Thread: First experiment: simple LZP / ROLZ ish toy

Thanks

First experiment: simple LZP / ROLZ ish toy

Hi all,

I recently decided to start exercising my C skills again by implementing some of the data compression algorithms I learned over the years.

The first one I did, I don't remember the name for - basically, keep a rolling hash of data, look it up in a hash table; if it matches, output a 1, if not a 0 and the literal. Optimise to be byte aligned by gathering 8 flags and emitting together.

That actually performed a lot better than I expected when I expanded the hash table to 1MB. Even better than `lz4 -1` on enwik8.

Next, I implemented a simple LZP or ROLZ scheme.

Using a (8k then 64k) table of arrays of (at first 8 then 16) references, I hashed the last (2 bytes, then 3) and scanned the list of references for the longest match. I then output a match flag, the index, and the length.

If the length is short enough, I can store all that in a single byte, so even match lengths of 2 are acceptable.

Sequential literals are gathered into blocks with a (0, len) byte.

In either case if the length hits the maximum for its original size, an additional byte is read and added, allowing match lengths of (2 + 15 + 255) in the original, then (2 + 7 + 255) in the 16-deep. Literal runs can be up to (128 + 255) bytes long.

Literal run byte: 0lll llll (l = length - 1)
    Original match flag byte: 1iii llll (i = index, l = length - 2)
    Revised match flag byte: 1lll iiii

Again the results are not bad. I've done no optimisation for speed, but can manage to compress enwik9 in ~24 seconds, resulting in 485,910,956 bytes, and decompresses in ~12seconds.

For enwik8 it compresses to 55,343,408 bytes.

Some questions:
    1. Would this count as LZP, or ROLZ, or is LZP typically a ROLZ?
    2. I currently update the hash tables for every byte [up to -3 from the current] - is there a better scheme?

The longest match I've managed in enwik8 was 264 bytes. I guess my next step is to start gathering statistics to see how it's really performing.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FunkyBob For This Useful Post:

encode (2nd April 2019),Mike (2nd April 2019)

Thanks
    Forgot to mention I will post the code to github soon... if anyone expresses an interest.

Thanks
    1. ROLZ is "reduced offset" LZ, where distance is counted within a context
    LZP is a corner case of ROLZ, where only one offset per context is stored
    http://ctxmodel.net/files/LZP-DS_v0.rar
    http://mattmahoney.net/dc/flzp.zip
    https://github.com/IlyaGrebnov/libbs...p/lzp.cpp#L168

2. Another approach was mentioned here: https://encode.ru/threads/2681-SQUID...ll=1#post59629
    But to actually compete with existing implementations, you'd need optimal parsing most likely.

3. Did you see LZTP? https://encode.ru/threads/3005-TP-LI...ig-compression
    Usually there're just packed flags, but they extended this approach further, and just use interleaved bit and byte streams.
    I think it has some potential, despite being troublesome at encoding stage.

Thanks
    A few more details (sorry, last night I was tired and on cold/flu meds

It uses a 16MB buffer for history, so 24bit offset values. So combined with the (64k x 16 x 4 = 4MB) hash table, it requires 20MB to compress / decompress. The buffer is not a sliding history - offsets are absolute, and the buffer is discarded when a new frame is started.

Originally I was storing and checking the first byte, for hash validation, in the top byte of the offset, but that hurt compression.

I played with a few trivial hash functions, and did see improved results... so perhaps an area worth more investigation.

Shelwin,
    thanks for the links - I had not looked in depth at those. I had read Charles' paper on LZP.
    from the look of it, it may be worthwhile experimenting with different dimensions on the hash table - smaller hash, deeper lists.

--
    Curtis

Thanks
    Predictor Compression Protocol (PPP) = LZP.

I have a simple program *praq* that is similar to PPP/LZP. One lzpn program is faster than the other in lzpn.zip, which searches for match strings in a longer time.

You might want to take a look at praq.zip and lzpn.zip :

https://sites.google.com/site/dataco...uide/predictor

The programs use my variable-length coding function put_vlcode() in ucodes.c library which can write the universal codes Elias-Gamma codes and Exponential-Golomb codes.
    Last edited by compgt; 5th April 2019 at 11:21. Reason: put_vlcode()

Thanks
    Ah, yes, this looks like the first codec I implemented in my recent experimentation. Excellent for low memory situations because it uses a fixed space, and can be decoded in a _very_ simple loop. With a 1MB hash table it can achieve 58,018,831 on enwik8, and takes under 3 seconds on my laptop (i7-7500U).

After a machine failure, I've rewritten my LZ code, this time using a smaller hash table (4k) and longer list (12. This time it has fixed 2byte match encoding, and compresses enwik8 to 53,077,086 in just under 51 seconds.

Then I started playing with hash functions, table sizes, and some code optimisations. With a 64k hash table and "direct" 2-byte lookup, it manages 51,834,139 on enwik8 in roughly the same time.

I was about to experiment with optimal and lazy parsing, but realised (a) that doesn't work well with my current search scheme, and (b) this current approach likely loses MANY possible matches.

So I'm currently looking at efficient ways to find many matches concurrently, using vector operations...

--
    C

Thanks
    the joys of LZ coding...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyBob View Post
    A few more details (sorry, last night I was tired and on cold/flu meds

It uses a 16MB buffer for history, so 24bit offset values. So combined with the (64k x 16 x 4 = 4MB) hash table, it requires 20MB to compress / decompress. The buffer is not a sliding history - offsets are absolute, and the buffer is discarded when a new frame is started.

Originally I was storing and checking the first byte, for hash validation, in the top byte of the offset, but that hurt compression.

I played with a few trivial hash functions, and did see improved results... so perhaps an area worth more investigation.

Shelwin,
    thanks for the links - I had not looked in depth at those. I had read Charles' paper on LZP.
    from the look of it, it may be worthwhile experimenting with different dimensions on the hash table - smaller hash, deeper lists.

--
    Curtis
    don't drop the whole compressed block and start a new one. you can just drop the first half block away and use the last half block for matching.
    absolute offset is not an issue, you can batch cut them down when a half-block is finished.
    this strategy is implemented in orz, see https://github.com/richox/orz/blob/master/src/main.rs.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RichSelian For This Useful Post:

FunkyBob (7th April 2019)

Thanks
    So last night I got my faster match function working (4bytes at a time, not 1) with significant improvements. I might detail that in another post; not because it's novel, but more for documentation for others.

I also tried using a shorter list of matches (16, not 12 as recommended by a rant by cbloom. It hurt compression ratio, but (of course) drastically improved speed. Additionally, this means I can pack a (short ... up to 7 bytes) match into a single byte.
    enwik8 is 54,246,622 in ~8 seconds.

I had considered cutting up the history into smaller chunks, and just rolling them along. Might investigate that on my long flight today [heading to Copenhagen from Australia...]

This was all triggered by an idea for a fast lookup index structure, so I might also try that, in what I might describe as a "Length Limited LZ"...

--
    C

Thanks
    So after more and more playing, I now have:

- a new API that avoids lots of memory allocation and all file IO
    - a 64k x 16 buffer of history pointers
    - a faster 8-byte per loop string matcher. (gotta love ctzl )

I just tried switching from a 2-byte context to 3 (hashed as a<<8 ^ b<<4 ^ c) and it regained a lot of the lost compression, and then some.

It now takes ~11sec to compress enwik8 to 51,391,141
    and ~1m38sec to compress enwik9 to 449,420,341

I'm now trying double the depth... which requires changing the encoding, and is slower.

After that, I guess next step is to try lazy parsing...

--
    Curtis

Thanks
    So, with 32 entries per hash slot, (and so only up to MML+2 for single byte match encoding, instead of +6) and:
    - encoding time roughly doubles, as we test for twice as many potential matches.
    - compression improves slightly.

enwik8 : 49,997,389
    enwik9 : 435,913,931

Thanks
    LZ4 result is supposedly 42,870,164?
    I think you need to beat at least that?

Also, maybe use a better hash function? Like, involving some multiplication by a prime number?

Thanks
    So, indeed, a hash function based on multiplying each byte by a different prime, then xoring and masking to size... improved compression a tiny amount.

So here I am, with the improved hash function:
    Code:
    return (a * 6151) ^ (b * 3079) * (c * 1543) & HASH_MASK;

enwik8: 49,157,057
    enwik9: 428,393,440

Instead, I tried a lazy parser... with poor results.

First, I tried checking this match against the next, and if the next was longer, encoding a literal, and the next match. Compression was worse.

enwik8: 50,140,228
    enwik9: 435,721,549

Then I adjusted to make the next match have to be a bit larger if there were no pending literals. Worse again.

enwik8: 59,880,961
    enwik9: 519,594,101

Now I adjust for encoding size (match lengths of 3+MML or more require a second byte). This regained some of the compression:

enwik8: 49,330,209
    enwik9: 429,692,408

Next, if the next position had a longer match, I emitted a literal, and cycled on... so any number of positions could be skipped so long as we kept getting better matches.
    Compression was oddly identical.

enwik8: 49,330,209
    enwik9: 429,692,408

Am going to add a "make silesia" to my makefile so I can see results on that corpus.

Thanks
    So as a detour, I implemented a more "traditional" LZ that outputs either a literal run (or 1 to 128 lits), or a match.

Matches are variable sized, 2 or 3 bytes offsets, 1 or 2 byte lengths.

I've added lazy parsing, and got it to re-use the work to find the next match when available.

I've pushed "encoding size" compensation down into the "find best match" loop. [Slowed things, but improved compression].

And still uses a hash table of the N-last offsets for places to look for matches.

Oh, and I swtiched my hashing function to crc32, using the [yes, non-portable] intel crc32 instruction. It's fast, and has a decent spread.

Results? Actually, not so bad.

Code:
    Reference: lz4 -BD -9 -k
    File   | Compressed  | Time
    enwik8 |  42,203,342 | ~11.5sec
    enwik9 | 374,086,002 | ~1m31sec

HASH_DEPTH = 64:

enwik8 |  42,914,828 | ~38.8sec
    enwik9 | 374,719,846 | ~5m42sec

HASH_DEPTH = 128:

enwik8 |  41,486,119 | ~1m9sec
    enwik9 | 362,226,644 | ~10m7sec

Sure, my time is FAR slower, but the compression is now competitive with lz4!

Profiling indicates about 50% of the time is spend in find_match_length... so ideally I need to find ways to avoid calling that - reduce the number of candidates, and increase their quality.

Disappointingly, when I back-ported these changes to my rolz engine, its compression became _worse_.

--
    Curtis

Thanks
    you can replace crc32(x) & 0xFFF with (x*123456791)>>20 which is about as fast but more portable

Thanks
    Thanks, Bulat!

I used >> 16 instead, since I want a 16bit hash... it works, but results for enwik8 worsened a little...

crc32: 42,914,828
    new : 42,922,469

Thanks
    From my paq8px experience, I can say that crc32 vs a multiplicative hash gives comparable results, and small fluctuations are OK between files, and when using different multipliers.
    (A one file-test does not say much.)
    Please try different multipliers, and see which works best in your case testing them on multiple files. The multiplier does not have to be a prime, it just needs to be a large odd number.
    One of the better candidates is the Knuth one:

// Golden ratio of 2^32 (not a prime)
    #define PHI32 UINT32_C(0x9E3779B9) // 2654435769
    // Golden ratio of 2^64 (not a prime)
    #define PHI64 UINT64_C(0x9E3779B97F4A7C15) // 11400714819323198485

I would try that one certainly. In paq8px that is a core constant, works really well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyBob View Post
    So here I am, with the improved hash function:
    Code:
    return (a * 6151) ^ (b * 3079) * (c * 1543) & HASH_MASK;
    When you need to hash a fixed number of values (and the values may include the number zero), something like this seems to work best:

// Golden ratio of 2^32 (not a prime)
    #define PHI32 UINT32_C(0x9E3779B9) // 2654435769

// Some more arbitrary magic (prime) numbers
    #define MUL32_1 UINT32_C(0x993DDEFF)
    #define MUL32_2 UINT32_C(0xE9C91DC1)

// hashing 3 values:
    uint32_t hash(const uint32_t x0, const uint32_t x1, const uint32_t x2) {
    return (x0+1)*PHI32 + (x1+1)*MUL32_1 + (x2+1)*MUL32_2;
    }

uint32_t hash_finalize(const uint32_t hash, const int hashbits) {
    assert(0<hashbits && hashbits<=32);
    return hash>>(32-hashbits);
    }

Use it like this:
    uint32_t hashval = hash_finalize(hash(a,b,c),16);

I don't know how it performs in your case, I recommend you give it a try.

Thanks
    crc is better than multiplication since every output bit depends on every input bit, but difference isn't much. Multipliers closer to 2^31 should be a bit better than my one

function like (x0+1)*PHI32 + (x1+1)*MUL32_1 + (x2+1)*MUL32_2 is slower than crc, also it's zero for trivial FFFFF...FFF input

Thanks
    Thanks all for your input. You sure know how to make a newcomer feel welcome in a community

Well, I feel right now I'm better off finding a better data structure to yield higher quality match candidates, as most of my time appears to be spent in the match length function.

Fine tuning the hashing function can come later, if it's needed at all

Thanks
    With much help from Selwin and others, I've now got something that (a) compresses fast, and (b) compresses OK*

https://github.com/funkybob/zoom/tree/master/basiclz4

(* it's not as good as LZ4, but it's not far off).

Literals and Matches are differentiated by the high bit of the first byte being 0 (literal) or 1 (match).

Literal runs are encoded with a preceding run length byte, 0 meaning 1 literal, 0x7f meaning 128.

Matches are encoded as the length | 0x80, followed by the 16bit offset.

It has two modes -- greedy, or lazy. Currently it requires recompiling to switch between. Lazy is 50 to 100% slower, for a not insignificant gain in compression.

The "lazy" parsing has no limit to how many matches it will skip, so long as it keeps finding better matches.

This, of course, opens the corner case of skipping so many literals, it could have encoded a smaller match in there, though I think this is unlikely.

From my analysis, it's lagging behind LZ4s compression because:

1. LZ4 can encode match / literal lengths in 4bits

2. LZ4 omits explicit match/literal flags by just assuming every match is preceded by literals, and just wearing the cost [4bits] when it's wrong.

As it is, I'm pleased that I've got this far, and now hope to improve compression with smarter parsing experiments.

--
    Curtis

Thanks
    Thanks to Shelwien for spotting a bug, the fix for which may have even given a tiny performance improvement.

Whilst searching for the problem, I noticed some of the lazy parsing was not really winning me anything, because whilst i was accounting for the overhead of creating a new literal run _before_ the match, I wasn't for after.

As it turns out, upping the penalty of starting a new literal match from 1 to 2 has improved this, and slightly improved compression.