Thread: Released PeaZip 1.7

Thanks
    Finally I released PeaZip 1.7; I was busy for a while to work on a new benchmarking software so I was not sure to be able to update PeaZip this month, but I did!
    I updated frontend for QUAD 1.12 and UPX (now at 3.0), added keyboard shortcuts for improving "create archive" and "browse archive" usability, created context menu entries for the windows version and reduced 4 MB of disk space for the Linux versions (due to UPX compression of some executables).
    Probably the most notable update is the introduction of the possibility to define default output paths for compression and extraction, or alternatively to use current (input) path or to be asked for each operation; this allows to strongly customize the usage "style" of the program to fit the likes of users accustomed to different archivers.

Thanks
    Great! Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanks Giorgio!

Tester

Thanks
    Thanks Giorgio for your work!
    But on my pc context menu entries doesn't work for multiple files
    SendTo entries work fine!

Thanks
    Hello,
    Great program
    Please add extension to default archive name in save as dialog box.
    Otherwise you have to write it everytime you create an archive with same name as folder or Peazip open that folder instead of create archive.
    Thank you for your attention.

Thanks
    @Squxe:
    Thank you for the feedbak!
    This unfortunately is an inconsistency of Windows that made me quite angered during development:
    if you pass multiple items to a registry entry pointing to a program you will have each item passed to a different instance of that program and no way is provided to pass all parameters to a single program instance as if they are passed from a command line!
    That is very silly because that mechanism of passing all input items as separate parameters of a single command works for scripts, shells commands, links, .desktop files... and more important it works on any target system, either on *x and all Windows systems... BUT it won't work only for Windows registry...
    A totally unrelated mechanism (and, needless to say, absolutely useless out of Windows word) is required to pass more than *one* parameter per instance to applications throug Windows registry.
    I could bloath my code to support this convoluted and incompatible with the rest of the world mechanism (and incompatible with other ways to talk to applications even implemented in Windows), or I could keep it simple and portable (a single codebase expose program's internal function to all communication mechanisms on all platform, but Windows registry); maybe I'll change my mind in future but for now I prefer to circumvent this limitation with SendTo links which in facts accepts multiple, separated parameters on a single command like all other mechansims to talk to application on any system.
    Context menu entries works fine for archiving a single item (in fact the entry says it send input to separate archives, which is a function not offered in SendTo links) or to create or extract separate archives in batch (each instance will be launched in parallel, maximizing the process efficiency).
    I hope separating itmes which can be implemented effectively as context menu entries and other which can be implemented more effectively as SendTo entries may offer to users a more agile and intuitive interface (in fact so it seem to me after one week of testing the near final application before release), and not to bring a source of confusion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kepler
    Please add extension to default archive name in save as dialog box.
    Otherwise you have to write it everytime you create an archive with same name as folder or Peazip open that folder instead of create archive.
    Hi, thanks for posting!
    Yes, I noticed it and Im working on changing this behaviour (I dislike it too); otherwise for the moment you can redirect the archive to another destination, which does not contain the folder with that name, to avoid this.

Thanks
    I just published on SourceForge my first attempt to build a generic Linux RPM for PeaZip ground up; it installs the program in /bin/peazip path.
    http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.ph p?group_id=178996&sel_platform=489
    On my production machine (a quite old but still rocking Suse 10) all works fine but I know on different distros it can go on differently, so please report to me problems if you experience it with that RPM.

By the way, I user rpmpm to build it and it seem a really good program! http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/RPM+Package+M aker?content=33228