Thread: jZip – a free alternative to WinZip

Thanks
    The new free jZip
    > Create, extract and manipulate Zip, RAR, TAR, GZip, 7-Zip and other file archives
    > jZip is absolutely FREE for everybody, home and enterprise users
    > jZip is an easy to use and fast archiving software
    > jZip is based on proven 7-Zip technology by Igor Pavlov

No Adware / No Spyware / No Pop-Ups / No Trojans

Software Features
    * Create Zip compatible files
    * Unzip any Zip file archives
    * Supports other archive formats like TAR, GZip and RAR
    * Improved compression ratio
    * Fast compression engine

Is jZip Reliable?
    jZip is a powerful and reliable compression utility. jZip is based on proven and reliable 7-Zip archiving technology by Igor Pavlov. jZip sports an elegant, easy to use yet powerful user interface.

1. So what is jZip?
    jZip is a new and free compression utility for Windows. jZip supports multiple popular archive formats such as Zip, RAR, 7z, ISO, TAR and GZip. It is fully compatible with archives created by other utilities such as WinZip, WinRar and 7-Zip

2. How is it different from other compression utilities?
    jZip is built on proven and reliable 7-Zip technology. 7-Zip technology is fast and achieves compression ratios that are higher or equivalent to other leading compression programs. 7-Zip differs from applications like WinZip when it comes to cost. jZip is FREE and we plan to keep it free for both home and enterprise users. We believe that the ability to create and open archive files should be free and available to all.

3. Is jZip a new compression format?
    No. jZip is not a new format. jZip supports known formats such as Zip, RAR, 7z, TAR and GZip and is compatible with other compression programs like WinZip, WinRar and 7-Zip.

4. Is jZip reliable? Will my file be safe?
    jZip is fully compatible with all your current Zip, RAR, 7z and many other formats. Creating a high quality and reliable compression engine is not an easy task. In order to provide the most reliable compression experience jZip was built on top of a state of the art compression engine - 7-Zip - a well proven, highly reliable compression engine.

5. Do I need to download 7-Zip in order to use jZip?
    No, this is not required. The 7-Zip compression engine is integrated in jZip. All you need to do is to download and install jZip.

6. How much does jZip cost? Is there a Pro version?
    jZip is 100% FREE for all - Individuals, schools, corporations, government agencies, etc. There is no Pro version - all features were included in one standard version

7. Is there a Mac version? What about a Linux version?
    Both a Mac and Linux versions are on our roadmap and we intend to make these available later this year or in 2008

8. What do I do next?
    Since jZip is completely free the best next step is to simply click on the download button below, install jZip and start using it. We are sure that you will find it easy to use and useful and we would love to get any feedback.

jZip started out of the frustration of having to pay for a good Windows compression program. High quality, easy to use compression should be free to all. No limitations, no restrictions, no 30 day trial (yes, you know who were talking about!).

Thats why we sat down to develop jZip.

On July 2007 we launched our first release of jZip and were working hard to improve it with more functionality. We want to make jZip the best compression utility.

If you have ideas for new features, requests, comments, let us know.

If theres something that you dont like - wed love to know that too. Well do our best to make jZip better.

Thank you for supporting jZip.
    http://www.jzip.com/

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

hmm..., based on 7-zip...
    which license do they use?
    Free does not mean OpenSource
    Has anyone tested jZip or has deeper knowledge about it?
    I'm at work again ...

Best regards!

Thanks
    Its closed source. There are 2 paragraphs from the EULA:

RESTRICTIONS
    Except as otherwise set forth herein, You are entitled to use the Software for your own use, but you may not: (i) copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, broadcast, republish, upload, distribute publicly or create derivative works based on the Software or otherwise commercially exploit the Software; (ii) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise reproduce the Software; (iii) delete or obscure any copyright, trademark or other proprietary notices on the Software; (iv) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Software; (v) rent, lease or license the Software to others without the prior written consent of the Company; or (vi) exploit the Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose. You may not use the Software on or over a network or any other transfer device (including the Internet). Use of the Software on more than one computer constitutes copyright infringement and may be punishable by civil fines, criminal penalties, or both.

[...]

EXPORT RESTRICTIONS
    You acknowledge that the software, data and other underlying information or technology licensed hereunder is subject to the export control laws and regulations of the United States, and any amendment thereof. You acknowledges that no software, data and other underlying information or technology licensed hereunder may be accessed, downloaded, used, possessed or otherwise exported or re-exported into (or to a national or resident of) Angola, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, or any other country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods, or anyone on the U.S. Treasury Departments list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Departments Table of Denial Orders.
    jZip uses 7-zip 4.42 dlls without modification, so probably its legal.

Thanks
    jzip is even advertised on 7- zip site, so igor is probably happy with it.

jzip is a very good project. if there is better cooperation between jzip authors and igor, then jzip can take care about gui stuff and igor can continue improving compression engine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey7
    jzip is even advertised on 7- zip site, so igor is probably happy with it.
    unfortunately, it looks like a paid advertisement. there is no even word on 7-zip forum

although, its very likely that its the same people that tried to buy 7-zip site and make paid "Pro" version

Thanks
    I think igor isnt that happy with it, because in the last year he develops mostly features for a better usability of 7-zip and not for a better engine.

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

as jZip-support told me a few minutes ago, they are working on other languages at the moment.

Best regards!

Thanks
    I couldn't find a list of supported operating systems at the site.

Win 9x/ME ?

Win 2K, XP, 2K3, Vista, etc ?

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

the only hint I can give right now is that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Download.com
    Requirements: Windows XP/Vista

Thanks
    Hi again,
    Just finished my backlog reading on this forum as of lzpm007.
    Many thanks for all the blogging. It's nice to read here again.

Anyway, reply to a mail I send to jzip:

'We are working to make the next version of jZip compatible with more versions of Windows. Check back later for that'

I think Igor does his own thing and it's still going strong. 7-Zip also got some features other archivers don't have, like unpacking of a lot of msi-files.

Thanks
    Thanks Vacon, Fallon!