Thread: Which is the best opensource compression for recompressing mpeg videos ??

Thanks

Question Which is the best opensource compression for recompressing mpeg videos ??

I want your opinion and guidence on recompressing the mpeg videos.
    Which one of the opensource compressorstou think is best for backing up videos?

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

so now we are talking about conversion into another format?
    => only one serious alternative: x264!
    Get yourself xmedia-recode or FormatFactory and have fun Both are freeware, but use opensource programs as backend.
    To be honest, there are a few more very handy tools out in the wild: h264encoder, HandBrake, WinFF, FFconverter,...
    If your are willing to make your bacchelor of converting, take the commandline-prog: x264.nl has the most recent version of x264.exe (version 1318 at this moment)

Best regards!

Edit: If you are talking about packing a movie into an archive, please stop here and move to this topic.

Edit 2: I removed MediaCoder because it claims to be OpenSource but isn't for a few months already.
    Last edited by Vacon; 6th November 2009 at 22:22.

Thanks
    Internet with 10mbit connection i download hd video in one night

Thanks

Two more links.
    The Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer:
    http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
    and the matroska page,
    http://www.matroska.org/index.html
    which has some nice links itself:
    http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

hmmm... S.U.P.E.R. is suspected to install more than the user really wants, but if that's not the case, it's really worth a try! If I remember correctly, it can encode into flv-container with h264-codec.
    Regarding Matroska (mkv): isn't it a container-format? As far as I know it can be filled with various kinds of encoded material, so the size would depend on the input, wouldn't it? If that's true one would still have to find a powerful codec. Hence x264 comes into discussion. There are few codecs that compress equal or more, preserving the same quality (to mention potentionally one: snow). And even less that can be shown by media-players or even hardware.

Edit 2: Having said that about S.U.P.E.R. I just found FormatFactory 2.15 trying to install some toolbars too! Keep your eyes open!

Best regards!
    Last edited by Vacon; 1st November 2009 at 21:06. Reason: Typos (hopefully) fixed and link added. Plus new comment.

Thanks
    For improve compression/quality you have to use Avisynth. I make DVDRip. I compress DVDR in 200-250mb. Nice, no?? I suggest you that you can use "HybridFuPP.avs" filter with Avisynth. Last Avisynth version is 2.60 beta 2.

P.S. My last rip is "star trek" (120minutes) 4,5 Gb >> 250 mb

Thanks

When you play a .mkv file in VLC player, Cntrl+J shows the used video- and audio codecs.
    Avc1/h264 is mostly used for video. In web-releases it is called x264, after the x264 encoder.
    Audio varies more, but a52/ac-3 is topdog. Audio and framerate can influence size a lot.

Thanks
    yes Fallon, that's right. Audio films (for example Star trek) has size of 16 mb!!
    I use enc_aacPlus with Normalize.exe, the quality is High!!

Thanks
    I've been on the topic too recently, however I was looking for a lossless recompressor...and found nothing.
    I couldn't even find a way to gain by compressing PCM audio.

Does anybody know anything that could help?

Thanks

You can try and ask at the doom9 forum.
    Here is a small app I like to mention anyway.
    http://www.makemkv.com/
    http://www.makemkv.com/aboutmkv/
    Last edited by Fallon; 4th November 2009 at 15:17.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallon View Post
    You can try and ask at the doom9 forum.
    Here is a small app I like to mention anyway.
    http://www.makemkv.com/
    http://www.makemkv.com/aboutmkv/
    Thanks for a good pointer.
    This tool didn't do what I needed, but with help of VirtualDubMod + Avanti (ffmpeg gui) + ffmpeg I managed to make matroska files with wavpack audio.

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    Thanks for a good pointer.
    This tool didn't do what I needed, but with help of VirtualDubMod + Avanti (ffmpeg gui) + ffmpeg I managed to make matroska files with wavpack audio.
    Cleaning up my HDD I just found an old version of GVC. I had a look if there would be some newer version / update and found FFcoder. Here (to come to the end ) I stumbled upon that codec, which claims to be lossless. I do not know anything about it's results, but sourcecode seems open.

Edit: I removed MediaCoder from my first posting, because I just noticed that it isn't OpenSource anymore (call me sleepy, but it's true: I *just* noticed it. But It's closedsource for a few months already...) Sorry...

Best regards!
    Last edited by Vacon; 6th November 2009 at 22:24. Reason: Additional info

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacon View Post
    Hello everyone,

Cleaning up my HDD I just found an old version of GVC. I had a look if there would be some newer version / update and found FFcoder. Here (to come to the end ) I stumbled upon that codec, which claims to be lossless. I do not know anything about it's results, but sourcecode seems open.

Edit: I removed MediaCoder from my first posting, because I just noticed that it isn't OpenSource anymore (call me sleepy, but it's true: I *just* noticed it. But It's closedsource for a few months already...) Sorry...

Best regards!
    Thanks, but Avanti is a very nice GUI.

Lagarith - cool, I expect we might be using codecs like this regularly when space becomes cheap enough (display resolution grows slower than HDD capacity), but it seems far from now.
    I tried to recompress a 100 MB MPG. Speed is good, but 1.2 GB output is unsatisfactory.

Tester
    Thanks
    Losslessly compressing artefacted video worsens the compression compared to original input IMO. It could be good for anime (with large areas of single color)
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates