header, I've uploaded the latest version herein.

I would have loved to contribute more, but non-Delphi languages give me so much pain! FWIW, I had also attempted to originally build the --unsafe-compact option with outside help on various freelancing sites, but as you know, none of them were successful. Therefore, thank you very much once again, Zyzzyva, for having built that in - as it allows in-place recompression of a compressed volume file, which is extremely convenient from an end-user perspective (I know, since I use it at least once a week, to keep my disks and PCs in top form).

In fact, if anyone here would care to work to enhance the --unsafe-compact option with in-place compression algorithm changes as well (yes, it would be potentially unsafe even when going to a stronger algorithm), I would be very happy to sponsor their work on a freelancer site of their choosing. I would pay for all of the development (provided the fees are affordable), and all of the resultant work would go directly back to the open source wimlib project. DiskZIP would also of course be a very happy consumer of the new feature, with even happier end-users, who would surely make mistakes in abusing the feature from time to time, no doubt; but the choice would at least be theirs to make...
    Attached Files Attached Files

20. The Following User Says Thank You to diskzip For This Useful Post:

Bulat Ziganshin (4th June 2017)

Thanks
    Our partner Orontes Projects has started offering a free (for all DiskZIP customers) data deduplication installer for (almost) all Windows versions:

http://www.orontesprojects.com/

Allow me to explain why this is good news.

DiskZIP has its own deduplication user interface, called DiskZIP Max, as part of its disk and file compression suite.

It allows you to compress, optimize, and uncompress disks using data deduplication without having to mess around the PowerShell command line (and without having to install dedup commandlets, etc.), by slapping a basic GUI on the process.

Data deduplication is extremely effective to compress data disks, especially virtual machine libraries - which easily reach compression ratios of 4:1 across the entire disk.

The only drawbacks are:

1) It does not support boot disks.

2) It is only available for Windows Server operating systems.

This is what our partner Orotnes Projects helps with. They have a one-click solution which turns data deduplication on all Windows versions (except 32-bit, of course):

http://www.orontesprojects.com/?page_id=371

Again, this is free for all DiskZIP customers!

Name:	image002.png 
Views:	303 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	4930

Thank you very much, Orontes Projects, for building a completely automated data deduplication installer!

DiskZIP Max does not work without it, unless installed on a Server operating system.

As for the first drawback...

I invested some time in getting data deduplication to work on boot disks as well.

I eventually abandoned this line of research, because DiskZIP Offline actually compresses better than data deduplication, and there were complications with Windows Update installation.

However, data deduplication is still very interesting for live data - if you were to compress your virtual machines with DiskZIP Offline, they would be extracted on first use, defeating the purpose of the exercise.

You can run virtual machines from a deduplicated volume, and it works very well.

Currently, I use two volumes - one deduplication volume for my VMs, compressed with DiskZIP Max (at insane ratios), and my boot/OS volume, compressed with DiskZIP Offline, with still the best ratios possible.

So if anybody would like to try the data deduplicator for boot disks, please feel free to PM me, and I will be happy to send you my data deduplicator for boot disks as well:

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	4932

Of course, a very important word - or two - of caution!!!

Name:	Windows 8.1 x64-2017-06-06-15-38-32.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	4931

I would not recommend this use on a production system, or on any system you may need to uninstall it later on, or on any system where you may need it for Windows Updates to work!!!

Name:	Windows 8.1 x64-2017-06-06-15-38-51.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	395.7 KB 
ID:	4933

This alpha software does NOT support uninstallation, and it does NOT support Windows Update installation (there may also be other issues).

Name:	Windows 8.1 x64-2017-06-06-15-39-09.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	398.3 KB 
ID:	4934

However, it does work (in the good single-click tradition of DiskZIP tools), and if you want to experiment, why not:

Name:	Windows 8.1 x64-2017-06-06-15-39-17.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	399.0 KB 
ID:	4935

Yes, the code-name for this project at DiskZIP was Stacker.

Name:	Windows 8.1 x64-2017-06-06-15-39-26.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	398.8 KB 
ID:	4936

Who knows, if there is some interest in it, maybe I could revive it some day...

Name:	Windows 8.1 x64-2017-06-06-15-42-32.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	395.3 KB 
ID:	4937
    Last edited by diskzip; 6th June 2017 at 15:45.

Thanks
    I've got great news - DiskZIP 2018 is live, with the following enhancements:

- Maximum compression strings in the command line override region of the 7-Zip Plug-In have been updated.
    - BZIP2, GZIP, and ZIP archive types now have access to Ultra, Fast, and Fastest compression presets in the 7-Zip Plug-In.
    - CPU access priorities are now enforced in the 7-Zip Plug-In.
    - The 7-Zip Plug-In now has an option to force the use of all CPU cores during the creation of a 7-Zip archive.
    - The 7-Zip Plug-In now retains advanced settings such as password usage and header encryption even when using a command line override.
    - The default compression profiles for 7-Zip have been updated to leverage the above enhancements as befitting their intended compression grades.
    - The self-extractor stubs shipping with the 7-Zip Plug-In have been updated to the latest 7-Zip version.
    - DiskZIP Max now redirects to use partner Orontes Project's data deduplication services installer, when those services are missing.
    - DiskZIP Max now disables scheduled data deduplication operation when creating and processing data deduplication drives. This ensures that live data may be safely stored on data deduplicated drives (such as virtual machines, which are extremely compressible).
    - DiskZIP Offline no longer excludes files already contained inside a compressed image file due to low disk space conditions (such files are already safe to include).
    - DiskZIP Offline now offers to skip disk checking before processing a disk when disk checking cannot be conducted successfully due to operating system updates.
    - DiskZIP Offline reminds you to plug in your PC only when you are running on battery power.
    - DiskZIP Offline now shows drive labels only when processing disks (drive letters are subject to temporary reorganization upon reboot).
    - DiskZIP Offline now warns when it may be unsafe to process your disk without a Backup Disk (as may happen in extremely low disk space scenarios).
    - DiskZIP Online now waits for the operating system to finish compressing files when invoked by DiskZIP Offline in exclusive processing mode (not waiting resulted in marginal loss of compression savings).
    - DiskZIP Online now enforces a group of file exclusions to safely compress Windows 10 disks when using the XPRESS8K and XPRESS16K compression grades (the lack of which resulted in unbootable systems).
    - DiskZIP Online no longer defaults to skip compressing files without the archive attribute set (this resulted in substantial loss of compresssion savings).
    - DiskZIP Integrator saves the corrupted list of files to disk when it finishes checking a disk for corruption.
    - The Shell Namespace Extension now properly calculates compression ratios for files inside archives.
    - The Shell Namespace Extension no longer appends an incorrect " bytes" string to each file size text.
    - The Shell Namespace Extension fixes a couple of stability issues which resulted in unintentional restarts of Windows File Explorer.

Thank you for everyone who provided feedback and helped make DiskZIP 2018 a very substantial improvement over DiskZIP 2017!

Thanks
    We've just rolled out a minor update:

- DiskZIP Offline: Now permits you to change compression grades when re-compressing your disk using a Backup Disk.
    - DiskZIP File Compression: Right-click extraction for archives could be delayed by cached network paths, now fixed.

Thanks
    Just to let you all know our latest released versions fully support Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

We've completed a full round of regression testing with flying colors

25. The Following User Says Thank You to diskzip For This Useful Post:

nikkho (20th October 2017)

Thanks
    Our partners at Orontes have just released the latest version of their Data Deduplication installer for Windows:

www.zipmagic.co/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=201

Normally, to use DiskZIP Max (which is based on data deduplication), you need to install data deduplication services manually.

Our partners at Orontes eliminate this need by taking care of the entire installation for you, now with full compatibility for all 64-bit Windows Desktop versions 8, 8.1, and 10 - including the latest Fall Creators Update - ; all Languages; and of course Windows Server editions 2012, 2012 R2, and 2016.

Best of all, Orontes's Data Deduplication installer is free to everyone with a DiskZIP or ZIPmagic license! Enjoy!!!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to diskzip For This Useful Post:

Simorq (1st November 2017)

Thanks
    Our partners have just released another exciting update, with support for removable drives, among other code optimizations, file system enhancements, and more new code.

Support for removable drives is particularly exciting, because it is not something you can do with Windows *at all*!

They have even more exciting work in progress, even more revolutionary in nature than removable drive support - we can hardly contain our excitement waiting for their updates. ETA is January 2018 for the second batch of enhancements.

Please note, support for removable drive dedup is available *immediately* as of this writing - no need to wait for that at all.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to diskzip For This Useful Post:

nikkho (3rd December 2017)

Thanks
    DiskZIP 2018.3 is now available for download. This is a strongly recommended performance update. It fixes the following issues:

o Windows File Explorer was slowed down (sometimes substantially) due to incorrect parsing and handling of EXE files which may have been self-extracting archives. This bug has been fixed.

o Local floppy drives (such as A: or B were always polled after having been used as an extraction target once, unnecessarily slowing down future right-click extract operations. This bug has been fixed.

o The archive handler workhorse incorrectly handled error conditions, escalating frivolously to the operating system where errors were internally handled already. This bug has also been fixed.

There have been no changes to the disk compression component of the products in this performance update.

Thanks
    Per a recent request, here is an alpha version of my software which gets data deduplication to work on boot disks as well:

www.zipmagic.co/stacker2.exe

(Screenshots above)

Very important!

This proof-of-concept alpha build does compress indeed a boot disk with data deduplication, but if you use it, you will *not* be able to install any more Windows Updates on your system, and compatibility with multiple applications may be broken after installation. There is no uninstallation available for this alpha either, so I cannot recommend its use on a production system.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to diskzip For This Useful Post:

Godrih (25th September 2018)

Thanks
    The requestor has some follow up questions which would be useful for the general public as well, but he is unable to post directly on this thread due to this error:

Name:	2BwiG.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	5672

Is an admin available to help with this please? The private messaging thread with the requestor has grown very long, and I would like other users to benefit from the discussion as well.

If there's an issue I should be aware of, please let me know!

Thanks to admins!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to diskzip For This Useful Post:

Hunter23071985 (26th January 2018)

Thanks
    Anyone? My thanker above is the requestor in this case Apparently he can thank but not post

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diskzip View Post
    Compress C: with DiskZIP. You may be surprised at how much free disk space you gain with no performance penalty.
    What am I missing? 1.2GB gain after installing diskzip. All files look like blue ntfs-compressed and I did not find any file that I could not read on another windows that does not have diskzip installed. Yes, I used that disk from another windows. I could run programs and read RTF TXT LOG, nothing suggest that diskzip is using some compression other than MS ntfs-compress.

Code:
    Before

30719999 kB diskutrymme totalt.
      21125528 kB i 101831 filer.
         81316 kB i 20053 index.
             0 kB i skadade sektorer.
        240363 kB används av operativsystemet.
         65536 kB hårddisksutrymme används av loggfilen.
       9272792 kB ledigt utrymme.

4096 byte i varje allokeringsenhet.
       7679999 allokeringsenheter finns totalt på disken.
       2318198 allokeringsenheter är tillgängliga på disken.

After

19898284 kB i 102072 filer.
        102856 kB i 20316 index.
             0 kB i skadade sektorer.
        240839 kB används av operativsystemet.
      10478020 kB ledigt utrymme.

2619505 allokeringsenheter är tillgängliga på disken.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a902cd23 For This Useful Post:

diskzip (6th April 2018),schnaader (6th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by a902cd23 View Post
    What am I missing? 1.2GB gain after installing diskzip. All files look like blue ntfs-compressed and I did not find any file that I could not read on another windows that does not have diskzip installed. Yes, I used that disk from another windows. I could run programs and read RTF TXT LOG, nothing suggest that diskzip is using some compression other than MS ntfs-compress.

Code:
    Before

21125528 kB i 101831 filer.
         81316 kB i 20053 index.
             0 kB i skadade sektorer.
        240363 kB används av operativsystemet.
       9272792 kB ledigt utrymme.

2318198 allokeringsenheter är tillgängliga på disken.

After

19898284 kB i 102072 filer.
        102856 kB i 20316 index.
             0 kB i skadade sektorer.
        240839 kB används av operativsystemet.
      10478020 kB ledigt utrymme.

2619505 allokeringsenheter är tillgängliga på disken.
    Sounds like you used DiskZIP Online in NTFS Compression mode:

Name:	one.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	5872

DiskZIP Online supports NTFS compression with various advantages over standard NTFS compression as summarized here:

www.zipmagic.co/drive-space.html

Ther are some additional benefits to using DiskZIP Online in place of ZIPmagic DriveSpace, but that is out of context here.

For your scenario, you should instead be trying DiskZIP Offline in your desired compression mode to maximize disk space on drive C:

Name:	titled_.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	5871

This will ensure that you use DiskZIP's own enhanced compression, instead of OS-ingrained compression methods. Minimum space savings are guaranteed to be at 5 GB when you compress a boot partition. We are able to guarantee this because that is how much free disk space is created when the core OS files are compressed. Your real-world space savings wll be substantially higher, of course.

You can also look at DiskZIP Max, but this one has no acceleration effect, and cannot compress boot disks as described earlier on this thread:

Name:	titled__.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	5870

To clarify whether disks can be read on other operating systems:

DiskZIP Max requires dedup drivers (which themselves require a 64 bit OS) and thus may render a disk unreadable on an operating system without those drivers.

DiskZIP Online in NTFS compression mode can be read on all Windows operating systems, and even Linux hosts since they all support NTFS compression if I am not mistaken. Where it uses the more advanced Windows 10 compression modes, it can be read only on Windows 10 operating systems or later, and I am not aware of Linux support for the same.

DiskZIP Offline can be used and disks processed by it can be read on Windows 8.1 Update 1 and later. On legacy operating systems such as Windows 7, you can still read a DiskZIP Offline disk by using the wofadk.sys driver. Regardless of operating system, there are tools which you can use to extract the compressed disk image file created by DiskZIP Offline, and these tools are even available for Linux (thanks to the excellent efforts of Zyzzyva). However this would not be like seamless partition access, but more like manual archiver file extraction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diskzip View Post
    For your scenario, you should instead be trying DiskZIP Offline in your desired compression mode to maximize disk space on drive C:

DiskZIP Max requires dedup drivers (which themselves require a 64 bit OS) and thus may render a disk unreadable on an operating system without those drivers.

DiskZIP Offline can be used and disks processed by it can be read on Windows 8.1 Update 1 and later. On legacy operating systems such as Windows 7, you can still read a DiskZIP Offline disk by using the wofadk.sys driver. Regardless of operating system, there are tools which you can use to extract the compressed disk image file created by DiskZIP Offline, and these tools are even available for Linux (thanks to the excellent efforts of Zyzzyva). However this would not be like seamless partition access, but more like manual archiver file extraction.
    I have amd6000 with 4gb ram and 1 ide-disk with win7x64. I have tested user and server of zipmagic and cannot see any offline anywhere. All I could see is blue ntfs-compressed files, zipmagic said something like LZ8S/LZ8X detected. But testing some files in Program\ and Windows\ they are all readable from another windows.

Where can I find DiskZIP Max?
    Where can I find wofadk.sys? How can I use it with W7, is installer included?
    Do I need to register?
    Why call it "offline"? Do I need to unplug my RJ45?

You are advertising to much and tell to little of how I can achieve the goal. Showing pics of some program i cannot find does not help.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to a902cd23 For This Useful Post:

elit (25th September 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by a902cd23 View Post
    I have amd6000 with 4gb ram and 1 ide-disk with win7x64. I have tested user and server of zipmagic and cannot see any offline anywhere. All I could see is blue ntfs-compressed files, zipmagic said something like LZ8S/LZ8X detected. But testing some files in Program\ and Windows\ they are all readable from another windows.

Where can I find DiskZIP Max?
    Where can I find wofadk.sys? How can I use it with W7, is installer included?
    Do I need to register?
    Why call it "offline"? Do I need to unplug my RJ45?

You are advertising to much and tell to little of how I can achieve the goal. Showing pics of some program i cannot find does not help.
    Unfortunately, I don't have good news for you.

As I wrote above earlier, DiskZIP Offline (or its ZIPmagic brethren, ZIPmagic DoubleSpace), require at least Windows 8.1 with Update 1. Your Windows 7 is too old.

You can still enjoy the unique benefits of ZIPmagic DriveSpace, but as you have noticed, all you're going to get essentially is faster and more thorough application of NTFS compression on your drive - admittedly, not that exciting!

You guessed right about offline - if you keep the NIC cable plugged in, it will overheat the computer because it cannot handle the interrupts coming in from the NIC card and the very demanding task of disk compression at the same time. I burned through several CPUs until I discovered this!!!

Just kidding, of course It's called offline because it runs outside of Windows, so your main Windows instance is taken `offline` temporarily. When it finishes processing, you boot back into Windows and it runs faster and has at least 5GB more free disk space.

Thanks
    I am still kind of unsure what to think about DiskZIP. The idea seems great, however, first - about the homepage: It looks modern, but somewhat sketchy. It gives a lot of promises, but does not show any benchmarks, neither how the interface works, nor what the "magic" is (and it looks like magic, so you should explain the tech behind it!)
    Second: No major tech site reviewed the program. Mail it to softonic.com or whatever site. They do screenshots, offer downloads and write a little about it. Gives you more publicity.

And third, personal questions:
    I am a Gamer, how would DiskZIP benefit me? Is the program permanently in the background? How much CPU does it consume? If the game uses around 80% of the CPU, does it still benefit me?
    My HDD is slow as hell, so I'm sure it would benefit me in general aspects (surfing the web or whatever), but not sure about gaming.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to kurtextrem For This Useful Post:

diskzip (16th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thank you for your post!

Quote Originally Posted by kurtextrem View Post
    I am still kind of unsure what to think about DiskZIP. The idea seems great, however, first - about the homepage: It looks modern, but somewhat sketchy. It gives a lot of promises, but does not show any benchmarks, neither how the interface works, nor what the "magic" is (and it looks like magic, so you should explain the tech behind it!)
    Yes, the DiskZIP site is a little sparse on details, being primarily benefit focused (instead of feature focused). If you are looking for a more detailed/feature focused site, and even a forum where you can post, please check https://www.zipmagic.co. Please note that ZIPmagic is the inferior brand - it maximizes free disk space at the cost of some speed, and unlike DiskZIP, it cannot be tweaked to prioritize speed over space. DiskZIP will actually increase your disk read speeds, even if it compresses slightly less than ZIPmagic (and you can tell it to compress just like ZIPmagic, if you want to sacrifice speed for space).

There are a couple of benchmarks on the DiskZIP site even.

The software help file contains fully detailed instructions on how to use the software interface, which for the most part, is a one-click operation anyways.

Ultimately, you should just try the software. If you are concerned about anything at all, try it inside a virtual machine.

This will be far more productive than speculating about it. I encourage everyone to think about the software, but thinking about it when not trying it out is idle speculation, and yields no fruit whatsoever. Thinking about it based on actual interactions with the software, however, will be very productive.

Second: No major tech site reviewed the program. Mail it to softonic.com or whatever site. They do screenshots, offer downloads and write a little about it. Gives you more publicity.
    Most tech site reviews nowadays appear biased, even if they are not. I found an excellent third party review for you, even if it is forum based. The reviewer has literally reverse engineered as much as (s)he can about the internals of the software without having source level access. It is a very educating read, and there's little (even if any) I could add on top of his or her review:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...nished.815511/

Of course, I would encourage you to submit the software to your favorite sites for a review. Just don't hold your breath - editorial calendars are often booked months, sometimes even years in advance.

And third, personal questions:
    I am a Gamer, how would DiskZIP benefit me?
    Same benefits as everyone else - as highlighted on the DiskZIP website:

1. More free disk space (without performance loss).
    2. Slight increase in disk read speeds (an actual performance gain).
    3. One-step recovery from all kinds of malware, including accidental changes you make yourself.

Is the program permanently in the background?
    No.

How much CPU does it consume?
    None unless you are reading a compressed file from disk.

To be honest, I have not been able to measure how much CPU the software consumes when reading a file from disk.

The existing disk read benchmarks suggest it would be extremely nominal.

If the game uses around 80% of the CPU, does it still benefit me?
    Yes. The benchmarks already show a few games being accelerated by DiskZIP technology while running.

My HDD is slow as hell, so I'm sure it would benefit me in general aspects (surfing the web or whatever), but not sure about gaming.
    For a slow disk, it is recommended you use the MaxSpace algorithm to compress your disk with DiskZIP Offline, to yield the most acceleration benefit.

Thanks
    Hi! I try to use DiskZIP on my PC and found some bugs. I compress RAID0 [2x 500GB WD Blue] (program RAID, not hardware), where stored my games, using LZX and after that some of them stop loading, some freeze after low hdd activity (Assassins Creed Unity), another dont work at all (modern Win10 apps) for example Forza Motorsport 7. Now I'm uncompressing this drive and after all done I maybe try use another compress algorithm.
    p.s. I use DiskZIP Online (in free mode), app downloaded 24.09.2018 from official site. OS Win10 Pro 1803 (Build 17134.286).
    p.p.s. Sorry for my bad English =)

upd
    Nope, with XPRESS 16KB same problem

upd 2
    Now, after using DiskZIP Offline on system drive I cant boot to OS, perfect xD
    Last edited by Godrih; 26th September 2018 at 19:29.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Godrih For This Useful Post:

diskzip (27th September 2018)

Thanks
    I am curious, what exactly is it that Windows 7 lack that newer OS's have that is so important for DiskZIP to function? Other than spyware that is?

48. The Following User Says Thank You to elit For This Useful Post:

diskzip (27th September 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godrih View Post
    Hi! I try to use DiskZIP on my PC and found some bugs. I compress RAID0 [2x 500GB WD Blue] (program RAID, not hardware), where stored my games, using LZX and after that some of them stop loading, some freeze after low hdd activity (Assassins Creed Unity), another dont work at all (modern Win10 apps) for example Forza Motorsport 7. Now I'm uncompressing this drive and after all done I maybe try use another compress algorithm.
    p.s. I use DiskZIP Online (in free mode), app downloaded 24.09.2018 from official site. OS Win10 Pro 1803 (Build 17134.286).
    p.p.s. Sorry for my bad English =)

upd
    Nope, with XPRESS 16KB same problem

upd 2
    Now, after using DiskZIP Offline on system drive I cant boot to OS, perfect xD
    Hey there,

Sorry to hear of your troubles!

Can you clarify what you mean by `program RAID`? Are you referring to dynamic disks in Windows?

Or is it a software product offered by Western Digital?

It would be great if you could supply some screenshots illustrating the problems you have had.

All of this is very irregular, so I would love to identify what is going on with your system that is interfering with its normal functioning.

Same with the failure to boot OS. Can you send a screenshot or screen capture? The compression log?

Do you have any anti-virus software that might be interfering?

The more details you can provide, the better.

What is the hardware of your OS boot disk?

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service,

50. The Following User Says Thank You to diskzip For This Useful Post:

Godrih (29th September 2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast