Thread: compressing a really small 1k .COM file

Thanks

compressing a really small 1k .COM file

Okay, this is fairly useless, but I'm vaguely curious and find it hilarious, so just showing you my results and wondering what you think.

P.S. Original file w/ srcs is here.

820 befi5.paq8px
    853 befi5.paq8o8z
    884 befi1.paq8o8z
    907 befi1.paq8px
    923 befi.com.lzma
    930 befi.gz
    945 befi.lzh
    967 befi.esp
    984 befi-ppmd.7z
    1,016 befi-624s.com
    1,017 befi.zip
    1,023 befi-apack.com
    1,024 befi-original.com
    1,025 befi-lzma.7z
    1,102 befi.com.bz2
    1,123 befi-bz2.7z

Thanks
    Nice work, though I'd encourage you trying to further optimize the COM file instead of compressing it - although Befunge is quite complex and "simple LFN support" sounds nice, there's always room for optimizations. From this year's Hugi Size Coding Competition (http://www.frontiernet.net/~fys/hugi/hcompo.htm), I learned that there are some really good people and techniques to optimize assembler code. Unoptimized code from this competition is about 1000 bytes, 512 bytes with some trivial optimizations. At the end, the winner got it down to 120 bytes - and it still creates and displays a particular set of random mazes, although the code looks like a big pile of junk

By the way, rename the file to "b" to get a slightly better result Of course, this could be improved further by just removing the PAQ header at the beginning of the file (20 bytes including the filename).

Code:
    813 b.4.paq8px
    EDIT: Had a quick look at your asm code, main things I'd have a look at for further optimizations:

• The PRNG of course - it's quite large for an assembler PRNG and uses some magic variables that could perhaps be changed to point to some parts of the code that provide good substitutions.
    • dee - I'm not sure what it's used for yet, but it's quite likely that you can generate the string in less than 12 bytes.
    • The "cmp al,.. j(n)e" parts - some of these are quite repetitive and could be redundant.
    • A quite common optimization is using pusha/popa (1 byte commands) instead of multiple push/pop statements if it doesn't hurt that all registers get on the stack.
    Last edited by schnaader; 27th November 2009 at 02:06.
    http://schnaader.info
    Damn kids. They're all alike.

Thanks
    http://ctxmodel.net/files/mix_test/mix_test_vA1.rar

09h2x3\o1rc.exe c befi.com befi.ari -> 820 bytes
    09h2x3\o1rc.exe d befi.ari befi.unp

Also there's a 5-byte header (filesize + rc pad byte),
    so its 815 actually.

Its from the previous thread about simple CM models
    for executable compression.
    http://encode.dreamhosters.com/showp...3&postcount=14

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by schnaader View Post
    Nice work, though I'd encourage you trying to further optimize the COM file instead of compressing it
    Easier said than done! Original TASM version was 1280, I added and removed some very minor stuff, got it to 1213 when I converted to FASM. From there was the real work. (Heck, I wasn't even sure it was possible.) I wanted to see if I could match aPACK's 1024 result (two clusters of a floppy). Of course, manual tweaking eventually hurt compression (obviously). But I did it! Funny to me is that now aPACK only saves one byte and 7-Zip adds one.

- although Befunge is quite complex and "simple LFN support" sounds nice,
    Note that this is Befunge93, so there is no language file support, and all I needed was to open the .b93 script from cmdline. Mainly useful for tab completion under Windows or DOSEMU, etc.

there's always room for optimizations. ... (Hugi rocks!)
    Yes, I know they are super smart, but I was working alone. I even briefly mentioned it on alt.lang.asm, but I didn't get much interest, so oh well.

By the way, rename the file to "b" to get a slightly better result Of course, this could be improved further by just removing the PAQ header at the beginning of the file (20 bytes including the filename).
    Yeah, halfway through I remembered that the filename itself takes space. Heh. But it feels like cheating to rename. And obviously PAQ's RAM usage isn't ideal for 1k files. But it's the best, I can't ignore it!

EDIT: Had a quick look at your asm code, main things I'd have a look at for further optimizations:
    [*]The PRNG of course - it's quite large for an assembler PRNG and uses some magic variables that could perhaps be changed to point to some parts of the code that provide good substitutions.
    Yeah, it's overkill when only used for '?', but I blindly figured it was better for random than other methods, so I didn't mess with it much.

[*]dee - I'm not sure what it's used for yet, but it's quite likely that you can generate the string in less than 12 bytes.
    Maybe, but I didn't think of anything offhand. (12 bytes isn't that much room for extra instructions!)

[*]The "cmp al,.. j(n)e" parts - some of these are quite repetitive and could be redundant.
    A lot of that couldn't easily be removed without some adjustments for the jmp [di+table1] etc. parts. In particular, the ten "dw lpush" parts for the 0..9 digits is horribly redundant, but I can't remove that without adding other adjustments.

[*] A quite common optimization is using pusha/popa (1 byte commands) instead of multiple push/pop statements if it doesn't hurt that all registers get on the stack.
    Good idea. Honestly, I almost dislike the idea that it uses 386 anything, esp. since it's 99% 16-bit (which is smaller code, usually, esp. due to db 66h overrides). But it's not easy without some rewriting due to 32-bit stack needed. More annoying is the bugs I don't know how to fix, but oh well. It's just for fun, so I don't care.