Thread: Black_Fox's Benchmark

Tester
    Thanks

Black_Fox's Benchmark

Black_Fox's dynamic benchmark
    http://blackfox.wz.cz/benchmark/

Features displaying arbitrary number of tested compressors, hiding (and user-selectable showing) of non-current versions, and most importantly, sorting by any of given criteria (all entries are sorted, not just the displayed ones). It's possible to show compressors from certain family only, there are highlights for very good or very bad results.

Not all compressors have been transfered from previous version of benchmark, which can still be found here (full version) and here (light version).

Got some time to update, though I didn't test everything I wanted to.
    In queue still waits: LPAQ9, 4x4, FreeArc, PAQ8o10t, did I miss any release since 04/2008?
    Updates:
    • BALZ 1.05 - 1.13
    • Packet 0.01 - 0.03b
    • RINGS 1.5c
    • RZM 0.07h
    • CMM4 0.1e + 0.01f

EDIT: Benchmark won't be updated anymore, 9 of 12 files (those I believe to be legally distributable) are available for public download here. Also note that for save the real extension is .g3savdat (.zip is to show it's precompable archive).
    Last edited by Black_Fox; 6th August 2009 at 13:09.
    I am... Black_Fox... my discontinued benchmark
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks BF!

Thanks

Cool

Thank you!

Tester
    Thanks

Hi BlackFox!

Thanks for test! Hi!

Tester
    Thanks
    New additions:
    • PAQ8o10t
    • BIT 0.2b
    • Packet 0.90
    • Flashzip 0.9
    "No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time? I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again." -- Bill Gates

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks BF!

Tester
    Thanks
    THANKS BlackFox! Hi!

Tester
    Thanks
    Hi, as the truly latest X-mas present (at least in my timezone) I added two more compressors into my benchmark:
    • Bit 0.7
    • ppmx 0.03

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Thanks! Merry Christmas!
    BIT Archiver homepage: www.osmanturan.com

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks BF!

Merry XMAS!

Tester
    Thanks
    Added some more compressors into the list:
    • BCM 0.04
    • ZPAQ 0.01, 0.03 and 0.04

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks BF!

Tester
    Thanks

Wink

It's becoming clear I won't be adding new entires into the benchmark anymore, so... would anyone on this forum be interested to have all 12 files that were used for testing?

Thanks
    1.) I'm interested at least
    2.) What so special in those files?
    3.) What makes you to do such decision. I mean that you decided not to add new entries anymore?

Tester
    Thanks
    2) There's nothing "special" about them, they are real-world chosen to have a representative size and to consist of multiple file types.

3) I have neither time nor motivation to conduct more tests... My benchmark was first which offered dynamic displaying of compressors/archivers families, allowed sorting by different criteria (read: column) and generally tried to be more user-friendly than other sites.
    However, Sportman has created his benchmark after that, that allows testing on arbitrary files and also authors can put their programs into the test by themselves, which is IMO a huge advantage over any other existing benchmark.
    Another reason is, as you pointed out, that 29 MB of files isn't representative enough at all, but at the same time I don't have computational power to work with bigger sample of files. So I think, it'll be better to leave it as it is for future reference and release all the files with unfortunate exception of MP3, as it's copyrighted.

Tester
    Thanks

We hope in new benchmark

I am very happy that this part of the Forum "Data compression" has become so followed by a lot of people! I believe that all can create a proper Benchmark of compression! First of all needs to create a program that the files can compare and to make some tests, subsequently advises to choose the Test-set of files! Be possible to open a page internet without paying nothing (free) and to manage I for example recommend you to her FileZilla! There am so many guide in internet to create and to maintain a site internet!

Tester
    Thanks
    I can't share the DLL, TXT1 and MP3 files, everything else is in first post of this topic.