Thread: Ian Sutton's archivers (Boa, Arc)

Thanks
    I realize there is only a slim chance, but...

You all know of Boa Constrictor archiver v0.58b, which is readily available on the net, including the SAC pack collection.

But does anyone have a copy of the *older* version 0.50?

Why? It compressed better than the latter -- and final -- version 0.58b.

It seems that the author, Ian Sutton, tweaked the engine for better speed performance but it lost compression ratio in the meantime.

Yes, I tried to contact Ian via email -- with every email address I could find on the net, but no luck. He's probably out of the compression scene by now.

And, while we're on the subject of Ian Sutton, he also authored another experimental archiver (using BWT+Arithmetic) called "Arc". It was released in June 1999. I've been unable to find that one, either. Anyone have a copy?

LovePimple!, from what I've read of your posts, you seem like someone who might have a large collection of old compressors/archivers. Any info/sightings of these old archivers?

Thanks all.

Thanks
    LovePimple!, from what I've read of your posts, you seem like someone who might have a large collection of old compressors/archivers.

I do; but like yourself I didn't realise how important it is to keep copies of ALL files in the early days. I did have copies of both archivers but they were deleted when later versions were released.

Thanks
    I did have copies of both archivers but they were deleted when later versions were released.

Oh nooo!... shame on you!

Well, I never purposely deleted old copies of archivers but I've lost my share due to HD failure and failed backups (this was before CD-Rs).

Thanks anyway.

Thanks
    Oh nooo!... shame on you!

Indeed!

Hello everyone,

is this what you are searching (at least ARC)?
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~aipnl/

Thanks
    is this what you are searching (at least ARC)?

No, the "Arc" link found on that page is an old archiver by SEA (which predates PKZip, Btw). It's my fault, I should have been more explicit. The name "Arc" is such common shorthand for 'archiver' that misunderstandings are to be expected.

The "Arc" archiver I was looking for was from Ian Sutton and was built sometime in 1999. The final remnants of Arc (by SEA) were probably released sometime in the late 80's, as PKZip became dominant after that and SEA's Arc faded away.

I think Ian probably just used the name Arc as a placeholder until the day he decided to widely release it, at which time he might have given it a more original name.

Thanks anyway.

Thanks
    ARC was an experimental BWT + Arithmetic compressor written June 1999 by Ian Sutton. The program (Win32) was non-public and the only way to get a copy was to e-mail the author (isutton at idirect.com).