Thread: PeaZip 2.1

Thanks

PeaZip 2.1

Hi, I've just released PeaZip 2.1.
    In this version I followed the Bulat Ziganshin's advice about enhancing its interface to a general purpose file manager. It was a really good advice, I have to thank Bulat very much for have finally convinced me to take this step for PeaZip's interface and I hope other people may like the result.

The release now also allows drag and drop from application to the system (only on Windows, for the moment) through a custom function which doesn't need to copy files to system's temporary folder on drag&drop operation (see in example discussion http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4410375 ), which allows faster execution and avoids to leave tracks on unwanted paths.

Finally, another IMHO very nice security feature is the possibility to use keyfiles for any supported format: keyfiles (of any size) are hashed with SHA256 and the Base64-encoded (RFC 464 hash is pre-pended to the password.
    The use of keyfiles is of course optional and doesn't break the compatibility with other applications since you can open files encrypted using keyfiles simply calculating the hash and prepending it to the password as specified in program's documentation.
    I hope this way to operate may be used also by other archiving programs since enhances security against dictionary and some social engineering attacks.

More information on http://peazip.sourceforge.net/
    Last edited by giorgiotani; 19th May 2008 at 10:44.

Thanks
    Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

thank you very much:

> through a custom function which doesn't need to copy files to system's
    > temporary folder on drag&drop operation, allowing faster execution and
    > avoiding to leave tracks on unwanted paths.

Your words in Igor's ears...

Best regards!

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

first look -> great!

second look ->
    would it be possible to make PeaZip have a two-panels-view (as 7-zip)?
    Or have I missed something?

Best regards!

Thanks
    Thank you for the positive feedback!
    On the two panels mode (as ortodox file manager), I've not jet planned about it since I designed PeaZip as navigational file manager since early versions (even if it was, strictly speaking an archiver browser only until last version) and I quite like this paradigm of file management since in my experience is very intuitive and immediate for user of any level of experience (of course, I think no paradigm is absolutely better than another, IMHO it's mainly a matter of personal tastes).
    However it could be an interesting thread for the future to add different modes following different file manager paradigms.

About custom drag&drop function, the working example is in the source (StringGridListMouseUp event function) and I think it would not be very difficult to port it in other languages to be used in other projects, since it mainly rely on Windows API (that's why I pushed it back it several times, since I tend to prefer portable code rather than API based one).
    Only one thing, it doesn't use system's drag&drop handling mechanism (that's why it has the advantage of not needing to copy data to temp) so it will not show classic Windows drag and drop icons and will not be able, say, to higlight a folder and drag and drop items into *that* folder, it will just drop items to the path of the Explorer's window path where the mouse is at the time of mouseup event.
    But on a project so well integrated with Windows API as 7-Zip, i think the standard drag and drop handler used by the application could be queried to recognize if the mouse is pointing to a directory in the Explorer's window, and possibly to improve the custom drop procedure to get its path.
    Since an archive manager may often deal with large amount of archived data and/or encrypted data, I think this model of drag and drop operation may be very useful for that type of applications.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks Giorgio!

Thanks
    Today I released the installable and portable package of PeaZip 2.1 for 64 bit Windows systems.
    I replaced the 7z component with the 64 bit counterpart and I'll do the same with other backend components as soon as 64 bit versions becomes available and undergo sufficient testing in PeaZip frontend.
    Windows 64 installer was built with InnoSetup, on a Vista 64 bit machine using the directive for AMD64 architecture; the iss script is available between source packages.