Thread: Compression is addictive

Thanks

Compression is addictive

As a programmer for the last 30 years, I only recently discovered the challenge of trying to write my own compression algorithms.

The problem itself seems simple, but the solutions cover a wide landscape and you can get near immediate feedback on your ideas.

The perfect combination for an addictive mental exercise.

I work at home and my wife thinks I'm developing apps as I normally do...but I'm not.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OnesAndZeroes For This Useful Post:

encode (3rd December 2017),JamesB (4th December 2017),Lucas (13th December 2017),snowcat (4th December 2017)

Thanks
    I developed a good algorithm for fast LZ compression. I'm working at the time when I eat porridge for breakfast.

Thanks
    Indeed yes it is!

I'm lucky that occasionally it coincides with my job too.

Thanks
    It most certainly is; I got bitten by the bug around '87 whilst compressing game data in multiple title compilations in order to fit the product on the smallest number of disks possible. Here I am 30 years later still evolving the techniques - and, like JamesB, still managing to find a justification to do it in my job too!

Thanks
    I agree, it's a very interesting field where a compression algorithm can be written in so many ways that research and development will pretty much never end. I got interested in it about 5 years ago back when I was 15. I'm guessing I'm one of the youngest on this forum, but I don't see myself stopping anytime soon

Thanks
    I started in early 2000, it is an awesome test of the mind. I remember perusing comp.compression newsgroups for information, writing my own compression code and then getting heavily into image compression in 2001 on. Eventually writing my own entropy algorithm. I would never change it for the world.